Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitness Room: An idea I did not come up with at 2 AM
What do you guys think of the idea of using the gym equipment to be able to do something other than getting yourself gruesomely killed? Like trying to use the gym equipment to be able to be a nerfed hulk kinda?
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:What do you guys think of the idea of using the gym equipment to be able to do something other than getting yourself gruesomely killed? Like trying to use the gym equipment to be able to be a nerfed hulk kinda?
Hulks are already nerfed. The only power they get is the ability to punch through walls, no bonus to punching people. If you really want to be Brute McSmasher then grab boxing gloves and pray you get something good from the stocking.
Yeah, well i'm still trying to figure out if there would be any benefits to using gym equipment properly. Like being able to open unpowered doors without crowbars? Or being able to have more health?
Move faster or take more damage before you enter critical?
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Yeah, well i'm still trying to figure out if there would be any benefits to using gym equipment properly. Like being able to open unpowered doors without crowbars? Or being able to have more health?

it should be something like different exercises give you different benefits, i.e. stuff like a treadmill lets you run a bit faster, etc.
This sounds like some weird RPG element that I feel doesn't really belong in this game. Like why WOULDN'T you go and get all your 'stats' all of the way up? Well I guess the answer would be "Well you might die!" Ok, well then why WOULD you ever use the machines?
Klayboxx Wrote:This sounds like some weird RPG element that I feel doesn't really belong in this game. Like why WOULDN'T you go and get all your 'stats' all of the way up? Well I guess the answer would be "Well you might die!" Ok, well then why WOULD you ever use the machines?

why WOULD you ever try to pull a light grenade or do any of the other dangerous things with possible rewards(like getting to throw a light grenade at someone at trick them into thinking it's safe)

i'm really not sure you're taking the actual playerbase into consideration here. they will murder themselves until time stops and protons decay for a chance to be charles atlas
Klayboxx Wrote:This sounds like some weird RPG element that I feel doesn't really belong in this game. Like why WOULDN'T you go and get all your 'stats' all of the way up? Well I guess the answer would be "Well you might die!" Ok, well then why WOULD you ever use the machines?

I don't find this idea very different from Mining honestly. It's simply working on certain machines for an X amount of time to get a reward. Like Miners spending part of their round trying to get Industrial Space Armor, and Mechanized Boots.
Gym machines should have a small chance of giving you the hulk mutation and a large chance of killing and/or maiming you.
Ok, here is my idea for the gym equipment:

Treadmill: Using the treadmill will make you walk and run faster, so you can bully nerds with ease. The treadmill may malfunction at times, flinging you back and bruising you. If someone emagged it, well there's this:

Quinton Boeggles shoelace gets caught in the tread and start sucking him in!

Quinton Boeggles manages to scream one last time as he is sucked into the treadmill and grounded into a paste!

Pull-Up Bar: Using the Pull-up bar will allow you to be able to use your superior grip to throw people with only a level one grip! The pull up bar become unhinged on one side and cause to you to collide into a nearby wall, injuring you. If you use while emagged, well:

The Pull-Up Bar collapses on Damian Garney's head!

Damian Garney's head is smashed open by the Pull-Up Bar! Holy shit!

Bench Press: Using the bench press will give the user great arm strength, allowing him open unpowered doors with his arms, and throwing lights grenades with ease! The bench press may malfunction, causing the user to fling his head up and hit the machine, injuring him. As always, it can be emagged:

The Brench Press fall apart while Conerd the 12th uses it!

Conerd the 12th suffocates as the Bar rests on his neck! Oh fuck!

Ok that's it for now :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
how much can you bench press irl frontline
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh alot? :?
I bet he can do the bar. At least.

what a muscle nerd
Bench pressing is primarily a chest exercise, not an arm exercise. Pull-ups work out the back, not your hands/grip.

You could argue that this isn't a big deal because most people have no idea how to work out. I'm not talking about just SS13, I'm talking about the entire population. Even like 80% of the people who actually go to a gym have no clue what they're working out with particular motions, or they do the motions wrong. But by the same token, design has tried to follow reality with a lot of things, with handwavium shit only substituting when it gets into serious sci-fi.

Anyway point is I'm studying for a fitness biomechanics certification so I've got enough knowledge to make a spark, though I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch.

To force open an airlock - presuming you even wanted to do that since that sounds like a huge benefit in game - you'd need triceps primarily, with biceps secondary and chest tertiary. You need true arm exercises for that. You can use a barbell or dumbbells for that, but as far as a sabotage-ready machine you'd likely want a Preacher Curl Machine (obviously with integrated weights instead of a separate barbell). Preachers work out the bicep, and reverse Preachers work out the tricep. A sufficiently poorly designed machine could be sabotaged to have the weight fail to connect during the lift. Conceivable injuries involve punching yourself in the face with a normal Preacher, or busting the shit out of your legs (or maybe groin if the machine was REALLY badly designed) on a reverse Preacher. Both could lead to stuns/KOs.

Better grip is usually a function of practical use, not focused training. There are a few things you can buy, like grippers, but they are so specialized (and small) that it's unlikely you'd ever find one in a gym. If you're trying to develop that in the gym you typically mimic the practical uses. A climbing wall comes instantly to mind as a good one for that, and it's sufficiently susceptible to sabotage to be appropriate. Just have the safety harnesses handled by an emaggable computer system.
'Coolguye Wrote:How the machines actually work.

Yeah I understand that the machines I suggested and the benefits that would correspond with them do not actually match how they work in real life. I think that those machines I brought up are pretty well known, and hopefully me or someone else can come up with some good benefits for using them.
h3half Wrote:I bet he can do the bar. At least.

what a muscle nerd

We will settle this on the playground, just pray you don't end up choking on sand while hanging for dear life on the flagpole you were hoisted up by your spiderman undies because I am that ripped.