Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you guys read on your free time?
Mostly horror. I stopped reading actual books quite a while ago because where I live there is no convenient place to get them, and the libraries are bad. Now I make due with horror that I find on the internet, though that's almost never actually any good, at the most good for a few laughs.

Sadly I've never really been drawn to any webcomics, as none of them that I've come across cover horror, though I've never actually searched for one.
To elaborate a bit more on my previous statement:

Not very much, really. Homestuck, the What If bit that XKCD does, and an absolutely GORGEOUS and mind-bending comic known as The Property of Hate, which I heartily reccommend for any fans of symbolism-intensive, downright psychadelic landscapes and colorful characters. Seriously, the characters are really colorful. One of the major ones is even named RGB!
Comic books, lots and lots of comic books. Also the Halo books I never read, but have owned for ten years now.
I never got to read any of Issac Asimov's books I was considering actually picking up a copy or two and reading them sometime. Other then that I used to like fantasy books, I like reading just.. I haven't really had the motivation too, why read when you have something a bit more interactive? I know thats a stupid way of looking at it. I gotta get into a book again.
I've always liked science fiction novels like Dune or Book of the New Sun since they are written in an allegorical and pseudo-mythological style.
I've been reading a lot of Thomas Pynchon recently, and I feel he does postmodernism quite well and does not come off and somewhat pretentious like DFW or absolutely insane like some of Joyce's works. Also casual babbies who hang out at Starbucks and play Skyrim like Palahniuk.
Been reading The Witcher books lately. The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny are pretty darn good collections of short stories if you're interested in that kind of thing. Sapkowski really has a way of luring you in, even if some of his ideas aren't too revolutionary or genre-defying. Haven't really gotten into the later books yet, but I read Baptism of Fire and was sorta underwhelmed (some of the characters are pretty great, though).

Also props to Gone With the Blastwave. Dude updates like.... Once a year, but it's pretty great stuff if you don't mind combing the archives.
As of late, only the Dark Elf series by RA Salvatore (aka some of the most popular Forgotten Realms stuff out there). Alternatively, a lot of horror short stories/creepypasta but less and less in recent days.
I've read every John Steinbeck novel I've been able to get my hands on, and my curriculum has incidentally forcefed me quite a few of Jan Skansholm's works on computer science. I also read a bit of critical theory, Marxist literature and science fiction (mainly Ursula Le Guin, China MiƩville and Iain M. Banks). When it comes to magazines, I read the Jacobin and a few different photography rags; comics, mostly Saga and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
just finished reading a james joyce book recently, a portrait of the artist as a young man. please dont ever put yourself through that. please. i'm warning all of you.

the next book i've got on my list to read is the second game of thrones book lmao
I enjoy vampire books. Anne Rice is good but I love the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton. Anita Blake is a bad ass vampire executioner in a world where being a vampire or shape shifter is legal. So there are legal battles and lots of cool police work with paranormal stuff. I recommend the Anita Blake series for everyone.
Fonctional Electronics

Engineers dont have free time
I like to read BOLO books. They're about giant, sentient future space robot-tanks and for the most part the stories read like Asimovian tales with more action.

Except Road to Damascus by John Ringo. It may have had a BOLO in it but the story quickly degraded into how space liberals are evil and they want to genocide the hard working, innocent, heroic space conservative farmers who grow food because, uh...um...reasons?

Don't read John Ringo at all. frown
You guys know what the best thing to read is!? The Unban Appeals forum. It's almost always updated with new content and has large amount of funny moments of human stupidity. Go and give it a read sometime!