Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security Suggestions.
On that note your pda is surprisingly useful as sec, Most people don't bother to wear gloves so if you need to find somebody, figure out where they probably were last, open their security record with your pda and use the fingerprint scanner on your pda to keep scanning doors until you figure out where they roughly went. Sometimes the door records are unavailible, and this method has worked for me the only time I tested it.

The biggest thing I would suggest to make that more feasible is if you have a security record open on your pda, the fingerprint scanner should highlight a set of fingerprints that match the record.

Maybe make it green, bold, or red or something.
Vunterslaush Wrote:The only problem I see with sec currently is that there needs to be a few smaller cells in the brig, to split up the population. Also riot shotguns are more than powerful enough to deal with most threats presented to you as an officer.
How about a several small cells with two sets of doors. One door leads to Sec and is for officers to put them into the cell. The second door is on the opposite side and is controlled by switch from Sec. It opens up into a large general population cell.
Introducing Brig 2.0

[Image: t6uPy7q.png]

It's a bit bare, it's only a mock-up but here's the main differences:

1. Two double rooms intended to house 4 inmates. Now you're up close and personal to your inmate, you might as well get to know him (or shank him)
2. Brig is far more secure, but there's also new avenues of escape and shittery. Busting down the window of your cell gives you the option to escape west or south.
The west wall is purposefully made as a blind spot, the tree (should probably be the more covering tree) is made for hiding.
3. No more ejection from the brig. The timers will open the secure door of the cell and is timed with the secure doors into the parole room. Here the inmate may be left with a potential option of being a nice prisoner and making his way to the parole room, or a bad one and breaking out the other prisoner from the room.
4. The parole room is a place where civilians have an option to interact with the inmate, but it also is a nice place to store the inmates stuff. The inmate has an option to leave when he's ready by pressing the button to the right and letting himself out (or potentially letting others in!)

Pros? Flaws? There's a ton of flaws yes, but I made sure they were FUN flaws, intentional to favor the prisoner.
I do like the idea of a multi cell layout for the brig. It feels like there is so much wasted space. Plus! I never use the main cell because of how easy it is to break out of.

As for the riot sheilds...

BaneOfGiygas Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:so this seems like it would be utter kryptonite to rampagey traitors.

I'm not seeing the problem here.
I suppose that, if we can have the explosion-stopping bomb suits, we can have bullet-stopping riot shields. I was just worried that it would make the traitor guns completely obsolete.

One thing, though. Should AP rounds be able to punch through riot shields?

Have you ever wore a EOD suit? A: It is NOT insulated for space. So even if you survive a blast you can easily freeze to death because between the hole the blast would leave in the station.
B: The EOD suit makes you VERY slow, even while running. Which helps contribute to #As death.
C: The Riot shield will force your run toggle to walk on toggling to holding the shield up. Forcing your already slow ass to move slower.

Overall. One sec officer by himself in a EOD suit with a riot shield would be easy to take down. A sec officer with some backup would make it effective.

I think that AP rounds should have a 60% chance to penetrate the shield. Something around there. In red text... "HOLY SHIT! The .45 AP round went right through the thick plate of your shield!"
If there's one part of security's equipment that could use some changing, it would have to be the EOD suits.

As Silver pointed out they don't help you with surviving a bomb at all, as most explosives will leave a crater that will freeze your ass off as you struggle against space pull + EOD suit slowness + any injury penalties from surviving the blast.
The only upside to wearing it anywhere near a bomb is that it probably will prevent you from insta-gibbing (does it?), and leave a corpse behind for prospective looters/lings/random spacemen alike.
I agree with you guys on EOD suits. They need some sort of buff. They don't really help you survive bombs and because of this hardly anyone uses them anymore. Every now and then I use them cause they look cool.
EOD suits aren't too bad. If it's the speed your worried about, there are a multitude of ways to combat this.
They're total bullet sponges too. They absorb spacker blasts like no tomorrow (but not derringers), and you can literally shrug off a pipebomb.

I do agree however that they should have SOME protection against the cold, because when you get to a depressurized room (which is often the case if there's bombing, the entire reason for the EOD), you are reduced to a crawl, and that blast with the spacetile underneath ya wracks up the damage badly. It shouldn't be spacesuit level protection of course, maybe 20% of what a spacesuit is, rather than the current 0% of what it is now.

As regards to the shield, I think it should work like the shields in LoZ, in that the shield is directional to the hand you are holding.
So for example if you were holding the shield in your left hand then you would be like this where T is the traitor, S is the officer and the arrow is the direction he
is facing.

(T)
:
:
__
(S) -->

This mean a traitor could be fast on his feet and shoot the officer in the side. It would also mean the officer wouldn't be really be able to move forward and corner him because that would mean opening up a way to shoot him.
I dunno about all this projectile blocking. I'd be happy if having the shield in a hand just increased whatever projectile and melee damage resistance you have up by 20 to 30 percent or so, increased the chance for you shrugging of melee blows, and maybe made it so that you can't be shoved by people bumping into you
Security, at the moment, is a bullet shield between antags and the crew. They serve this role perfectly. If they have the intelligence and skill to, they also have the ability to defend against antagonists.

Apart from maybe secbelts (which are on other servers and are ~excellent~) and more cohesion, security has reached it's logical conclusion of 'gud'
I definitely like the ideas of secbelts and breaking up the brig a bit. Would it be possible to somehow alter Beepskys patrol for round start? It's kind of annoying how he immediately opens the front door and anyone can just run right in without access.
Dr Nipples Wrote:I definitely like the ideas of secbelts and breaking up the brig a bit. Would it be possible to somehow alter Beepskys patrol for round start? It's kind of annoying how he immediately opens the front door and anyone can just run right in without access.

As a crimer, no don't change this.
As sec, it's annoying but as long as someones in the department they should be able to handle it.

A few reinforced brig cubes for the real shit people would be nice. Right now it's FAR too easy to break out of the armory. Hell, the HoP's office is a better brig than the actual brig.
Break outta the brig, not the armory, derp.
I am way digging Sundance's two-inmate cell proposal.

yes please for police belts, with lots of pouches. it'd be cool if they could only hold one gun/baton, one flash, two pairs of cuffs, and three assorted tiny items though. a sec belt that's all guns feels weird.

maybe even have intents change what you pull out for instant removal!

help intent: brings up the bag contents for the tiny items
grab intent: pulls out a pair of cuffs
disarm intent: pulls out your flash
harm intent: pulls out your gun/baton
Yeah sec belts are a pretty good idea honestly. They also will be insanely useful for expeditions. I can't tell you how annoying it is to loose your one gun because it was in the backpack you dropped 20 minutes ago because you were stunned by some dumb thing.
[Image: U2vl86A.png]
[Image: x6ktFqe.png]
Just a cosmetic change to the miner's belt but it looks bretty gud.
Holds all small objects like normal belts do, but can hold 1 taser/energy rifle at a time + a stun baton.
I think for balancing reasons it should be only be able to hold one large sec item (baton or rifle) but have the pro that it could hold a sec PDA in that the general alerts would still go off and you could still use it, akin to having the PDA on your belt/pocket.