Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gang Wars - Official Discussion Thread (Wonk)
I noticed a conversation cropping up in the "Let's talk about spy mode" thread, so I thought it'd bee good to start a new thread to talk about gang wars.

So, uh. I like it!
Haven't played it yet, but if it's anything like the gang wars of lore (admins give players uniforms and weapons and divide them into teams) then it should be great.
My take on gang wars was to not divide people at all. The leaders get a crate of costumes and a home turf of their choosing, plus a random name like LOS GRUMPOS or the WEIRD G's. No syndicate radio.

Recruitment is done in-person, if you can convince someone to join your gang, cool. Entirely voluntary, no mindslaves. If they don't like your leadership, they can just fuck off like a busta. This tends to boil down to people joining whichever gang asks them first, but there've been some good betrayals and people waiting to see which gang offers the best hats.

In some of the tests so far, neat things have happened jazz gang laying low the whole round and murdering every other gangster at the very end, the Owl gang sending a lieutenant out pretending to be the leader, trying to set up a peace conference with the other gangs just to out their leaders, and other clever stuff with grunts doing all the recruiting trying to lure in the neutrals who are upset at the mean gangs for rampaging in the hallways.

In one of those rounds the leader of the BUZZSAWS tried to recruit most of the doctors to his team, failed, got really sad and just made a big cache of medical supplies and sold it off to whichever other gangs would grant him amnesty. He ended up being one of the last two leaders alive that round.

Most people seem to love the idea so far, a few absolutely hated it, welp.
Things like this definitely run a lot rougher when random leaders are picked by the game instead of me hand-picking the leaders, but hopefully Kay and I can work out the bugs and polish it up a bit.
One thing that I did notice in the Gang rounds I saw/played, is that Scientists are amazing. Whoever has control over the Research Wing and has been recruiting there get's a huge advantage from bombs and chems. Of course other areas like QM have advantages like guns, but, being able to in a moment wipe out an entire gang can be rather annoying, albeit intended I'm sure.
Cogwerks Wrote:Things like this definitely run a lot rougher when random leaders are picked by the game instead of me hand-picking the leaders
Maybe only people who can be HoS could be picked as leaders?
Or at least fill up the gang leader slots with HoS people before picking random crew members.
Siaru Wrote:One thing that I did notice in the Gang rounds I saw/played, is that Scientists are amazing. Whoever has control over the Research Wing and has been recruiting there get's a huge advantage from bombs and chems. Of course other areas like QM have advantages like guns, but, being able to in a moment wipe out an entire gang can be rather annoying, albeit intended I'm sure.

I was one of the leaders in one of the gang-war tests. Unfortunately my connection died midway, but I was set up in Toxins while a whole other gang was in the Artifact Lab. Even just between the two of us, there was infighting and shit going on; science is just as likely to kill themselves in a feud than anyone else, especially given that there's no mindslave-grade loyalty.

A Botanist Leader who has a rogue gang member might get chainsawed in the face, but it's far easier to survive than the Scientist rogue who opens the valve.
Quote:You are the leader of the Gang Name gang!

You must recruit people to your cause and fight other gangs!
Don't kill civilians unless you have to. Recruit them to your cause instead!
Recruit people by convincing them to help you and wear your gang outfit.
You can use the Set Gang Base command once which will make your current area into your gang's base and spawn a locker full of equipment.
Your objective is simple: Kill the opposing gang leaders.

Despite the glitchy name for my gang, I recruited ten people into my horse-mask crew. NONE OF THEM WERE THERE FOR ME WHEN I GOT MURDERED.

I love it.
Too hard to know who's in what gang and stuff. This seems to just turn into either a bunch of gang members grouping up somewhere and turning it into their base or going out killing everyone hoping to catch gang members.
This sounds fun as hell actually.

If ever I find myself as a Gang leader all members will be required to to mainline some simian SE's and reenforce the station with tables at strategic locations.
Also this must be fucking impossible to moderate
I've been enjoying this very much when it works. I remember a bunch of us throwing around ideas in ghost chat about how the gametype should work.
It's an interesting variation on all the other game modes where the antags goal is to just kill everything, makes for interesting rounds.
I enjoyed playing gimmicks for two rounds: I was an arms dealer (HoS) selling wares to gangs who needed defence, then I was a vigilante, viscously murdering and cleansing the streets of gang scum, but I noticed something wrong with this mode, that only a minority is actually wearing any gang clothing. The first round, most of the stuff I sold was to neutrals, people who didn't want to be in a gang and wanted my weapons for "self-defence"
The second round I was killed by 5 people wearing 5 different kinds of clothing, so I presumed none of them were in a gang, so when I went onto what I thought was safe territory because I thought I was on neutral ground, I was murdered. Some people were saying "well, I was wearing the gangs hat.." but really that isn't much if you are wearing a big ass mask over it.
I know this almost seems like a free-for-all in terms, and it's fun, but I think there really needs to be some sort of code that will force them to wear clothing.
Something like a handshake, so like when you say: *shakehand, and the player reciprocates that handshake, then his clothing changes to that gangs clothing. Only the gang leader can shake hands, creating that bond, thoughts?
Please tell me there is a nice outfit that looks like a tuxedo under a trench coat so we can look like professional, classy Italian Mafia Spacemen. Don Rube Corgi-leone wants to give people offers they cant refuse(the offers involve murder)
Teamwork and mass recruiting. A first win for the Space Warlocks.

Sundance took off his HoS access, which stopped us from getting all the lasers. A smart move.

We had a mass of robust players and mentors. (Unfortunately Ifuk was slowing down the team so we melted him.)
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Please tell me there is a nice outfit that looks like a tuxedo under a trench coat so we can look like professional, classy Italian Mafia Spacemen. Don Rube Corgi-leone wants to give people offers they cant refuse(the offers involve murder)

there's a bitchin' leather jacket so you can pretend to be greasers. that's all anyone really needs.

we got bombed horribly, rip QM gang