Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More roboticist constructions (brains+things=weird things!)
Quote:Any way, why not make this a option for cyborgs? Place brain vat onto cyborg frame missing it's head, to make brainborg.
No reason not to, just seems slightly redundant (as it's just going to be a borg) waste of resources (as you could just make a borg head instead) and more timely (for obvious reasons). The only pro over having a brainvat as a head would be that when your very feeble head is destroyed the brain itself is not destroyed but ejected. Actually that's quite a big pro. Obviously if the borg is caught up in an explosion or experiences very heavy damage the brain is also gibbed.

In other news. Heartbot yeahhhh. Spewing pools of blood everywhere and giving the janitor nightmares. Heart + 2 legs
[Image: Q7RHWt0.png]
[Image: UOkqod5.png]
[Image: d2CJGPS.gif]
If making skullbots do nothing but clatter eerily isn't enough, have them spout puns from this thread. C'mon, throw me a bone here.
Sundance Wrote:
Quote:Any way, why not make this a option for cyborgs? Place brain vat onto cyborg frame missing it's head, to make brainborg.
No reason not to, just seems slightly redundant (as it's just going to be a borg) waste of resources (as you could just make a borg head instead) and more timely (for obvious reasons). The only pro over having a brainvat as a head would be that when your very feeble head is destroyed the brain itself is not destroyed but ejected. Actually that's quite a big pro. Obviously if the borg is caught up in an explosion or experiences very heavy damage the brain is also gibbed.

In other news. Heartbot yeahhhh. Spewing pools of blood everywhere and giving the janitor nightmares. Heart + 2 legs
[Image: Q7RHWt0.png]
[Image: UOkqod5.png]
[Image: d2CJGPS.gif]

Also, potentially dumb idea: if you break the achey-breaky heartbot, it might blow up and kill this man (the one who broke it).
Just some of the brain-vat when attached to a person, frankinstein style. Note I sprited it so that it overlays the eyes, making them appear white and soulless
[Image: UuxFPmK.png][Image: waPavN8.png]
[Image: RkHQT8a.png][Image: kPA2505.png]
Can also work for monkey too, doesn't require any re-spriting just offset slightly
[Image: vasbKjo.png]
The critter sprite lacks the white eyes for obvious reasons.
[Image: pMfh1ap.png]
This is just a rough idea of course, but being able to put the brainvat onto critters like so
[Image: DIDAFWO.png]
[Image: UJ8Rzqj.png]
[Image: ui9XaC9.png]
(in before bee cruelty)
Sundance Wrote:Just some of the brain-vat when attached to a person, frankinstein style. Note I sprited it so that it overlays the eyes, making them appear white and soulless
Can also work for monkey too, doesn't require any re-spriting just offset slightly
This is just a rough idea of course, but being able to put the brainvat onto critters like so
(in before bee cruelty)

You FIEND! Taking away a bee's freedom like that! For shame!
Noah Buttes Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:Just some of the brain-vat when attached to a person, frankinstein style. Note I sprited it so that it overlays the eyes, making them appear white and soulless
(in before bee cruelty)

You FIEND! Taking away a bee's freedom like that! For shame!

What if it was a dead bee, I have been known to murder bees for fun.
(USER WAS STUNG FOR THIS POST)
brain-vatting animals needs to be added if only for the the best way to take down antags so that when you're brain-vatted you can recreate evil con carne
One cool benefit of the brainvat system would be that it would allow brain transplants where you don't need a cloner to revive someone.
This is hilarious and I want it in in some fashion (not just because I love Evil Con Carne) but cyborgs are already relatively cheap to make - at least they were the last time I dicked around as a roboticist, which was admittedly a while ago. Frankennerds would sort of trod on both genetics and robotics if it was easy and effective, and if it was neither then nobody would do it after the novelty wore off. Perma-retardation or dyspraxia straddles the line of too punitive or too lenient, IMO. Similarly I don't like the idea of the brain vat on top of a cyborg - it's not THAT much more costly to just make a head that doesn't explode if someone looks at it funny, and it'd really suck to be put into a body one punch away from death.

Critters and bots, though, that's a hilarious and cruel idea that's distant enough from current revivals that it'd have its own niche. The overhauls in the possession code in preparation for Wraith would mean it's much more possible to actually implement now, too, if I'm correct.

Heisenbee beeps, "WHYYYY"

PS if frankenstein revival isnt in, then those human-with-brain-jar sprites should still be used so you can carry a brain around on your head and have it sass people
Daeren Wrote:This is hilarious and I want it in in some fashion (not just because I love Evil Con Carne) but cyborgs are already relatively cheap to make - at least they were the last time I dicked around as a roboticist, which was admittedly a while ago. Frankennerds would sort of trod on both genetics and robotics if it was easy and effective, and if it was neither then nobody would do it after the novelty wore off. Perma-retardation or dyspraxia straddles the line of too punitive or too lenient, IMO. Similarly I don't like the idea of the brain vat on top of a cyborg - it's not THAT much more costly to just make a head that doesn't explode if someone looks at it funny, and it'd really suck to be put into a body one punch away from death.

Critters and bots, though, that's a hilarious and cruel idea that's distant enough from current revivals that it'd have its own niche. The overhauls in the possession code in preparation for Wraith would mean it's much more possible to actually implement now, too, if I'm correct.

PS if frankenstein revival isnt in, then those human-with-brain-jar sprites should still be used so you can carry a brain around on your head and have it sass people

They Could also be used as mobs for a new tele lab location that indulges in Old universal monster flicks.

Image Frankenerd's castle being full of them, along with vampire mobs and werewolf mobs.

Image the fun of finding Dracula's vampire outfit, and pretending you are not a antag that needs more work done on them.

Think of how many people will put on Frankenerd's lab coat and goggles, and scream. "IT'S A NERD! Oh and alive".
space lion Kirkhope beeps, "thanks robotics"
space lion Kirkhope roars!

Put brainvats on dead mobs to revive as barely functional versions of them
Talk and move, little else
Natsumehack Wrote:
Daeren Wrote:This is hilarious and I want it in in some fashion (not just because I love Evil Con Carne) but cyborgs are already relatively cheap to make - at least they were the last time I dicked around as a roboticist, which was admittedly a while ago. Frankennerds would sort of trod on both genetics and robotics if it was easy and effective, and if it was neither then nobody would do it after the novelty wore off. Perma-retardation or dyspraxia straddles the line of too punitive or too lenient, IMO. Similarly I don't like the idea of the brain vat on top of a cyborg - it's not THAT much more costly to just make a head that doesn't explode if someone looks at it funny, and it'd really suck to be put into a body one punch away from death.

They Could also be used as mobs for a new tele lab location that indulges in Old universal monster flicks.

Image Frankenerd's castle being full of them, along with vampire mobs and werewolf mobs.

Image the fun of finding Dracula's vampire outfit, and pretending you are not a antag that needs more work done on them.

Think of how many people will put on Frankenerd's lab coat and goggles, and scream. "IT'S A NERD! Oh and alive".

I totally remember that shortly before vampires were actually implemented there was totally a code somewhere for spooky vampires with capes and shit that went A-BLUH! Hell, I think it's used for their icon on the wiki now.
Quote:This is hilarious and I want it in in some fashion (not just because I love Evil Con Carne) but cyborgs are already relatively cheap to make - at least they were the last time I dicked around as a roboticist, which was admittedly a while ago.
Perhaps the roboticist should start with a few vat bases on his table (maybe the MD/RD have one each in their room too, because they are heads).
Quote:Frankennerds would sort of trod on both genetics and robotics if it was easy and effective, and if it was neither then nobody would do it after the novelty wore off. Perma-retardation or dyspraxia straddles the line of too punitive or too lenient, IMO.
I begrudgingly agree here, as I very much would've like to seen a franken-style monster created. In that case, maybe it should be more difficult to make a frankennerd as you put it, more difficult than cloning and borging, but not grossly difficult. First thing that pops to mind would be a special kind of vat (high conductive vat) that could be bought for considerable (3500 credits?) price at the weak signal?
Although I do like the idea of wearing a brainvat as a hat. Could we have both?

Quote:Similarly I don't like the idea of the brain vat on top of a cyborg - it's not THAT much more costly to just make a head that doesn't explode if someone looks at it funny, and it'd really suck to be put into a body one punch away from death.
Agreed here. It's just seems kinda redundant having a brain-vat on a borg's head.
Quote:Critters and bots, though, that's a hilarious and cruel idea that's distant enough from current revivals that it'd have its own niche. The overhauls in the possession code in preparation for Wraith would mean it's much more possible to actually implement now, too, if I'm correct.

Having it attached to a critter would be akin to possessing, although that's me talking about of my ass as I don't know what possession code would act like. I would like to think it's kinda like meatcube code, maybe with a healthbar and some extra commands in the command box depending what critter you are (such as produce honey, devour human, etc)
Also another thing worth discussing:
What should the limitations/advantages be of a brain-bot (that is, a brain-vat with wheels and an arm)?
Obviously the cons outweigh the pro's but there are some.
Pro's:
>You are immune to almost all forms of damage. No suffocating or dying in a fire, or getting shocked by the AI. You are, a brain in a vat, after all.
>You can open any door (otherwise you'd have to be holding an ID all the time)
>You are not bound to asimovs laws. You are not a cyborg, just a human brain in a vat with little wheels.
>You can't be disarmed. Anything you pick up with your one arm is now practically glued to you.
>You can be easily put back together if you are destroyed. All is needed is a glass sheet. That's presuming whoever destroyed you didn't dispose of your brain.
Con's
>You are extremely vulnerable. A few hits with a crowbar or shot with a projectile and the glass is cracked and the brain is ejected and you are dead.
>You have no storage. You can however, pick up/drop/throw items.
>You can't pull or grab aggressively/choke. Your little robotic arm just ain't strong enough. You can however grab passively and drag someone slowly.
>You can be taken hostage very easily. Someone can just stun you, remove your arm and leg with a wrench and then just pick you up.
Those sound pretty reasonable, I think. If anything would present a problem it'd be the door thing, maybe, just because it'd basically be little robotic assholes who can open any doors not bolted shut and that could potentially get iffy.