Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martian Spriting Dump
I think you might want to shade some of it a bit more. Some of it looks like it belongs on Donut 1.
Xenonia Wrote:I think you might want to shade some of it a bit more. Some of it looks like it belongs on Donut 1.
*gasp
That's almost an insult
But sure, if you be more specific. Which ones?
The egg chairs and the stuff related to the biomass pool mostly. The chairs from the side/back look basically pure white and it's just a little ugly.
Right, so I've resprited the chair so it looks less donuty I think you'd agree;
[Image: PQGmVb5.png]
[Image: sllheK4.png]
[Image: dilvTwI.png]
[Image: PwfX3Xi.png]
I've resprited the statis so it matches with the floor.
Inactive;
[Image: qHfr7zw.png]
Active;
[Image: qItGsRF.png]
[Image: L7bmsah.png]
[Image: 5AUGUJl.png]
[Image: BLn8EMQ.png]
[Image: fxuJDRo.png]
[Image: yeV9bIe.png]
[Image: FfVDOfR.png]
[Image: 0T7hdfw.png]
[Image: 8txgzNp.png]
[Image: Tk8C5CS.png]
[Image: TYxwKAn.png]
I'm going to give the birthing polyp some better shading too when I get around to it.
Currently I'm figuring out how to make .gif's on photoshop, I ALMOST got it, but when I save it the transparency settings default to opaque which is really really really annoying.
Mothership damage overlay
75% (tis but a scratch)
[Image: 4zooYku.png]
overlay (you can't really see it, but it's there)
[Image: SHEmBlt.png]
50% (could use a plaster)
[Image: 6E2OzLl.png]
overlay
[Image: 5BNfWrE.png]
25% (live fast die hard)
[Image: bxmyEDL.png]
overlay (consists of 3 sprites, the fire is animated)
[Image: Oa9fpUU.png]
[Image: t39hIp4.png]
[Image: zsclw4s.png]
Hey, very nice sprites. But am I the only one who feels like they are really out of place? I cant see your ship or the flames or some of the weapons fitting our station.

Maybe its just me.
Azungar Wrote:Hey, very nice sprites. But am I the only one who feels like they are really out of place? I cant see your ship or the flames or some of the weapons fitting our station.

Maybe its just me.

Perhaps
I spawned the ship in rev 4407 (no coding, it was literally just an image) and it looks much better in the space environment. Right now the ship as you see it is zoomed out and although it looks quite nice, it is not pixelated as it should be. Remember that it is bigger than the singularity. My recommendation is open up the image and zoom in 7 times so that it starts to look pixelated. OR open one of cog's sprites for his pods, and the compare the two in size.
However, being quite honest, I'm not pleased with the fire, I want it to be more like the fire on cog's ships. I might change that around.

With regard to the weapons, many should be animated and look much more fluid. Many of them have transparency glassy effects in them, which is why they look out of place, as very few stuff on the station has this effect. I realise this, but I went ahead and did it anyway because in ways I like that they feel out of place. Why? If someone comes across an anti-sapien rifle that was recovered from a fallen martian they should be like "Woah what the FUCK does this do". The weapons are alien after all.
Here, this is the anti-sapien rifle, animated when a martian picks it up. Notice it doesn't have any transparency settings, this is because .gif doesn't recognise it. Again I recommend zooming in.
[Image: 06yFyRQ.gif]
Compare it with this unanimated one, WITH the transparency settings (try saving the image, then viewing it, you can't see the settings)
[Image: pYFvi4s.png]
Which do you prefer, transparent or un-transparent? (imagine the second image is animated)
I was quite enamored with the idea for the martian corpsebot, with the whole body horror thing going on, and this is what I came up with:

Deployable form, folds out into the active form.
[Image: martiancorpsebotdeploya.png]
Active form, should I animate the arms?
My thought is that the victim might just be strapped onto it like loading a body onto a MULE.
[Image: martiancorpsebot.png]
Alternative form, folds up when it has found a victim.
[Image: martiancorpsebotclosed.png]

As for the anti-sapiens rifle, I think the non-transparent one looks better, but the transparent one might fit the setting better, tough call.
Also, I could make a few fires for you, here's an example of how I make them:

[Image: sQFvOSo.gif]
[Image: oxsYta5.png]
[Image: nSuhZ0k.png]
[Image: Sp727Lq.png]
[Image: vIH3VSU.png]

96x96 Devourer. Can fit 3 martians, and has 4 capsules for storing prisoners. Heavily armored. Can deploy 3 32x32 Beezlebubs and does not set martians on fire at detonation, meaning that the martians can escape in the smaller pods if necessary.

[Image: cunQCgo.png]
[Image: kImsrq2.png]
[Image: 1AAnh5R.png]
[Image: GWY13Zr.png]

64x64 Abbadon. Can fit two martians and 1 prisoner. Standard armored pod.

[Image: mq1IkLH.gif]

32x32 Beezlebub (resprited cog work) Deployed by Devourer. Weak armor and weapon, but very fast.
Just sharing some WIP. Again, recommended you open in a new tab and zoom in, as they are 32x32.
Finally got my hands on some martian mob sprites, although they were rather lossy. Think of martian I'm using in this sprite as a mannequin, it'll look slightly different on the actual martian.
Also, have yet to sprite sides and back. Like I said, WIP.

First up is that Martian visor. Has a neat little animation.
[Image: 1O4BFDD.gif]
[Image: ORbPma7.gif]
Originally intended to work as a sunglasses/mason combo, but staying true to the martian idea, I think it would be cooler if it had the sunglasses/ProDoc function, so martians can check what's good for biomass etc.

Following is the Martian helmet
[Image: Rno1loC.png]
[Image: rh5Kc9G.png]
Inspiration obviously taken from mojojo. I like the glassy brainy look, it fits quite well.
This helmet absorbs that horrible head stun you'd often get, but also acts as thermals. You can see why I changed the visors, having a martian helmet + visors originally meant that you had sunglasses and essentially x-ray vision, which sounds rather OP.

Next up is the Exoskeleton.
[Image: bvAZaJu.png]
[Image: k2y5FO3.png]
Looks a little like Bane, I'm alright with that. The martian exoskeleton protects them against blows and projectiles, but also works as an active synaptazine (sp?), reducing stun time up to a half.

Finally, the Serrated Barb.
[Image: xCQWYLd.png]
[Image: 3z8Tbed.png]
Works as insulated gloves (you are alien, AI has the free will to shock doors on you!!) but also is a rather nasty hand to hand weapon if you get disarmed, slicing through flesh causing bleeding.

While previously, you looked quite cute in your little squidgy body, with the armor, no guardbuddy would want to hug you.
[Image: 6OasMmI.gif]

Now working on the other dimensions + the sprites for when martians hold the guns + baby martians!
Sundance Wrote:Just sharing some WIP. Again, recommended you open in a new tab and zoom in, as they are 32x32.
Finally got my hands on some martian mob sprites, although they were rather lossy. Think of martian I'm using in this sprite as a mannequin, it'll look slightly different on the actual martian.
Also, have yet to sprite sides and back. Like I said, WIP.

First up is that Martian visor. Has a neat little animation.
[Image: 1O4BFDD.gif]
[Image: ORbPma7.gif]
Originally intended to work as a sunglasses/mason combo, but staying true to the martian idea, I think it would be cooler if it had the sunglasses/ProDoc function, so martians can check what's good for biomass etc.

Following is the Martian helmet
[Image: Rno1loC.png]
[Image: rh5Kc9G.png]
Inspiration obviously taken from mojojo. I like the glassy brainy look, it fits quite well.
This helmet absorbs that horrible head stun you'd often get, but also acts as thermals. You can see why I changed the visors, having a martian helmet + visors originally meant that you had sunglasses and essentially x-ray vision, which sounds rather OP.

Next up is the Exoskeleton.
[Image: bvAZaJu.png]
[Image: k2y5FO3.png]
Looks a little like Bane, I'm alright with that. The martian exoskeleton protects them against blows and projectiles, but also works as an active synaptazine (sp?), reducing stun time up to a half.

Finally, the Serrated Barb.
[Image: xCQWYLd.png]
[Image: 3z8Tbed.png]
Works as insulated gloves (you are alien, AI has the free will to shock doors on you!!) but also is a rather nasty hand to hand weapon if you get disarmed, slicing through flesh causing bleeding.

While previously, you looked quite cute in your little squidgy body, with the armor, no guardbuddy would want to hug you.
[Image: 6OasMmI.gif]

Now working on the other dimensions + the sprites for when martians hold the guns + baby martians!

Baby martians.
The grenade that spawns them.
Has a 3 second timer before you can throw it.
Unarmed
[Image: 2aQOLnx.png]
Armed
[Image: XSc3lcz.gif]

It spawns little hopping micro martians (it appears there are 5, but the game would treat it as 1 critter that would require 8-10 smacks before they die) that act like micromen punching parts of the body.
[Image: TXulCIm.gif]
Sundance Wrote:[Image: TXulCIm.gif]
they look like they would be a huge pain in the ass to interact with due to their small sprite
but they're adorable frown
Nitrous Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:[Image: TXulCIm.gif]
they look like they would be a huge pain in the ass to interact with due to their small sprite

I agree. They were a bit half assed sprites too.
Here, this new one is much bigger, the movements are better and they are still adorable.
[Image: Xli2ecT.gif]