Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red chainsaw looks green from a distance
Well, it looks green in the hand anyway. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to recolour the green chainsaw's hand sprite.
Dabir Wrote:Well, it looks green in the hand anyway. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to recolour the green chainsaw's hand sprite.

Feature
No it ain't.
Made the chainsaw red.
South:Right[Image: sdwpfr6.gif] Left[Image: Hp7q3BK.gif]
North:Right[Image: eusJXht.gif] Left[Image: WywAcbL.gif]
East:Right[Image: ttm9myL.gif] Left[Image: KkQuD79.gif]
West:Right[Image: w5M9LVk.gif] Left[Image: 6MzlK6c.gif]
Organizing these was the hardest part, but hopefully I labeled these to the correct directions.
Made the chainsaw red.
South:Right[Image: sdwpfr6.gif] Left[Image: Hp7q3BK.gif]
North:Right[Image: eusJXht.gif] Left[Image: WywAcbL.gif]
East:Right[Image: ttm9myL.gif] Left[Image: KkQuD79.gif]
West:Right[Image: w5M9LVk.gif] Left[Image: 6MzlK6c.gif]
Organizing these was the hardest part, but hopefully I labeled these to the correct directions.
Dabir Wrote:No it ain't.
A stronger version of the green electric chainsaws found in hydroponics. It easily cuts through human flesh and is roughly equal in damage to an energy sword, but is too large to fit in a backpack (much less pockets). On the bright side, the in-hand sprite is less obvious and you can also use it to butcher corpses, i. e. get rid of your victims once and for all.

straight from the wiki. It supposed to be green as a balancing factr seeing how it's a basicly a Cyclume saber that gibs people but can't be put in a backpack
It looks like a chainsaw, you'd have to look twice to see that it's red instead of green. A cyalume saber is really fuckin' obvious.
Chainsaw's still green, I still disagree with pizzatiger.
pizzatiger Wrote:
Dabir Wrote:No it ain't.
A stronger version of the green electric chainsaws found in hydroponics. It easily cuts through human flesh and is roughly equal in damage to an energy sword, but is too large to fit in a backpack (much less pockets). On the bright side, the in-hand sprite is less obvious and you can also use it to butcher corpses, i. e. get rid of your victims once and for all.

straight from the wiki. It supposed to be green as a balancing factr seeing how it's a basicly a Cyclume saber that gibs people but can't be put in a backpack
It's meant to look like a normal chainsaw unless you use examine. This is a feature.
It's less obvious than a giant glowing energy sword with distinctive noises not apparently a totally harmless item until you get hit with it. The coloured casing is really a very small part of the sprite. If this is supposed to be a feature and I'm just whining about nothing then by all means, stick the thread in features, but until then I'll continue to believe that the red chainsaw, which is red, is not supposed to be green in-hand.

I mean if this is the way it's supposed to be, should security be tasing any random botanist who's carrying a chainsaw outside botany, just in case it magically turns red on the ground?
It might be worth considering that, yes, the red chainsaw may be designed to look like the green chainsaw, but a chainsaw massacre is a chainsaw massacre regardless of the hue and lethality of the chainsaw in question. Once you start hacking away at people with it (and I mean, you can't really do much of anything else with it once you order it), it's not like people are going to dismiss you as not being a threat because they think your chainsaw is green. The only real stealth value it provides is the ability to run through the hallways with it while pursuing your first victim and not get quite as many weird looks, and you need some fucking Superman vision to notice any sort of difference in sprite with that timeframe.

In short, a chainsaw is not a stealth weapon, and it's not like altering the hue of a few pixels on the sprite is going to absolutely ruin anyone's chances of chainsawing people to death. Having it have the exact same in-hand sprite as the normal one is just ridiculous, and if it's supposed to be a feature, I'm of the opinion that it's a pretty lazy feature.
It requires you to examine the person to figure out if it is or isn't a red chainsaw. This leads to A: People panicing whenever a botanist runs around with a normal chainsaw while getting materials or something, which is funny, and B: People not realizing until the botanist starts chasing them that it's a red chainsaw, which is pretty funny too.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:It requires you to examine the person to figure out if it is or isn't a red chainsaw. This leads to A: People panicing whenever a botanist runs around with a normal chainsaw while getting materials or something, which is funny, and B: People not realizing until the botanist starts chasing them that it's a red chainsaw, which is pretty funny too.
Maybe we just have vastly different senses of humor, but I don't think that's very funny. And even so, I fail to see how those two points serve to explain why the in-hand sprite should be kept green, aside from the argument of "it forces people to examine the person", which strikes me as an awfully cyclical point to try and make.

I dunno, I feel like some admin input on whether or not the in-hand sprite is actually supposed to be green would help here.
It's a factor of the huge amount of paranoia that this game is meant to have. There's a reason that we had an actual Paranoia game going after all. It's said that it's meant to be a less-obvious kinda Cyalume Saber, with the gibbing feature and whatnot. Part of not being an obvious traitor weapon is having the same sprite as a non-traitor item. Another way to explain it, I guess, is that this seems like arguing that the sleepypen needs to have a special colored in-hand sprite, instead of just the normal little pen sprite, or that the hacked mining charges should.
The thing is the sleepy pen is meant to be stealthy which is way no one takes a person serious when they want it sprited in a way that gives it away. A chainsaw be it red or green is not stealth and should have a obvious way of telling the difference between the two. For two reasons

1. If left like this some people may attack any botanist with a normal chainsaw in hand out of fear and that's pretty annoying

2. It's a powerful weapon that can kill fast and not meant to be a stealth weapon.