Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Chaplain Rework Discussion/Suggestion Smackdown
So, as many of you know, I have had an axe to grind for a long while about the chaplain being pointless and boring and shitty and more or less beneath the clown in terms of actual ability to do things and be not a staff assistant with a few extra sets of clothing. I've been tinkering around to fix that, letting chaplain immunities cover many wraith and vampire tricks, and the like, but I've moved fully into the last phase of the rework - reworking religion itself A Pope culture icon.

As it stands, my plan is this. Chaplains start the round with the ability to choose from domains, sort of like the really old system for picking real-world religions to be a member of with a lot less potential headache and racism. The current domains are Light, Darkness, Order, Chaos, Life, Death, Machinery, Nature and Atheism. When you pick a domain, you get a randomly generated god name to go with it, so you're not just a chaplain of Nebulously Defined Space Christ, you're the priest of Strrog the Blazing Blade, God of Light, or Xomkmin the Twerking Cluwne, God of Chaos. This is to encourage chaplains to actually make up a religion based on the name and domain they've got, however paper-thin, or roll with weird name combos.

The meat and potatoes of the rework is that each domain gives 2-3 minor powers that a chaplain can use, allowing them to choose what kind of shit they'd like to do. These powers are not meant to encourage a massive skew in favor of the chaplain at doing something except in very niche situations. They're nice little perks to have that let you do fun gimmicks and assist here and there, not turn into supercop douchebag inquisitor supreme. In addition, traitor chaplains will have access to an evil power for the domain they've picked, that's much more effective and useful for treachery involving that domain. Price of the item that lets you get traitor domain powers is TBD.

I've got two concerns about the rework so far: One, that this might give chaplains a little too much, and two, that chaplain immunities in combination with powers might create hellfucker supercops. I'm willing to tweak, move, reduce, or remove full-blown immunities if that becomes a problem, but I also think that a surfeit of riches is a preferable situation for a job to be in compared to having jack and shit to do 99% of the time. In addition, each round chaplains can only do one domain's gimmick, so they may have a large number of things to choose from, but once they've chosen, they only have a small slice of their potential. Still, some of the domains might get cut away if they dont have a compelling reason to exist.

So far, these are the thoughts I've been having about powers, and the stuff each domain generally does:

Atheism: Either super gimmicky stuff - for instance, the random name generator will always name your god "[yourname] the Smug Bastard, "God"/"Goddess" of Atheism" - or shifting supernatural immunities to stuff like vampires/wraiths/wizards here. I'm hesitant about the latter because it'd mean that if you choose atheism and there are no supernatural antagonists, you're useless, but if you don't and there are, you're screwed. Traitor power: I have no idea.

Life: Something based on the healing touch genetic power, or a long cooldown that lets you stabilize someone in shock or having heart failure, like an on-demand defibrillator without evil uses and a much longer wait between uses. Maybe a stamina buff/regen buff too on a decently long cooldown. Life chaplains are last-ditch paramedics and triage people, basically. Traitor power: give someone diabolical space cancer that grows out of control and makes them explode into mutants and headspiders or something if untreated.

Death: This is hard to think of options for that aren't ridiculously useful or pretty much worthless. Hearing ghosts more often would lead to incessant deadchat spam, resurrection or murder powers are too good, etc.. My thought is to let them see ghosts with no names and (if possible) no hairstyles, if the code allows it, so they can only notice that Scrubs McPubs has like twenty ghosts swarming around them, and figure something's up. It could lead to ghosts leading the chaplain to a changeling mid-feeding, or a traitor resupplying, which is kinda shit, but could also be really funny if the chaplain just charges in like an idiot with no admissible evidence. Traitor power: maybe hear deadchat perfectly, or bind ghosts to items like wraiths possessing an object so the ghosts can fly around wreaking havoc. Something spooky.

Order: Uhhh. SS13 is sort of all chaos all the time, really, so this is a bit hard to think of ideas for. It's mostly in for the Chaos domain unless I get more good ideas.

Chaos: Pandemonium is almost too easy as a power. Just general weird shit, like 2e Wild Magic in DND or playing as a Xom worshipper in Crawl. Possibly with a semi-functional amusement mechanic if I can be assed. Traitor power: Decent cooldown but otherwise free DNA/ID/clothing scrambling for constant getaways?

Light: Photokinesis from genetics is a given, as is possibly glowy and immunity to flashes. Traitor power: superflashing? Blindness?

Darkness: No Cloak of Darkness. Fuck that buggy power. Darkness/light removal power, see in the dark, maybe even as far as some sort of blindsight. Traitor power: Summon The Darkness from the hell pit, blowing out all lights nearby.

Machinery: While I had the really neat idea of a long cooldown emag-reversal power, it turns out there's no standard way to handle being emagged despite the proc being standardized, so that would be a monstrous pain in the ass. Robospeak implant innately is a given. Summon Buddies to send all securitrons and buddies swarming to your location? Traitor power: full screen EMP and emag on a long cooldown.

Nature: I actually have these powers concretely in place, just working on coding them. Bless Weed turns black weed to normal weed, normal weed to white weed, and rainbow weed to omega weed. White and omega weeds don't get further upgrades. Fortify Plant slightly improves all the stats of a potted plant or seed. The traitor power, Mutate Bees, turns targeted bees into murderous waspbees compelled to murder everyone, including their parent unsmigghh

Feel free to post input or thoughts. Criticism/negative opinions are welcome so long as its not purely shitposting.
atheism should allow you to convert any headwear you find into a fedora

and there should be a power that will allow you to bless Cluwnes into regular clowns. or frowns
I appreciate the fact that you're trying to change a useless clown-tier job into something more useful and fun, but I personally don't enjoy the idea of the chaplain becoming the station's friendly neighbourhood wizard.

I do like the idea of choosing gods, but I think it should just be a stupid randomized name that brings a laugh whenever the chaplain demands that we all worship Glorp the inter-dimensional space goose.
babayetu83 Wrote:atheism should allow you to convert any headwear you find into a fedora

and there should be a power that will allow you to bless Cluwnes into regular clowns. or frowns

Blue Clowns

Also Bless Weed? :vince:
I actually support the idea of turning the Chaplain into something useful/worth playing as, and religious powers only make sense. Feels like choosing religious qualities in Civilization.

I'll throw in my two cents about the chosen religions:

--------------------

Atheism: I'd keep this just for the gimmick stuff, honestly. The point of having no godly mojo is that you get no perks, so you're a plain ol' human, and I agree that moving the anti-supernatural stuff here would make it far too situational - basically just make this what current Chaplain is now... with one exception: Traitor Power: Pull an entirely random gun out of your held/pocketed Bible into your active hand. This can be ANYTHING recognized as a gun with a random ammo type (limited to the ammo types the gun can use), so it can be something super strong, or a Zip Gun, or maybe even a Trick Revolver. get in not go out Should have a heavy cooldown so the Traitor Chaplain can't just vomit guns onto the floor.

Life: Healing Touch, Defib, and Regen all sound fine for a healer Chaplain, though I would have a better addendum for the Traitor Power: cause the victim to get a bastardized version of the Bee "disease", causing him to vomit out Bees faster and constantly until the TOX damage kills him or it is cured. Yay, creating life!

Death: For another ability, maybe being able to revert a gibbed person's remains into a functional body again, except how well it works depends on how many gibs you can put into one place - not finding many results in something akin to the Cloner failing, and using gibs from another person's body results in a random foreign limb (you know how one person's limb on another person's body does crazy shit?). Traitor Power: raise an intact corpse into a Zombie that can turn other players into Zombies. (It's not that I don't like the Ghost-possession idea, in fact I love it, but the problem is that it requires the Ghosts to cooperate.)

Order: When I think of Order in Space Station 13, I can see this religion as being the "Annoyer" class. First ability bolts all visible doors for a little while, second ability locks all visible players into Help intent and prevents them from targeting with anything for a little while - you know, to establish order and try to resolve a dangerous situation peacefully. Both should have big cooldowns. Traitor Power: Basically just a Mindslave.

Chaos: No complaints here.

Light: Also okay with everything here, though the Traitor Power might be better as a screen-wide Flash.

Darkness: Fine with this.

Machinery: And this.

Nature: And this.

--------------------

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, as always.
I'm all for redeeming the Chaplain from the fiery pits of obsolescence, but yea. Definitely a slippery slope with the powers especially when you're pretty much dangling an excuse to MurderPaladin in front of the station's collective nose. I think the best way to avoid that would be sticking with mostly utility powers much like the ones you suggested! The traitor powers sound pretty good too.

Speaking of traitor powers, here's a few ideas for some of the domains. I started with Atheism traitor powers because I couldn't help myself.

The Origin of Species: A concentrated beam of pure SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that de-evolves a target into a monkey.

Debate Me: The Chaplain engages a target in a debate. The target, mind still reeling from a truth overdose, takes severe damage and is confused for a short time.

Also maybe make the Atheist's hat work like Oddjob's. Throwing it causes nasty Brute Damage and can sometimes knock the target prone.

As for Order..... Perhaps it could relate to repairing and building? Maybe a power that acts like an extremely long-cooldown RCD? Instead of making anything, though, the power just makes some extremely shiny walls or floor tiles to help in case of explosions or hull breaches. The traitor power could summon a Chaplain-only Warhammer imbued with the power to annihilate the agents of Chaos and Mayhem, I.E the entire station. Extra damage to greyshirts, perhaps?

Nature seems okay, but the traitor power seems a bit underwhelming if there isn't already a bunch of bees (then again I don't play Botanist often, so maybe I'm foolish). Maybe instead it could be some sort of druid-esque power that summons woodland creatures? Think wolves, spiders, maybe a bear. If you really wanted to go woodsy you could take a page from Thief or something and fabricate some sort of forest spirit or something.

Anyways, yea! I'd love to see Chaplain return to the limelight! I think that the quality of a Chaplain usually rests on his/her player and their penchant for gimmicks, but this would definitely add more to the proverbial table, in my opinion.
SL the Pyro Wrote:Order: When I think of Order in Space Station 13, I can see this religion as being the "Annoyer" class. First ability bolts all visible doors for a little while, second ability locks all visible players into Help intent and prevents them from targeting with anything for a little while - you know, to establish order and try to resolve a dangerous situation peacefully. Both should have big cooldowns. Traitor Power: Basically just a Mindslave.
Shit, forgot an addendum to the traitor power: you can only mindslave one person at a time, so mindslaving a second person will have it immediately wear off on the first.
I'm just rip the domains and domain powers directly from pathfinder and/or dnd3.5. they're usually pretty weak and quirky but never not useful

example: the Healing domain's domain power would be to stabilize dying people for a couple minutes
If it were possible, a death chaplain should be able to make a corpse get up and drag itself to the medbay.

And for the machine domain i think being able to bless batteries/devices to hold more power for time or simply add on a short lived power regen would be useful. It'd make security love a machine chaplain for overclocking their tasers.
Order: Clean everything around you. I have no other ideas.
Give an atheist chaplain access to the *smug emote. The one with the face and all that. Have it make a "heh" sound in the game.

No one would choose anything else.
Machine traitor power should be 20u Nanomachine Touch.

Order traitor power should be to inflict somebody with the Sims. You know what I mean.

Order normal power is tricky. Perhaps the Chaplain could be immune to things like mutations or Cluwning. Perhaps they could have the ability to remove mutations or Cluwneness from somebody.
Death power: The chaplain receives a notification in the form of flavor text every time a death occurs. No hint who or where, just the a notice like "You feel a cold chill run down your spine"

If talking to ghosts is something being considered, maybe they should be able to make ouija boards more functional when standing next to them, with a full list of individual letters.
[quote="BruiseCruise"The Origin of Species: A concentrated beam of pure SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that de-evolves a target into a monkey.[/quote]
Maybe the Atheist could speak chimp? Seems like marginally useful abilty.
Frank_Stein Wrote:
BruiseCruise Wrote:The Origin of Species: A concentrated beam of pure SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that de-evolves a target into a monkey.
Maybe the Atheist could speak chimp? Seems like marginally useful abilty.

Ability: The missing link