Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turn top half of genetics into cloning.
I've suggested this multiple times, if they're being shitheads not doing their jobs ruin their research. Make sure you tell them why.
That's the part where you get lasered, hulk punched, and set on fire by invisible nerds.
I had to do that as HoS, Marq. Took all the funding from their budget. They then superfarted me and stuffed me into the reclaimer.
I feel as though the the portable genetek has only compounded the problem completely. You have jerk geneticists whom take the genetek computers and fuck off the the middle ass of nowhere.
They're not playing SS13. They've a screen open and they are solely paying attention to that.
..and that's where I think the problem lies

Genetics research needs to be more interactive in the actual environment sense.

Take chemistry, you gotta move from place to place and co-ordinate transferring and all that, testing shit on monkeys, testing deathchem mixes, etc. It's similar to genetics in that your life will revolve around the chem dispenser, but there is far more interaction with the environment.
This is the same for botany, mechanics, medical, robotics, i.e: literally every other department

I think the portable genetek was a completely wrong route to take genetics. I think it should be expanded so you wont be stuck at the one monitor. More like pathology. That way geneticists would notice the bodies, as they'll be more interacting with the environment.
I also personally think the reclaimer is the most obnoxious device one could give to geneticists, an instant gibbing tool in the hands of jerks, and it also made the chaplains job completely redundant. Am I crazy that I for once would actually like a body have a proper space funeral?
Marquesas Wrote:I've suggested this multiple times, if they're being shitheads not doing their jobs ruin their research. Make sure you tell them why.

This should not be consider a "fix" when this issue can effect alot of people during rounds
Marquesas Wrote:I've suggested this multiple times, if they're being shitheads not doing their jobs ruin their research. Make sure you tell them why.

The problem is people do that when we're actually trying to do our work, thus preventing us from doing either facet of our jobs. frown

And the last round I played, the problem of more people having genetics access is that there's more people running in and out of the cloning bay, where all the bodies are (nobody's going to put them somewhere secure, nobody ever does, don't even kid yourself). This inevitably means at least half of those bodies are going to get robbed blind. I spent a whole round playing bodyguard to people just to keep them from having their IDs stolen by opportunists.

I just don't like the idea of broader access to the cloners. And I don't like the stigma of geneticists as a whole. PEOPLE are shitty, not jobs. Shitty people ruin helpful jobs. Hate the player, not the game.
Changing the layout is the most effect
...ive way of affecting player behavior. Tou can do a lot with how the environment affects player desicions.
Solution: Whitelist Geneticist
Marq, here's what ruining the research of geneticists in retaliation to them not doing their jobs does in pretty much 9 out of 10 cases: It creates an open environment of hostility, prompts the geneticist to (oftentimes violently) retaliate against what they almost invariably see as an unjust attack against them, makes taking a Port-A-Gene and abandoning genetics lab altogether a much more appealing prospect, and perhaps most importantly, it doesn't do jack shit in telling Geneticists that they need to clone people.

Furthermore, if the overall, commonly accepted solution to fixing shitty Geneticists is to bully them into submission, this makes for a very rough time for the Geneticists who actually want to do their jobs, as some people will be more than goddamn happy to barge into Genetics, kill monkeys, light papers on fire, and spray mutadone in people's faces if they have an excuse to do so. People who play as a Geneticist, if they're not just actively disregarding the cloning bit, have to constantly watch everything they do or say, because if they even give off the appearance of not wanting to clone people, they are never going to hear the end of it, and that's excluding the people who attack genetics just because. And even if you're being an okay Geneticist, you can kiss your public relations goodbye if your partner is being shit. Geneticists these days seem to have to put up with more scrutiny and suspicion than the goddamn security team.

Genetics, you see, gives what are usually plain old medical staff power that not even an armory raid can give them, and the hallmark of a shitty geneticist is that this power goes straight to their head. They become obsessed with buffing themselves up to ridiculous degrees and will deal a thrashing to anyone who tries to convince them that it isn't a good idea. This suggestion is bad because ruining the research of a shitty geneticist has not, does not, and probably will not convince them that they need to be helpful to the station; it will make them believe that they are surrounded by jealous douchebags and will be further encouragement to be an isolationist dickhead so no one else bothers them.
They pretty much addressed all the issues. So the thread can be closed now.
Ed Venture Wrote:They pretty much addressed all the issues. So the thread can be closed now.
How? The cloner update? Half of the update actually only works if other people have access to the cloner. Currently it never gets switched to cloner priority mode, so the geneticists never get that feeling of needing to be in control of the cloner.
salix_catus Wrote:
Ed Venture Wrote:They pretty much addressed all the issues. So the thread can be closed now.
How? The cloner update? Half of the update actually only works if other people have access to the cloner. Currently it never gets switched to cloner priority mode, so the geneticists never get that feeling of needing to be in control of the cloner.

They remolded med bay just alittle bit ago. Go check it out
Saying the thread could be close now was a little to hasty. The changes made I believe were a good step in the right direction. Let's see how things play out.