Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gang Wars - Official Discussion Thread (Wonk)
After playing my first game of gang wars yesterday, I quickly found it to be my new favorite game mode. It really is a ton of fun. Unfortunately, though, spraytagging is a pretty boring mechanic. Having to retag everything over and over quickly loses its appeal. Not to mention that it gives a huge advantage to whichever gang recruits the most members, resulting in a sort of snowball effect.

How about adding money as a gang objective or scoring mechanic? Not just controlling a certain percentage area of the station, but also collecting an amount of hard cash. After all, gangs all want to be rich as well as recognized. That should add an interesting twist to the game mode.
Cash and weed will probably be added to the scoring method eventually.
Cogwerks Wrote:Cash and weed will probably be added to the scoring method eventually.
along with lsd/bathsalts/krokodil/crank

hard drugs should definitely give points, along with the gang selling them to civilians for profit!
I've noticed that one gang with a locker in a high traffic spot usually grows to a size where it is impossible to deal with them anymore. In order to negate this rapid gang growth would it be possible to limit the number of members a gang can recruit in correlation to the gangs score? This way the gangs would need to establish themselves a bit before they can competently overrun security as well as give other gangs a chance to get more members.
Preid Wrote:I've noticed that one gang with a locker in a high traffic spot usually grows to a size where it is impossible to deal with them anymore. In order to negate this rapid gang growth would it be possible to limit the number of members a gang can recruit in correlation to the gangs score? This way the gangs would need to establish themselves a bit before they can competently overrun security as well as give other gangs a chance to get more members.
This would be nice because it would really slow things down in gang mode. I've only played one round and it was great, but my biggest complaint is that the whole station became a warzone five minutes into the round. One member of Gang A kills a member of Gang B, and soon we have small fights popping up all over the place. We overran security at the 15 minute mark. It's just too fast. Slowing things down would make the mode more manageable, and there would be a ton more strategy in managing your gang and choosing a proper place to headquarter your gang.
How about we call the score "Rep" and every time you reach a "Rep" milestone you can add one more member. First member is free, then you get another at 10 rep. The next one at 25, the next at 50 ect. This would slow the pace of the game, add a higher element of strategy and overall make things interesting. You don't want to be the gang that pisses off sec with only 3 members, yet you want to get more rep through money so you harass people.
I am now wholly convinced that this idea is awesome.

But the Rep Milestones would have to be different, unless we're getting Rep at an ungodly rate. 50 Rep for the fourth person? We'd never get there and the gang would be crushed by the neutrals. Maybe something like...

Every 5 Rep you gain a member, up to five members.
Then every 10 Rep you gain a member, up to ten members.
Etc.

This means gangs need to actually put in effort to grow and can't just plop their locker in a high-traffic area and be giant all of a sudden.
I also think that Sec should be able to capture lockers or something to that extent. When it was still in testing I remember sec dragging gang lockers all the way back to the brig and securing them, halting that gangs progression. I think something similar to this should be implemented because that way you have;
A) Announcing your locker location over the radio is basically gang suicide
B) Sec going undercover to find locker locations, even rival gangs selling out the oppositions location
C) A reason for gangs to defend their home territory
D) Planning behind the locker locations, meaning no high traffic locker placements
I don't know exactly what sec could be able to do but it's up for discussion.
Thing with being able to shut things down completely like that is people are going to be pricks about it. Someone is going to go "Huehuehueuheuheuhe antagonist!!! I'm going to ruin his round!" and space the gang locker. I like how it is now where they are bolted in place and can't be moved.

But I think it would be neat if an opposing gang could tag on a gangs locker. It could or could not do anything but I imagine it as a "Yeah, I got your number TURD FLIPPERS."
No when the gang lockers were movable it was awful, security just shoved ALL of the lockers into the deepest part of the brig, and it made it really hard for the gangs to mobilize and get more gang members.

I also dont like the idea of limiting the amount of people who can join gangs, gangs are not like mindslaves were they have an all access pass for grief, Gangs have a lot of street rules to respect. I also think that the Gangs are pretty balanced the way it is, it seems to me when a gang becomes very large they besiege Security. That is when smaller gangs run in, take the largest gang down, then appear to the crew like they are street vigilantes. I honestly think its pretty balanced.
last time I played gang I saw a guy walling off a gang locker

I guess that's one way to deal with gangs
Timelimit Wrote:last time I played gang I saw a guy walling off a gang locker

I guess that's one way to deal with gangs

I did that once but I was in a rival gang and I wanted to mess with them. What I really wanted to do was tag on the locker
Perhaps tagging a locker should prevent new members from joining, and old members from getting gear until it's cleaned. Take the locker out by marking it, then just kill or defeat the remaining gang members and take their spray cans away.
atomic1fire Wrote:Perhaps tagging a locker should prevent new members from joining, and old members from getting gear until it's cleaned. Take the locker out by marking it, then just kill or defeat the remaining gang members and take their spray cans away.
That seems a bit overpowered, but I can't think of any better way to do it.
It also means that gangs will either bum rush janitors office, which is sort of hilarious in and of itself, or head for chemistry or QM and demand spray bottles.

Also perhaps cleaning grenades could clean lockers as well, Just to balance things out. (or just splashing a beaker full of space cleaner)