Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red chainsaw looks green from a distance
But then again if you see someone with a chainsaw outside of hydroponics then that is a reasonable reason to be alarmed. You both have good points but I am going to have to side with BlackPhoenix and the others that it is a feature.

BlackPhoenix Wrote:It's a factor of the huge amount of paranoia that this game is meant to have. There's a reason that we had an actual Paranoia game going after all. It's said that it's meant to be a less-obvious kinda Cyalume Saber

Completely agree with this

Ed Venture Wrote:A chainsaw be it red or green is not stealth and should have a obvious way of telling the difference between the two.

So disregard this statement since putting more thought into it I don't believe this anymore. If you see someone with a chainsaw out outside of hydroponics and if they are not already chopping people up then quickly examine them.

Though there is for sure a good discussion on if the sprite should be change as I feel both sides have good points but this is not the place to discuss that.
Maybe instead of changing the sprite add a very occasional "X's chainsaw revs dangerously"
BlackPhoenix Wrote:It requires you to examine the person to figure out if it is or isn't a red chainsaw. This leads to A: People panicing whenever a botanist runs around with a normal chainsaw while getting materials or something, which is funny, and B: People not realizing until the botanist starts chasing them that it's a red chainsaw, which is pretty funny too.
Or you could examine them... with your eyes??? Which is about as hard to do because it's a really really small sprite.

vampirate Wrote:Maybe instead of changing the sprite add a very occasional "X's chainsaw revs dangerously"

Or just change the sprite instead of screaming to anyone in line of sight that OH NO THERE'S A TRAITOR AROUND.
I'm willing to believe that the similarity to the normal hydroponics chainsaw is intentional, sure. But if that is indeed the case, we should at the very least make the ACTUAL sprite for the thing green as well and give it some other kind of tell that it's a syndie chainsaw, because while I'm okay with the notion that the syndie chainsaw is intended to be mistaken for a normal one, I refuse to believe that it's supposed to magically turn green under the sole condition that it's in someone's hands. That just doesn't make any goddamned sense.
it's a feature yes, so maybe this should be moved to suggestions??
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:I'm willing to believe that the similarity to the normal hydroponics chainsaw is intentional, sure. But if that is indeed the case, we should at the very least make the ACTUAL sprite for the thing green as well and give it some other kind of tell that it's a syndie chainsaw, because while I'm okay with the notion that the syndie chainsaw is intended to be mistaken for a normal one, I refuse to believe that it's supposed to magically turn green under the sole condition that it's in someone's hands. That just doesn't make any goddamned sense.
This. Make the dropped sprite and the handheld sprite match. It doesn't matter which you change.
Grek Wrote:
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:I'm willing to believe that the similarity to the normal hydroponics chainsaw is intentional, sure. But if that is indeed the case, we should at the very least make the ACTUAL sprite for the thing green as well and give it some other kind of tell that it's a syndie chainsaw, because while I'm okay with the notion that the syndie chainsaw is intended to be mistaken for a normal one, I refuse to believe that it's supposed to magically turn green under the sole condition that it's in someone's hands. That just doesn't make any goddamned sense.
This. Make the dropped sprite and the handheld sprite match. It doesn't matter which you change.
The only reason I could think of for this is that it's possible that you don't pay attention to it, so you just assume? Or your character does? But this isn't an RP server...so there's no real reason. Maybe change the sprite to have a hastily-done green paint job on it, with red peeking through to alert the observer to its real nature.
I couldn't be less constructive if I was a song by miley cyrus
I disagree.
Klayboxx Wrote:or, just leave it how it is because that's how it is supposed to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No one has officially stated that this is how it's supposed to be, assuming as much and saying this is dismissive and helps nothing.

BlackPhoenix Wrote:Maybe change the sprite to have a hastily-done green paint job on it, with red peeking through to alert the observer to its real nature.
Something like this would be good, or maybe an examine note that says something along the lines of "The teeth on this chainsaw look particularly pointy" or something to that effect.
people have been whining about this nearly nothing disparity for years and it's never been changed so idk what to tell u

It's supposed to be green on the sprite man because it's bulky and can't fit in a backpack, so there has to be some sort of vagueness to it.
The fact that three quarters of the sprite would still be identical to a totally harmless tool creates a little ambiguity, no?
I support adding TrixRabitt's (seriously man it's "rabbit" this is driving me up a wall) sprites. If someone wants to call me hitler over literally 10 pixels I'll be just convinced that they jack off to doing that.
Not really a bug anymore but more a suggestion:

Comparing the red chainsaw to the cylume saber:
1. Not as strong as the saber. A con.
2. Can make meat outta corpses. A pro.
3. Can't be bagged. A con, and the biggest one at that. The saber can be put in a pocket for crying out loud.
So really it's not as good as the saber at all, so one thing I would suggest with the red chainsaw is that it can be put on the bag slot, as in you wear it over your back, sacrificing a bag slot while giving you the advantage that if you get disarmed or stunned, someone isn't going to absolutely fucking wreck your shit and gib your corpse too.
Only if you sprite a back-mounted red chainsaw.

Also a complete derail of the thread, really.