Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Empty Servers in the US
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Xeram Wrote:As someone sitting in Indiana I found the US servers much laggier than the EU server for some reason. I also really don't understand how the US based servers died so quickly like, I think the EU server had been up like 2 days and everyone had gone to it and abandoned every other one if I recall, with the others down to like 5 - 3 players.
Oh hey, another Hoosier.
Xeram Wrote:As someone sitting in Indiana I found the US servers much laggier than the EU server for some reason. I also really don't understand how the US based servers died so quickly like, I think the EU server had been up like 2 days and everyone had gone to it and abandoned every other one if I recall, with the others down to like 5 - 3 players.

Hello fellow Hoosiers. But yeah the EU vs USA stuff has always been dumb. I do think it is nice that some admins let us know when new rounds are starting on other servers.
Silvercloud29 Wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the specs of the machine that hosts #4? If my machine blows it out of the water I could make a virtual machine for just SS13
My PC Specs are as follows
I7-3770k (4 cores, 8 threads running at 3.5Ghz each)
16Gb of Memory (Ram)
A Geforce 970 Oc with 4GB of DDR5 Vram (If this matters at all for SS13 hosting, I doubt it does)
I have half of a 256GB SSD that isn't being used and half of a 2TB HDD if that isn't enough for the system.

dude, even our old proliant virtualizers at my it club's server room is 16 cores, 32gb ram, i doubt running a virtual machine on your desktop would be as efficient as a fully fledged hosting rack (but who knows on what kind of toaster #4 runs)
Splatpope Wrote:dude, even our old proliant virtualizers at my it club's server room is 16 cores, 32gb ram, i doubt running a virtual machine on your desktop would be as efficient as a fully fledged hosting rack (but who knows on what kind of toaster #4 runs)

It's a personal machine, my own computer that I upgrade at micro center once I saved up to get the next parts (It cuts the cost when you get the warranty and be like 2 years down the road buy something that's top of the line when the part you have now costs $100 bucks) Anyway. I don't know what kind of machine is running these servers, everyone says byond is horribly coded. It could be that it uses a lot more power then what it actually needs. The admins should post the specs or give us an idea the kind of power a SS13 server needs to run it at 40+ people
Sorry for the double post...

An added thought, last I remember, LLJK2 was being ran out of someones spare desktop PC.
LLJK 1-3 are run by Gibbed/Rick and he has a few other game servers running on the same machine(s), so the performance is going to be noticeably worse than LLJK 4 which as far as I know is dedicated to that server. Even with 50+ people I don't find the lag unplayable, save for a few exceptions where the server is dying because of the bug of the week/day.
Unless it's different in goon code, ss13 only uses 1 core so single core speed is the only real factor for CPU.
I saw yesterday a notice is posted on LLJK 4 when a round was starting on 2, so hopefully that will help balance things out a bit.
franfoer Wrote:I saw yesterday a notice is posted on LLJK 4 when a round was starting on 2, so hopefully that will help balance things out a bit.

it wont.
3 is run by volundr, not Rick.