Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Requesting suggestions for thursday's new daily job
Responsibility. Stuns in this game = death. I shouldn't have to poinr that out.
mentors have (for the most part) proven they're not going to be dumb with stuff. so yeah, it'd be great to give the station more jobs with cool gadgets. sure. but why not give mentors something to have FUN with that normal players can't? some of them are silly to give only to mentors, but i'm all for things such as the diplomat and vip (and maybe regional director) being mentor only.

plus it's really easy to get mentor?? you just need to show people you're not a massive prick, and that you know some stuff about a space station game.
My opinion is to give everyone all the gimmic jobs with a small warning to not abuse it or you will become job-banned. Then if multiple people abuse said job with no sign of stopping;thats when you mentor lock it/Add a seperate application for it.

I understand the ideal that you don't want to give stuff like diplomants to regular players BUT if you are giving all the fun special jobs to mentors it demeans the purpose of being a mentor. A mentors job is to be a volunteer who helps the community while expecting NOTHING in return, No special faviors,jobs,First picks for admin gimmics. If you give them shit it attract shitheads who seem smart/knowledgable and want to help the community but really just want to play as the funny alien diplomat or have a higher chance to become machoman (I am not saying admin play favorites, Just that if your not careful it could seem or even become that way). The only sure-fire way to attract good helpful mentors who get NOTHING in return is to make it clear that YOU WILL GET NOTHING BUT THANK YOU'S FROM THE STAFF/PLAYERBASE FOR YOUR SERVICE

If you want to have a fun seperate application locked fourm. Add a body guard that can spawn after the VIP/during round start(if there is an Vip who also joins) who has a bullet proof jacket,A small pistol, a box of handcuffs and some some fany sunglasses with the goal to portect the VIP at any harm. Once a bodyguard is spawned you can then have one or two hardmode traitors randomly picked from the crew, Call them assasians and give them the objective to kill the VIP.
All I'm saying is that by that logic all Sec Officers, captain, and detective should be mentor only too. The Captain's E-gun is one of the deadliest weapons in the game. It's trivially easy to murder people by stunning them a few times then lasering them to death. The detective starts with a 7 shot revolver that comes with tons of lethal ammo. I just don't see how these jobs are anymore potentially deadly than the captain or detective are. Again, there is a reason the Rules pages exists.

Now I'd be all for giving the mentors something really special for not being shit, I just don't think a stun cane is that great.
Hang on now.

I saw Illithids in that mutant race list. What's up with that?
LinkDaWolf Wrote:mentors have (for the most part) proven they're not going to be dumb with stuff. so yeah, it'd be great to give the station more jobs with cool gadgets. sure. but why not give mentors something to have FUN with that normal players can't? some of them are silly to give only to mentors, but i'm all for things such as the diplomat and vip (and maybe regional director) being mentor only.

plus it's really easy to get mentor?? you just need to show people you're not a massive prick, and that you know some stuff about a space station game.

I figure that giving the mentors some cool stuff in reward for being useful helpers would be a nice thing to do. Also some "RP" roles would be really boring for most players, so giving the roles to players who can make the roles interesting would make the most sense. Otherwise the roles sit unused, or used rather poorly.

I think there are some roles that might be fun to play, like bodyguard assigned to protect a random crewmen, or criminal with a rapsheet (security record) both the crook and security know about, which serves as a set of guidelines for acceptable crimes.
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the weapons or access, just a general assumption that mentors/HOS know the game well enough to have fun some goofy randomly-available gimmick jobs and make them fun for others. Originally I was just gonna have them be random roles that HoS players might get if the HoS slot is already taken. Alternatively, it could just be a "Gimmick Jobs" toggle in player prefs. If it's toggled on, a couple of assistants in a round might get them instead of being assistants.
can illithids paralyze people and eat brains?
Making certain jobs or things, whatever they are, locked behind mentoring to make sure they're not misused by the average player seems silly.
That means I'd have to apply for mentor status so that I could be a silly rp job or whatever, when I have no interest in being a mentor.
I have no doubt that I could become a mentor if I wanted, but I'd be doing it for all the wrong reasons. Not to mentor people, but for the stuff I'd get.
And if more people join mentors just to get access to gimmick jobs, I can only say that would be a bad thing for the general state of mentorshipping.
Alright, good points.
Kaet Wrote:Making certain jobs or things, whatever they are, locked behind mentoring to make sure they're not misused by the average player seems silly.
That means I'd have to apply for mentor status so that I could be a silly rp job or whatever, when I have no interest in being a mentor.
I have no doubt that I could become a mentor if I wanted, but I'd be doing it for all the wrong reasons. Not to mentor people, but for the stuff I'd get.
And if more people join mentors just to get access to gimmick jobs, I can only say that would be a bad thing for the general state of mentorshipping.
I agree 100% with this. This is exactly what i was thinking of when i wrote my slightly ranty post above
I became HoS so I could get a beret, but maybe I'm a bad example.
I'm the opposite, I'm too lazy to apply for HOS/mentor because it's 2muchresponsibility4me, barret or no barret.

greyshirt4ever (assuming no other jobs are available that catch my fancy and require no effort to join)

That said mentors, and HOS's are the exact opposite of nerds and some small rewards for them wouldn't bother me.
I'm sure the matter's already resolved by now, but I think that allowing anyone to play a gimmick role is the way to go. Worst comes to worst if someone AFKs as the CEO or whathaveyou another, more competent (I use that phrase lightly) crewman can just snag the outfit/ID and do a better job. Limiting it to Mentors would, like other posters mentioned, skew the reasons behind becoming a mentor in the first place.

On an unrelated note, I thought of a SICK NEW IDEA:

Giant Slayer
Comes equipped with a fake +2 Giant-Slayer sword and some Jack and the Beanstalk garb (I'm thinking pointy shoes, maybe a jerkin and an archer hat)
Goal is to act like a smarmy jerk because the station is free of any Giant activity. Regale crewman with stories of your best Giant kill, talk down to the HoS and Captain because they've never gone toe to toe with three Giants before, and ultimately die horribly when an Assistant steals your hat and shoves you into the Loafer.

While we're on the subject, grinding bones to make bread would be a pretty cool recipe for the Kitchen staff.