Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Chaplain Rework Discussion/Suggestion Smackdown
[quote pid='76628' dateline='1468501935']
(07-13-2016, 05:50 PM)poland spring Wrote: phantom of the opera gimmicks
(07-13-2016, 09:26 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: The organ should have playable keys. Certain sequences should do secret stuff.
I'd like the Organ to be hackable, so you can play it remotely and other fun stuff, but I also don't want it to be 'too complex to play'. I'd rather have  'use with empty hand for random tune' then yet another tool on the station that requires a Phd in a relevant field to operate.
[/quote]

Why not both? Just have an auto mode that does random tunes, or right click it and toggle manual mode to play specific notes and keys.
(07-14-2016, 08:23 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Why not both?
Cause when I'm not writing the code, I like to dream small. Pipe-dreams are swell (pun intended), but I put no hope on others making them work.

I like the idea of the priest offering a more proactive alternative to becoming a ghost-drone.
Make there be an organ grinder item, that you can set up and play. Bonus if any monkeys are around.

Emagging it turns it into a Bloody Stupid Johnson machine
Bumping this thread

As there have been talks in deadchat to make the chaplain more of a counter to the wizard and I figured this was the thread to discuss that. Lot of people in the last round I was in felt the wizard is still too OP and two suggestions was that the wizard's spells that allow him to escape get longer cool-downs or by giving the chaplain more powers to counter the wizard.

The wizard spell stuff was just for context if you want to discuss that then please make a thread about it as this discussion is for the Chaplain.
I think Santa is a good model for what a powered Chaplain could be. Some relatively minor spells that are mostly supportive for the crew
I don't think a game mode should be balanced on one dude(ette) who is most likely shit or doesn't even exist. I like how the chaplain is now - they're useful, but not necessary. If we're going to depend on them more, then we need a way to ordain a new chaplain.
Idea: Have a little alter in the chapel. Crewmen can pray to it and receive a one time blessing (some random but minor beneficial effect or trinket)
or a curse if they defile it (random minor harmful effect)

The more prayers happen at the chapel, the better spells a chaplain gets.

If the current chaplain dies, their ghost can interact with the alter and they can transfer their holy powers to someone praying at it if they deem them worthy. (Maybe they leave out a Ouija board and use that to assign them some kind of quest to prove their worth, idk could be fun.)
On roundstart, the Chaplain picks a Religious Domain. The Chaplain may pick their deity, although a random one is provided as a suggestion ala AI names. Once a chaplain selects a deity, they gain the ability to fold paper into special religious hats. All religious hats provide immunity to biblical brain damage, cannot be manually removed by vampires/wraiths and provide one shot chaplain-style spell immunity that destroys the hat when it is used. Each also provides a special benefit based on Religious Domain:

Atheism Fedora: You can *heh. Farting on the bible does not smite you.
Life Nurse Hat: Negates slowness due to pain when worn.
Death Top Hat: Clacks whenever someone on the station dies.
Light Halo: Is a very bright light source of selectable colour.
Order Helmet: Functions as a GPS beacon and cleans a 3x3 as you walk.
Chaos Jester Cap: You *flip instead of slip. Jingles while you walk.
Darkness Hood: Functions as a welding mask that does not obscure vision.
Machinery Antenna: Gives access to binary. Beeps when AI laws change.
Nature Fruit Hat: Continually infuses the wearer with Nectar.

Additionally, the following chemistry recipes are added:
Holy Water + Water = Holy Water
Holy Water + Urine = Unholy Water
Holy Water + Nectar = Honey
Unholy Water + Urine = Unholy Water
Unholy Water + Blood = Changeling Blood
Holy Water + Unholy Water = Salt (screams on creation)

Holy Water cures addictions, diseases and brain damage on life cycles instead of on touch.
Unholy Water causes ectoplasm puke if drunk and melts hats/bibles on contact. Appears as urine, just like holy water = water and changeling blood = blood.
Nectar attracts bees to the player, making them follow and hug you.
I'm not too hot on the idea of these hats being so easily made although I love the idea of them, as well as the chemistry recipes and proposed chemical extensions. I feel like the chaplain should get to start with an appropriate hat, but then undertake some kind of ritual to produce further hats for their domain.

Also I dunno, bees are strict nectarians so I feel like bees might be confused about people smelling like food. They'd never consider trying to drink the rich, sweet, nectar infused blood of a human, but it would definitely make for some questioning of basic assumptions about the universe, like seeing a human puke honey. (Protip: do this in front of a bee sometime)

Edit: Also I know what you're getting at with unholy water but I think it'd be best if it looks like water, and is also described as water. Good luck identifying the sanctity of water at a glance!
As much as I like the ideas of hats and people having faiths and all that, the main reason this was abandoned because it seemed like all of this was a pain in the ass to code?

Start small. Move from there.

Also I'm not quite sure why this is still stickied? It implies the project is still on-going.
(01-24-2017, 09:37 AM)Sundance Wrote: As much as I like the ideas of hats and people having faiths and all that, the main reason this was abandoned because it seemed like all of this was a pain in the ass to code?

Start small. Move from there.

Also I'm not quite sure why this is still stickied? It implies the project is still on-going.

Alot of the earlier ideas in this thread were really cool, and a sort of empty husk of a few of them can be found in the code; albeit not complied.
After this thread, the chaplain was upgraded a bit from useless bit character to somebody that's really nice (but not necessary) to have around when there's an 'unholy' antag. I think that's enough.

No need to make the chaplain a gamemode unto itself, or even worse, a necessity.
the chaplain should have a lessened salary but be paid on commission per funeral service(coffin containing a body, or sufficient amounts of body parts and gibs is launched)
(01-26-2017, 04:20 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: No need to make the chaplain a gamemode unto itself, or even worse, a necessity.

The point of my bump was not this at all. In fact I'm not too sure how you thought it was. The point was that maybe giving more things to counter the wizard would be a good thing (and I thought the best bet was to go to the chaplain thread) seeing how the wizard is still powerful as hell and seeing how most people just get streamed rolled by a semi competent wizard. I figure a chance of someone joining as a Chaplain and being a real threat to a wizard would be better then nerfing the wizard. Maybe I'm wrong and I can accept that. Hell, I still think the escape spells wizards have are the main reason why everyone says they are such a pain to fight but that's neither here nor there.
Chaplains are enough of a threat to wizards, that if a chaplain actively tracks down a wiz, the wizard runs the hell away. This always ends in long runs through hallways, then the wiz just sends a fireball behind him and bam, no more chaplain, instant hard crit, death in minutes. Apparently the chaplain is immune to direct hits from fireballs, but only if he's in the chapel? which seems useless, wizards never go to the chapel, maybe expand that to anywhere?