Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.55 Average
Will the solarium GOOD ending ever be cleared?
AmosMoses Wrote:The space time breach, The ill-looking fellow has been in there for quite some time no? How long?

What I mean by this is some sort of Primer style time travel. The breach, did they go back in time or did their shuttle get stuck in whatever phenomenon we are in. Did time catch up to them instead of them going back in time? Were they displaced?
We got a big hint today. In essence, it told us:
STOP MAKING SENSE. DO NOT OVER COMPLICATE THINGS.

The sun bee, that doesn't make sense. Why would hugging a bee 100 times give you a key?
The Key Lime Pie, that doesn't make sense. It's silly, it's fun, and it MAKES NO SENSE.

We need to find more things that don't make sense, and then, we will know the truth.
We need to step back, and not look deep. Look shallow. There's a quote, I forget where it's from, but it says that "The less you look, the more you are able to see." Take of this what you will.
One
Why should we not be Ahab?
To provide some context to the above.

In the IRC chat, popecrunch gave the IRC channel a message to decode, and promised that he would answer any question given to him, within reason, with 100% accuracy. My question was: "given all of our findings and what we have documented...are we still missing an item or multiple items that are necessary to achieve the good ending of solarium? or have we had all of the pieces but simply failed to put them together in the correct manner?"

popecrunch's response was: "Yes and no. Consider Ahab."

He later clarified with:
"clarification: you have found pretty much everything you need to work out the questions you are asking specifically. whether these questions are the right questions to ask is something i'm pointedly not talking about."
"Consider the fact that the translated codephrase was a HUGE hint as to the nature of the puzzle, and the clarification i gave you will start to ring with a certain clarity"

The translated codephrase was "Wisdom begins when you stop trying to make sense."

We've been approaching Solarium in the mindset of trying to make sense out of it. And I mean, why wouldn't we? That's basically science in a nutshell: We see something that doesn't make sense, so we try to make sense out of it.

But consider where we are. Consider the server that we play on. This is Goonstation, for fuck's sake! The place where you can permanently staple butts to heads, reach temperatures exceeding the core of the sun in a simple pipe, create life just by mashing together a few chemical reactions, make a staple gun come to life and staple people to death, fart on a bible and explode into bloody giblets! This isn't a place that makes sense by our definition of sense, and as a result, why should we expect Solarium, the central component of one of the things exclusive to Goonstation, to make any sort of sense?

We've been trying to mash different pieces of this puzzle together in a way that we think makes sense, but the truth is that it doesn't make sense, won't ever make sense, and any attempt to make sense out of it will ultimately be futile. All of the overanalysis and the careful examination of every single miniature detail is leading us down the wrong path.

And that Hamlet quotation about Yorrick everyone keeps trying to decode? Yorrick was a jokester. A trickster. Someone who made fun of things. This entire Solarium good ending business is one gigantic joke, and the ending itself is no doubt the punchline. Perhaps not a joke at our expense, as so many people frequently say, but it's something funny, nonsensical, and made to entertain.

As for the philosopher's stone: If wisdom begins when you stop trying to make sense, perhaps handing over the philosopher's stone is significant of having achieved this wisdom. Of having been shown the joke and understood the joke. Or, hell, maybe you just need to deep-fry the damn thing and give that to the automaton, I don't know.

You know what? Maybe we are a bunch of nerds, and maybe that nerdy approach is exactly our downfall. Science and the scientific method will, I suspect, do us absolutely no good in this scenario, because we need to stop making sense. Then, so the hint would have us believe, the real knowledge of how to achieve this good ending will become apparent.
I bet you anything you have to use a butt somewhere to get the ending.
Going on this new set of information.... Since no one has been able to open the soviet briefcase.... maybe one of the two keys could be the key lime pie?
Here's what I'm gleaming based on the quote, pope's counting seemingly in response to things on this thread, and other things.

We need to do something downright-goonstation-stupid with the Philosopher's Stone.

Or the second closest thing that is self destructive and stupid in any situation, arming the briefcase.

If logic and science didn't work, then try bumbling facefirst into it like a moron instead untill something happens.
Xeram Wrote:Here's what I'm gleaming based on the quote, pope's counting seemingly in response to things on this thread, and other things.

We need to do something downright-goonstation-stupid with the Philosopher's Stone.

Or the second closest thing that is self destructive and stupid in any situation, arming the briefcase.

If logic and science didn't work, then try bumbling facefirst into it like a moron instead untill something happens.
Pope is a butt and is counting down to confuse us all.
[quote="Xeram"]Here's what I'm gleaming based on the quote, pope's counting seemingly in response to things on this thread, and other things.[/quote]

I thought this too. But while typing up the post for it, a lot of the stuff he counted down after didn't make much sense. Also he counted 2, twice.

[quote="Xeram"We need to do something downright-goonstation-stupid with the Philosopher's Stone.

If logic and science didn't work, then try bumbling facefirst into it like a moron instead untill something happens.[/quote]

Pubby Maens throws the Philosopher's stone at the janitor!
Could you throw that into the crusher for me? Thanks!

Pubs McKendric puts the philosopher's stone into the dough.
Pubs McKendric bakes a philosopher's stone key lime pie!

Anna Pubbington shoots the CLF3/Plasma flamethrower at the Philosopher's stone!

Pubbin Mcgee hits the philosopher's stone against the mauxite!

Publin Nator Puts the philosopher's stone in the Arc Smelter!

Just some random stupid shit I would see end up happening. I'd say wait for there to be a big crowd at the bar on LLJK4 and throw it into the crowd and see what happens to it
So on the topic of "Wisdom begins when you stop trying to make sense", I can think of something that you can do that makes no sense and (seemingly) achieves nothing.

You can throw the obsidian crown on top of the Meatstation boss.

It doesn't make it any harder to kill, nothing changes in the level, you only get one line of text saying "You throw the crown on the something", and you can't get the crown back once you throw it on the boss.

It probably does /SOMETHING/, though. I just don't know what.
[Image: VWH5o71.jpg]

Log is different as it loops. Dunno if it's a bug.

Then the cassette vanished completely.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:To provide some context to the above.

In the IRC chat, popecrunch gave the IRC channel a message to decode, and promised that he would answer any question given to him, within reason, with 100% accuracy. My question was: "given all of our findings and what we have documented...are we still missing an item or multiple items that are necessary to achieve the good ending of solarium? or have we had all of the pieces but simply failed to put them together in the correct manner?"

popecrunch's response was: "Yes and no. Consider Ahab."

He later clarified with:
"clarification: you have found pretty much everything you need to work out the questions you are asking specifically. whether these questions are the right questions to ask is something i'm pointedly not talking about."
"Consider the fact that the translated codephrase was a HUGE hint as to the nature of the puzzle, and the clarification i gave you will start to ring with a certain clarity"

The translated codephrase was "Wisdom begins when you stop trying to make sense."

We've been approaching Solarium in the mindset of trying to make sense out of it. And I mean, why wouldn't we? That's basically science in a nutshell: We see something that doesn't make sense, so we try to make sense out of it.

But consider where we are. Consider the server that we play on. This is Goonstation, for fuck's sake! The place where you can permanently staple butts to heads, reach temperatures exceeding the core of the sun in a simple pipe, create life just by mashing together a few chemical reactions, make a staple gun come to life and staple people to death, fart on a bible and explode into bloody giblets! This isn't a place that makes sense by our definition of sense, and as a result, why should we expect Solarium, the central component of one of the things exclusive to Goonstation, to make any sort of sense?

We've been trying to mash different pieces of this puzzle together in a way that we think makes sense, but the truth is that it doesn't make sense, won't ever make sense, and any attempt to make sense out of it will ultimately be futile. All of the overanalysis and the careful examination of every single miniature detail is leading us down the wrong path.

And that Hamlet quotation about Yorrick everyone keeps trying to decode? Yorrick was a jokester. A trickster. Someone who made fun of things. This entire Solarium good ending business is one gigantic joke, and the ending itself is no doubt the punchline. Perhaps not a joke at our expense, as so many people frequently say, but it's something funny, nonsensical, and made to entertain.

As for the philosopher's stone: If wisdom begins when you stop trying to make sense, perhaps handing over the philosopher's stone is significant of having achieved this wisdom. Of having been shown the joke and understood the joke. Or, hell, maybe you just need to deep-fry the damn thing and give that to the automaton, I don't know.

You know what? Maybe we are a bunch of nerds, and maybe that nerdy approach is exactly our downfall. Science and the scientific method will, I suspect, do us absolutely no good in this scenario, because we need to stop making sense. Then, so the hint would have us believe, the real knowledge of how to achieve this good ending will become apparent.

Alright, I'm ready to
shove the server down and fart in it's face.
Got to read the logs on meatstation.

Telecrystals are covered in sumerian text?