Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Hydroponics Suggestions
Frank_Stein Wrote:Crewcumbers-Living Cucumbers with little arms and legs. They have random crew members names and will repeat things they say/follow them around/dance.
Add this in now.
Zadeon Wrote:
Frank_Stein Wrote:Crewcumbers-Living Cucumbers with little arms and legs. They have random crew members names and will repeat things they say/follow them around/dance.
Add this in now.

Addendum: Instead of just repeating things, they could also make vegetable puns.

"Beet it, bub."
"Artichoke on it."
"Lettuce get outta here"
"I'm radical. You're radish."

Etc.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:Why is everyone ignoring the best goddamned suggestion in the thread? I want fucking crewcumbers, that sounds amazing.

What if the plant is reharvestable, (and can gain the immortality mutation) only produces one crewk at a time, and the crewcumber mimics and follows around whoever picked it?

Geokinesis Wrote:Key Lime - use the lime on a locked door to open it once, the lime is destroyed as you squish it against the door to open it. Also leaves lime juice on the door in case the detective wants to investigate a break in.

Both of these sound just funny enough to work. Do the Crewcumbers use the *scream emote and complain about the AI too?
Have whoever picks the cucumber determine what job it is. So botanists would create little crewcumbers in green and blue suits that help with the plants (watering, removing weeds, etc). Assistants would create ones that run around picking up anything not nailed down. Sec guards create guys who stun anyone set to arrest and assistant crewcumbers.
"AI, Durian"

Crewcumbers could *scream when eaten or sliced and *fart out the occasional cucumber seed. Of course both are high pitched.
Zadeon Wrote:Have whoever picks the cucumber determine what job it is. So botanists would create little crewcumbers in green and blue suits that help with the plants (watering, removing weeds, etc). Assistants would create ones that run around picking up anything not nailed down. Sec guards create guys who stun anyone set to arrest and assistant crewcumbers.

They need to be completely useless. Like, if they pick things up, they should just wave them around and make woosh noises, like kids playing with action figures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDtv9g7u1g
So i'm actually going to sit down and start spriting stuff from the pirate pad that I like.

THINGS I LIKE:
More drugs. Whacky nefarious shit. Strange environmental effects, like plants. A good chemist would create implosions and death inferno, while a good botanist would cause you to teleport your mind into another dimension, and when you regain consciousness, you are fucking tree.

THINGS ON THE PIRATE PAD I LIKE:
1. Tobacco, drug and derivatives (starting point)
2. Plants that have environmental effects. One example was radweed that removes radiation. More stuff like that.
3. Decorative science.
4. General nonsense derived from puns.

GENERAL PERSONAL FEELINGS TOWARDS BOTANY:
1. Botany has a shit ton of potential. Like, really. I know the general consensus that admins aren't really bothered with botany right now, but I feel if well, here's a bunch of sprites and some cool applications, then away ye go.
2. Botany should not be poor mans science. It shouldn't be just weed central. In general it should produce UNIQUE items and UNIQUE chemicals.
3. Chef should have botany access so he can actually grow stuff himself. Most botanists don't mind people in their work area, so they defo wont mind a chef. crossarms
Sundance Wrote:So i'm actually going to sit down and start spriting stuff from the pirate pad that I like.

THINGS I LIKE:
More drugs. Whacky nefarious shit. Strange environmental effects, like plants. A good chemist would create implosions and death inferno, while a good botanist would cause you to teleport your mind into another dimension, and when you regain consciousness, you are fucking tree.

2. Plants that have environmental effects. One example was radweed that removes radiation. More stuff like that.
3. Decorative science.

1. Botany has a shit ton of potential. Like, really. I know the general consensus that admins aren't really bothered with botany right now, but I feel if well, here's a bunch of sprites and some cool applications, then away ye go.
2. Botany should not be poor mans science. It shouldn't be just weed central. In general it should produce UNIQUE items and UNIQUE chemicals.
3. Chef should have botany access so he can actually grow stuff himself. Most botanists don't mind people in their work area, so they defo wont mind a chef. crossarms

I agree with all of this, especially Chef having access to hydro.
Botany needs more reasons to haul their hydroponic trays out into the hallways.

"WHY IS THIS PLANT SPITTING SLIME AT ME"
APARTHEID Wrote:Botany needs more reasons to haul their hydroponic trays out into the hallways.

"WHY IS THIS PLANT SPITTING SLIME AT ME"
Plants vs. Spacemen
Sundance Wrote:So i'm actually going to sit down and start spriting stuff from the pirate pad that I like.

THINGS I LIKE:

3. Decorative science.

Mushrooms & Mycology too. currently there is only the generic "space fungus" and it's mutations... Mushrooms could be grown in the useless backroom. like I said earlier here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4332&start=15#p48360
[continued due to inability to edit]
... I agree with everything you've said here. Teleporting your mind sounds like ayahuasca.
I was thinking that if botany could make materials to use in the arc smelter, it could open up a whole world of possibilities. Some materials I could think of off the top of my head include:
  • Bee Wool: Bees are the fluffiest things imaginable, they should work like little buzzy sheep in a perfect world.
    Hemp: Flammable, makes fumes that get you high.
    Cotton: Just plain ol' fabric, what? They aren't all super deadly.
    Synthleather: comes from a synth-meat plant as a byproduct? The other option is a synth-skin plant, but... that's just creepy sounding!
    Wood: [Insert dong joke here.]. So we could make olde timey space station's made of wood.
    Papyrus: Could also be made from paper just lying around the station, but where's the needless effort in that? It could burn like hemp minus the hallucinations, or be destroyed by water.
    Rubber: We have the synthetic kind, but not the regular type? This is confusing! I don't think you can make regular synth-rubber in a way that doesn't involve making cables currently anyways so this could make things more streamlined.

There are probably more obvious ones that are lost on me right now, but I think you get the idea here! The idea here is mainly to give a use for botany to the crew beyond QM/Food Staff. Everybody likes making horrible materials and coating escape in it, and now Botany could get in on the action!
Sundance Wrote:I know the general consensus that admins aren't really bothered with botany right now, but I feel if well, here's a bunch of sprites and some cool applications, then away ye go.
That would help quite a bit. I can sprite okay, but that does take a lot of time, and having that part done would make adding things easier.

Here is the tray template (sorry for the opaque background, byond is dumb like that):
[Image: 08759ec22e.png]
It combines with the hydroponics trays like so:
[Image: cb60ceec74.png]

How botany sprites work:
[Image: 982878a6a4.png]
There are 3/4 plant growth stages. Dead, just planted, growing, ready to harvest. Things like weed/contusine/nureous/venne only have the first three states, as they're only harvestable once per seed.
There's also item sprites, things for the harvests:
[Image: 030c454600.png]
If I've got that stuff, adding more plants is easy enough.

phart Wrote:Wood: [Insert dong joke here.]. So we could make olde timey space station's made of wood.
There are already trees, actually. Check the seed vendors. They harvest into planks, which isn't quite what you wanted, but I can probably expand into that.