Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why was the Singularity removed?
Cogwerks Wrote:The containment field and lasers were cool though.

They are also a very sorely missed form of entertainment during operative rounds. ONE CAPTAIN, ONE OPERATIVE. ONE LEAVES.
I mean it's not like the emitter and the field generator are hard to obtain, it's the singularity generator that takes effort.
For some reason it felt like I did a lot more work as an engineer back when the singularity was around, and I don't just mean fixing up the crap it ate. Weird.

The singularity was relatively quick and easy to set up, but you could literally do everything right and something like a simple lag hiccup could still fuck the whole damn thing up. I came to goon when the singularity was relatively new, but yeah, like 5 out of maybe 15 rounds ended with it being released. It was funny at the time but in hindsight it really made the game suck more.

Having said that, there were a lot of cool opportunities for sabotage that came from it. I remember being a rogue AI once on Donut 2 and calling for help at the engine. "Traitor trying to release the engine!" I cried! And in ran the captain, the HoS, and a couple sec officers into the narrow engine corridor toward the singularity.

By the time they realized I was the one releasing the singularity in their direction, I had already bolted the airlocks behind them.

But yeah no other than that it sucked, and one day I'm going to learn how to murder people with the current engine.
the best part about the singularity was stealing the singularity generator to make the other engineers mad
Quote:They are also a very sorely missed form of entertainment during operative rounds.

Out of everything to do with the singularity, I miss singularity boxing the most.
I don't miss having to spend every third round with half the station missing because the Singularity got out. It was especially bad on Donut when the Singularity was on the center and could hit any part of the Station.
Ed Venture Wrote:
Quote:They are also a very sorely missed form of entertainment during operative rounds.

Out of everything to do with the singularity, I miss singularity boxing the most.

I honestly think if there could be an area where you could singularity box sans singularity, that could be fun.

That and disposal boxing was always fun but too dangerous for standard crew participation.
The emitters and containment beams are still around, you can find them and reproduce them as a mechanic if you want to bring back containment-field Thunderdome. That's specifically why they're still available.
The singularity was super cool but only on paper, because more often than not it got loose and the shuttle would have to be called basically instantly. Not even considering that even if you WANTED to use the singularity as a weapon it was basically a zero chance it would eat what you wanted it to.
Lighting cigarettes on the singularity will be sorely missed
A good while ago I replicated the singularity with a gravity artifact and a bit of work in Mechanics and Telescience. The chaplain was exceptionally displeased with me using his church.

if it wasn't so easy to set loose, I'd love to see it return one day.
Cogwerks Wrote:It left nothing for engineers to do once it was turned on, it'd just sit there being a big dumb photoshop cloud until it inevitably fucked the round up.

The containment field and lasers were cool though.

I don't want to have newbie engineers fucking everything up for everyone else, I want the engine to be more or less foolproof until you intentionally abuse it and push its limits.

It's trivially easy to capture deathgas from the engine and release it elsewhere. It's intentionally hard for the engine to do that by itself.
Honestly, these problems apply to the current engine as well. Setup is trivial, engineers have nothing to do when it's set up, abusing the engine and pushing its limits is actually easier and more effective than trying to run it properly, and a basic hellburn will fry half the station if allowed to run long enough without a shuttle call.
BlakeJohnson Wrote:Lighting cigarettes on the singularity will be sorely missed
there's a certain other object you can do this with now aardvarko
i realize this is like 2 years late, but i still wish the singularity bomb wasn't removed along with the actual singularity engine. crossarms
Spawning a singularity like 10 tiles away from the kitchen, and watching it slowly devour the chef was the most hilarious thing, especially when you'd inevitably fall into the event horizon yourself, and hear the now deceased, swedish chef bork in deadchat about all the meatball he was planning on cooking.
well that or in the arrivals shuttle.

bring back the singularity bomb

oh and nitrous 4 coder 2015
I literally saw a singularity bomb yesterday or so on the escape shuttle. No one primed it though (unless it was a fake).