Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedloaders
Remove stun bullets forever and replace 'em with rubber bullets.

Y'know, the kind you find in the armory for those shotguns.
Dauntasa Wrote:The .38 with stunners loaded is a taser. You give him a taser and he's a sec officer with a funny hat.

I hate to bring up an old post, but after going through a 3 or 4 rounds as Detective today I did want to make a post about speed loaders or lack there of.

I think the quote speaks a lot for what I want to say. With how taking ammo from the detective you are really just making him more of a Security Officer. Wasn't this the opposite of what you wanted when you moved his office away, to make him less of a part of Security, and more of a real true Detective.

I don't have an opinion with the Stun ammo acting like a taser, however bullets are bullets. Not tasers.

The amount of readily available ammo is Incredibly smaller compared to how It was before, so much so I found myself asking for a taser from Security at the start of my round, just so I didn't feel sick after I had to reload twice in one confrontation with a Syndicate (Please no get a better aim comments)

Going onto Syndicates, and trouble that might arise from gun wielding maniacs, When you are likely to need the use of Deadly ammunition you have 14 bullets at your disposal. Once they're gone you have nothing in the way of lethal ammunition.

I found myself with a taser far far too many times and using it over my revolver.

I haven't seen the original post that's mentioned at the start of this one but if one of the reasons for the Detective losing their ammunition is because of terrible Detectives, then punish the terrible detectives. Not the job.

If Detectives are meant to be this outside of security force, don't Nerf down their equipment until they might as well be wearing a red suit and a dorky helmet.

A true Detectives way of dealing with Syndicates
(Please pause video at 3 seconds into shooting if you believe the Detective should have ran out of ammo.)

I think this calls for more diplomatic detective options:

[Image: ps665.gif]
What does a detective need lethal ammo for? What's the point in having some random investigator being more dangerous than the entire security staff?
Paineframe Wrote:What does a detective need lethal ammo for? What's the point in having some random investigator being more dangerous than the entire security staff?
Personally, I like the idea of the detective being a loose canon cop who doesn't play by anyone's rules but their own and part of that image is them having access to a lethal weapon. Makes them a wild card to deal with. It's also more likely on low population rounds to have a detective rather than a large Sec staff, so that extra edge is handy for the crew. That's just my opinion.

I really did like the original idea in this thread though, of making it so speed loaders have to be manually refilled with loose bullets.
personally, I don't think the detective should have any NON lethal ammo. the detective should not be sec, the detective should not be using a taser revolver to arrest criminals. the gun should be a panic option, not a harder to use glorified taser that requIres you to wear certain clothes and die in vacuum. that's not what the gun is about

also the original speed loader idea requiring to be filled with loose bullets was cool
only one suggestion: instead of piles of bullets, just make it like a cig box of bullets.
Have you ever clicked submit and thought it worked and it didn't? Greeeeaaaaattt.....

Anyway I agree with a lot of things posted here, one thing most people seem to agree on is the Detective is not Security.
Surely agreeing on this means anything you do to the Detective should be leaning away from Security.

Only harmful ammunition would be really neat, or if you changed the taser rounds to bean bags like the shotgun only weak that would be really good too in my opinion.

I also think the Detective shouldn't have to worry about ammunition, or at the very least he should be able to aquire more from cargo or other secret places.

As a balance to only lethal ammo he would have to load his own speedloader(s), or speedloader...

If he had to load his own speedloaders perhaps there's a 50% chance he spawns with an extra one. "Jean-luc Picards prized speedloader" It also has a 50% reload speed booster..

The Detective is a really enjoyed roll for a lot of people, especially myself. A lot could be done with the job to make it even more desirable and interesting, especially with a community like Goon behind it's ideas.
I don't think 'only lethal ammunition' and 'an unlimited supply' are concepts that go very well together. I can't see that working out very well.

I think only lethal ammo is an idea that works well thematically, but isn't really balanced for gameplay. In theory it gets you a detective who tries to stay out of combat and calls on sec for the actual grunt work, but in practice I think it's just going to lead to detectives filling assistants breaking windows with lead and then going 'well of course I shot him with lethal bullets, it's all I have' while the assistant bleeds out.
At which point the assistant learns a valuable lesson not to mess with the drunk with a gun and is cloned, the detective gets dressed down by security and/or admins and told to hand in his badge, and when the detective actually runs up against an antag he's out of ammo and gets killed. Everybody wins!
just make it so you have to pay to get more lethal ammunition or whatever since this already feels like a big middle finger to traitor detectives
APARTHEID Wrote:Remove stun bullets forever
APARTHEID Wrote:
APARTHEID Wrote:Remove stun bullets forever
Here's the thing, I'm pretty sure the stun rounds are actually supposed to be rubber bullets, hence the blue tips.

The shotguns in the armory use BEANBAG rounds, not rubber slugs/buckshot. And there are no beanbag rounds for .38s.

Even then, how would it function? Knockback and stun like the shotgun? Even if it IS a shorter duration, that's even more powerful than what the detective currently has. Fill the target with knockback stun rounds, load in your lethals, pour into them on the ground. Especially powerful because it'll only take one shot to stun instead of 3/4. The ONLY downside is that if it removes stamina damage from the rounds, things like wizards/changelings/vampires can still use their powers once downed. But the people with the biggest complaints about detectives seem to be traitors, not those things.
[Image: 154e6b7b00.png]

One encounter with a werewolf that was tearing up medbay and not a single harmful round left.

12 rounds just isn't enough. Still not sure why no one is commenting about this, someone who could change it.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:personally, I don't think the detective should have any NON lethal ammo. the detective should not be sec, the detective should not be using a taser revolver to arrest criminals. the gun should be a panic option, not a harder to use glorified taser that requIres you to wear certain clothes and die in vacuum. that's not what the gun is about

also the original speed loader idea requiring to be filled with loose bullets was cool
I agree the detective's job isn't to arrest criminals.

However, I also think his job isn't to be a doped-up gunslinging assassin either. Instead of arresting people, he just guns down anyone suspicious. Giving the detective large amounts of lethal ammo makes about as much sense as starting assistants off with emags and pipebombs.