Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's with the greytide lately?
When you were growing up and someone in a position of authority like a parent, teacher or babysitter tried to establish themselves.. you ever notice one of those shitty kids pushing back to "test" someone?

Full brig treatment if they wanna test you. If someones jailbreaking antags out, flooding sec with plasma, bombing it, shooting sec officers with a zip gun, or just generally being a griefy shit ahelp them.

Things were dealt with pretty swiftly during a rather big grey tide when we were authorized to use lethal force by El Capitano and The HoS.
Sundance Wrote:As far as grey-tiding goes, perhaps admins could give security personnel a heads up via voice in the head that person A,B,C are new players and are being dolts, so that security could hand their asses to them literally IC and then admins could hand their asses to them figuratively OOC?
I don't think meta-gaming, even as low-level as this would technically be, is the answer. I think cracking down (and skulls) in-game and waiting for the bans to pile up is the most reasonable thing to be done.
jflan17 Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:As far as grey-tiding goes, perhaps admins could give security personnel a heads up via voice in the head that person A,B,C are new players and are being dolts, so that security could hand their asses to them literally IC and then admins could hand their asses to them figuratively OOC?
I don't think meta-gaming, even as low-level as this would technically be, is the answer. I think cracking down (and skulls) in-game and waiting for the bans to pile up is the most reasonable thing to be done.

I've been a HOS before and I had a admin do this to some degree. Only it was not about any greysuits being dumb. I was across the station handling something when a voice in my head tells me one of my officers is being shit and that I should go deal with it. They do these things from time to time and I don't necessarily see it as something that bad.
If the same people are routinely camping out in front of security every round to rob guards on their way out, publicly shame them over the radio and flush them to the test chamber. Let the chemists worry about a bunch of angry assistants. There's nothing bad that could come of that v .

Cover your ass by letting adminhelp know you're enacting street justice and why before they inevitably scream HELP: SHITCURITYYYY!

Try to err on the side of public shaming and massively inconveniencing violent troublemakers rather than outright killing them, since that just snowballs against the sec team. If the security is likable and the people yelling for riots are assholes, they're not gonna get much sympathy.
Can we just incorporate it IC? I tried a bit today. Got arrested, told the HoS a beautiful story about my father's love, then when he released me I stungloved him, called him a nerd, yelled F the Police and declared that I had caught greytidefluenza in the hallway. He wrote a prescription and treated me with buckshot the face then I praised him as a hero.

Anyway that was all quite silly but I think an IC solution such as the HoS's brilliant idea that it's a disease that can only be cured with buckshot (or double amputation or something else awful) is more fun and creates some pretty immediate consequences.
How about a nice dunce cap? "In a flash of blinding light a dunce cap appears over [Insert Name Here]'s head, and slowly falls into place becoming stuck on their head."
Yeah that's called spy mode and it was taken out of rotation for a reason.
TailorTok Wrote:Can we just incorporate it IC? I tried a bit today. Got arrested, told the HoS a beautiful story about my father's love, then when he released me I stungloved him, called him a nerd, yelled F the Police and declared that I had caught greytidefluenza in the hallway. He wrote a prescription and treated me with buckshot the face then I praised him as a hero.

Anyway that was all quite silly but I think an IC solution such as the HoS's brilliant idea that it's a disease that can only be cured with buckshot (or double amputation or something else awful) is more fun and creates some pretty immediate consequences.

You're making the assumption that the rest of the sec team wants to deal with you as well instead of making sure genetics is in one piece, stopping the ling from eatin the slap-happy Mechanic or stop the random botanist who just arrived from finishing off the clown with a fire extinguisher. Screwing with sec for the sake of screwing with sec as a non-antag? You pretty much just ate a floorpill. You bought the ticket, take the ride.
TailorTok Wrote:Can we just incorporate it IC? I tried a bit today. Got arrested, told the HoS a beautiful story about my father's love, then when he released me I stungloved him, called him a nerd, yelled F the Police and declared that I had caught greytidefluenza in the hallway. He wrote a prescription and treated me with buckshot the face then I praised him as a hero.

I don't see this as a reasonable excuse to mess with security at all. In fact this is exactly the kind of thing admins said needs to stop in the Security crackdown thread.
TailorTok Wrote:Can we just incorporate it IC? I tried a bit today. Got arrested, told the HoS a beautiful story about my father's love, then when he released me I stungloved him, called him a nerd, yelled F the Police and declared that I had caught greytidefluenza in the hallway.

[Image: Hitler.jpg]
Ed Venture Wrote:

I don't see this as a reasonable excuse to mess with security at all. In fact this is exactly the kind of thing admins said needs to stop in the Security crackdown thread.
No, I don't think this fellow was "messing with security". I'd say that this is the level of permissible shenanigans that make security fun and entertaining...but, of course, this is just personal opinion, and admin opinion might vary. I also was not in this round, so I can't accurately speak to the intention, here.

It's shit like setting up a chair behind the bush outside of sec and repeatedly chairflipping into anyone who passes in and out (which is unbelievably goddamn annoying) or stealing stun batons/tasers and other sec gear for no discernible reason or deliberately interfering with attempted arrests or otherwise doing other things with the explicit purpose of giving security the hardest time possible that needs to stop. This guy was just poking fun with the HoS with no real intention of doing them any substantial harm. It seems like the sitcom nemesis clause in the rules on griefing, really.

In any case, the security team doesn't and shouldn't need an IC reason to take administrative action against crew members who are being shitheads because...well, they're security. Dealing with people who are being shitheads or are otherwise a threat to the station's overall well-being is their JOB. Making up something like the above is just the HoS putting their own, mildly humorous spin on it, and while that's all fine and good, it's not really necessary. Just crack down on those motherfuckers. You're the law, so don't be afraid to dish out some justice when justice is needed.
Getting arrested is in fact an IC consequence of messing with sec, I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise. That said 'roleplaying' only goes so far, and the argument 'no it's my CHARACTER that's a wacky loon who messes with sec constantly, I myself am a saint' gets old eventually. If you're being a massive shitter who messes with sec round after round I don't think it's unfair to have some additional cross-round scrutiny.
Quote:I also was not in this round, so I can't accurately speak to the intention, here.

I was not either and perhaps should have stated that.

Quote:This guy was just poking fun with the HoS with no real intention of doing them any substantial harm. It seems like the sitcom nemesis clause in the rules on griefing, really.

Since you put it that way I'll have to agree with you. Now I feel silly.
i observed half of that as the AI, flying in a shell, and it was just silly and harmless fun from my view.
the hos decided to play along and could've dropped that play to do more important stuff if need be.
like, they had plenty of opportunities to taze the guy and throw him out, but didn't see that as a necessary thing to do, so they interrogated him, noticed that there's no light bulb in the desk lamp, went to get a new one, interrogated him a bit more, threw him in jail for a few seconds while they go get a shotgun from the armory and shot him in the face to cure his whatever that was!
after that it seemed like everyone just went back to work.
but, guh, as i said, i only saw a good chunk of that so i can't really speak for the hos!! so maybe Hufflaw should pop in and tell us how he felt about this since they were that HoS.