Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traitor Mechanic Item: Madness Field Generator
Item: Madness Field Generator
Sprite: Perhaps a cloaking field generator repainted red?
Cost: 10 TC
Description:

It essentially is an item the size of the cloaking field generator that you place down somewhere. You wrench it down on a live wire or hooked up to a viable power source and then click it to activate it.

Once activated, it will emit some purple-ish radiation within a 6x6 tile radius that will render anybody that stays within it for 5 seconds absolutely insane (as if they were poisoned with Rajaijah!) right up until:

A) The madness field generator is destroyed/taken off the power grid.

B)The affected person somehow escapes the madness field.

How to know if you're being affected by the field? There would be the regular Rajaijah flavor text in your chat AND perhaps one that immediately appears the moment you step within range of the generator, like ''You suddenly feel really, REALLY ANGRY!''

I honestly think that traitor mechanics could do with new tactics other than scanning the crusher and constructing them all over the place OR building teleporters that lead to the cold vacuum of space like they always do.

(Why yes I did go watch Kingsman: The Secret Service, why do you ask?)
There have been a lot of proposed 10tc power grid connected items and I dunno, I'm not feeling this one. It's pretty obvious and can be easily shut down for a 10 tc item, and I can really only see it playing out a couple ways:

-someone notices it, promptly deactivates and spaces it.
-a whole bunch of people rush to stand in the madness field so they can get in fights.

That said some space-madness granting traitor item would be fun.
This sounds like it would be a great traitor chaplain item.
Roomba Wrote:There have been a lot of proposed 10tc power grid connected items and I dunno, I'm not feeling this one. It's pretty obvious and can be easily shut down for a 10 tc item, and I can really only see it playing out a couple ways:

-someone notices it, promptly deactivates and spaces it.
-a whole bunch of people rush to stand in the madness field so they can get in fights.

That said some space-madness granting traitor item would be fun.

I don't agree that it will be very easily deactivated if someone notices it because it's supposed to cause you to go insane like Rajaijah would.

Here's what Rajaijah does according to the Wiki:

The Wiki Wrote:Brain damage, jitteriness, major stamina regeneration buff. KOs, then an AI takes over your mob, forcing you to attack people nearby (and occasionally yourself). Lots of scary text messages. The AI is quite robust. It can pick up, attack with and throw items from off the floor, can use firearms effectively, and is hard to pacify thanks to the stamina buff. You may be familiar with Syndicate NPCs, which can be summoned with telescience. Rajaijah makes use of the same AI. Injecting somebody with this poison will KO them briefly after a couple of cycles. Once they wake up, the AI assumes control of the mob, turning the victim into an involuntary murder machine. They'll be unable to do anything about it until the poison wears off.

Note: Slapping a straight jacket on someone poisoned with rajaijah will neutralize them, letting you flush the poison safely.

I honestly believe that an item doing just that is worth 10TC and the only way I can see it being balanced is if it were somewhat visible when active.

Besides, I don't think the vast majority of the crew would willfully jump into a thing that will essentially make them lose control of their mob (unless the shuttle has already left the station and they're bored out of their minds).

maxiumattack Wrote:This sounds like it would be a great traitor chaplain item.

I guess, but my main intention here is to give the traitor mechanics something to do other than building crushers everywhere.
Make it so you can pry a tile up, put it on a wire, then put the tile back down to conceal it.
DyssalC Wrote:Make it so you can pry a tile up, put it on a wire, then put the tile back down to conceal it.

I feel that would make it a bit too powerful.
How about something handheld sized, with the ability to attach a timer/signaler? You could hide it in a bag/crate/locker/uniform or just carry it around like a goon.
Winklabom Wrote:
DyssalC Wrote:Make it so you can pry a tile up, put it on a wire, then put the tile back down to conceal it.

I feel that would make it a bit too powerful.
Madness Grenades would be much better in my opinion.
RAWK_LAWBSTAR Wrote:Madness Grenades would be much better in my opinion.

For mechanics ? That sounds more like something scientists would get and they don't need anymore tools of mass destruction, seeing that they truly are the single most destructive and terrifying people on the station.

I was thinking that instead of having the madness field generator be a red cloaking device, it could be disguised as aeteor shield that constantly emits the sonic grenade sound (without the hearing loss) just to draw in people who think it's a noise artifact.
Meteor shield*

Fuck.
make it 9TC imo. the clever among you will realize what this allows
I think Rajaijah gas grenades are a better idea than this.
Winklabom Wrote:
RAWK_LAWBSTAR Wrote:Madness Grenades would be much better in my opinion.

For mechanics ? That sounds more like something scientists would get and they don't need anymore tools of mass destruction, seeing that they truly are the single most destructive and terrifying people on the station.

I was thinking that instead of having the madness field generator be a red cloaking device, it could be disguised as aeteor shield that constantly emits the sonic grenade sound (without the hearing loss) just to draw in people who think it's a noise artifact.

Clearly its some crazy electromagnetic brainfuckery grenade then. The point is that a fixed generator is way too powerful.
Berrik Wrote:I think Rajaijah gas grenades are a better idea than this.

Screw it, just take a page from Batman and make some Fear Gas grenades or something. Charge about 7-8 telecrystals and give the user a bandoleer of three grenades that make people flip the hell out.