Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AI Camera Rework
As pizzatiger said. There's a static tile where a camera doesn't reach, and camera cutting is handled in one of two ways. I've never seen pizzatiger's way done, but I have seen static replace what the camera would of been able to see. Though if you even consider this i'd suggest you replace the static tile with just black. Static just gets... Irritating after a time. Although I actually like pizzatiger's suggestion.
I should also mention that I've seen it done where the AI ghost can toggle a thing where they move twice as fast as a regular ghost. Moving around quickly is one aspect of this system that is very nice. It's just precision that gets messed up.
Let it be noted that an AI ghost style system, while great (maybe? i guess) is considerably more work than the recent camera tweaks that Spy has done. Like goddamn is that a lot of work. Godaaaaamn.
Wire Wrote:Let it be noted that an AI ghost style system, while great (maybe? i guess) is considerably more work than the recent camera tweaks that Spy has done. Like goddamn is that a lot of work. Godaaaaamn.

The recent tweaks made AI much more bearable to play and I sincerely thank you guys.

However, that ghost-style AI camera will essentially make AI actually fun to play as.

It -will- be worth the effort if you guys ever get around to do it.
I dunno. I personally don't have many problems with visibility as AI, especially now that the cameras have been tweaked. The ghost-camera, while a convenience, is not really necessary, if you ask me.
I've tried the new system and it's definitely an improvement, but one thing that's constantly butted up against is that you sometimes can't/couldn't tell if an area is just plain unviewable with cameras or if you haven't figured out the right incantation to move your view to that area. That's another thing that would be solved by the ghost-view.

As for the "static" I'd just replace it either black or a dark-green non-animated grid. The current full-screen static when trying to view cut cameras currently is a bit jarring.
as a sign of solidarity Rhymin' AI is on strike until cameras are better
Zamujasa Wrote:I've tried the new system and it's definitely an improvement, but one thing that's constantly butted up against is that you sometimes can't/couldn't tell if an area is just plain unviewable with cameras or if you haven't figured out the right incantation to move your view to that area. That's another thing that would be solved by the ghost-view.

As for the "static" I'd just replace it either black or a dark-green non-animated grid. The current full-screen static when trying to view cut cameras currently is a bit jarring.

Alternatives to the static are being looked into. I totally see what you mean.
Spy_Guy Wrote:
Zamujasa Wrote:I've tried the new system and it's definitely an improvement, but one thing that's constantly butted up against is that you sometimes can't/couldn't tell if an area is just plain unviewable with cameras or if you haven't figured out the right incantation to move your view to that area. That's another thing that would be solved by the ghost-view.

Alternatives to the static are being looked into. I totally see what you mean.
Blankscreen with the words "FEED CUT" on it? Test Pattern?
Let it be said there's two ways to move your view, excluding tracking and using menus.

I'm writing this down because I didn't know it until I saw it in the code.
The first way is through movement keys, fairly self-explanatory.
The second is through clicks.

If you click on a turf it will put you at the nearest camera in that general area. If you have a room you can see but don't know how to enter, just give it a click.

This is the same feature that used to throw you to the mining magnet whenever you made an unfortunate click.
It won't work when tracking someone, though. In testing that just led to really irritating cases of trackus interruptus.

On top of that. Syndicate cards preventing tracking are now indistinguishable from other cases of tracking failure (normally someone not being in view of a camera).

I also improved camera tracking, performance wise. Hopefully it will be better or about the same as before.
Zamujasa Wrote:incantation

this amused me out loud