Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distributing/Selling Explosives?
Captain_Bravo Wrote:Seriously, though. How many arguments have there been in GD which continue for pages after an admin explains exactly what's allowed and what isn't? 3? 7? Just read the goddamned post from GMD and shut up, you terrible terrible spergs.

"We don't allow it, and doing things you're not allowed to do is bannable, but this offence isn't bannable, however, we don't allow it."

Also after reading that thread, apparently the last statement I made in my first post is "VERY not allowed." What? That's just an awful admin decision, imo.
Klayboxx Wrote:What the fuck? Since when is it a bad thing to sell explosives? Since when is it a bad thing to capitalize on people doing ~evil~ things in this game? You are not blowing up the station, you are not telling people to set off the bombs, you are not directly doing anything to harm anyone. You aren't even marketing the explosives to only traitors, you're selling them to anyone who comes up to you and buys one. You're not even directly helping a traitor, you're making them pay for a service, and I thought bribing was an acceptable thing to do? Why is it ok to bribe a security guard to ignore your traitoring but it's not ok to sell a bomb to a traitor? Both are potentially harmful and against the play2win mentality, but one is totally acceptable but the other isn't? Now that being said you shouldn't get legitimately mad if you're shut down by security, but bomb selling is not be something admins should have any business regulating unless you are setting them off yourself and you're not a traitor.

Basically, saying that selling bombs is a bannable offence is saying that if you make bombs for VR testing and a guy comes in, steals one, and runs out, you should be banned for allowing that guy to get a bomb. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Gotta agree with klayboxx here.
Explosive selling is a big no-no IN-GAME. Someone selling bombs at the market will be shut-down by any security force/disgruntled player/AI (ESPECIALLY THE AI), pretty much as soon as it's set up. This is seen from experience. Most people will not tolerate bombs that can take out entire hallways being spread around the station. THAT is the sole reason setting up an explosive market is bad, because it doesn't last very long. Bad business move.

The seller however, shouldn't be frowned upon. If he blows up a bomb, then his ass needs to be banned. Blowing up a bomb is rarely accidental. If the seller sells a bomb and some non-traitor blows it up, and then blames the seller, then he's an ass and needs to be banned.

It wouldn't hurt if someone selling bombs actually used their head. A scientist/miner have legit uses for the explosive material, engineers might find use from the super heated gas, etc. It'd be pretty retarded of him selling it a clown, who will trip over his own shoes and get it stolen in two seconds flat.
Sundance Wrote:Most people will not tolerate bombs that can take out entire hallways being spread around the station.

Funny, that's not what I saw when people were growing exploding tomatoes every round and leaving them out in the open for anyone to grab.

If a traitor bribes you to let them go, it's generally the case that he's not capable of murdering the shit out of you at that moment. He might not be able to do it to much of anyone. So you can accept his money because he either hasn't gotten his shit yet or he's trying to be a cool dude and play up a gimmick.

There's very few gimmicks anyone ever does with bombs, if any at all. They exist, sure, whatever, but I can't remember any in all the years I've been playing apart from "blow shit up that kills/inconveniences everyone on the station in an assholish way that makes the game unplayable for the large chunk of the station that can't get internals that are actually worth a damn".

So the example of bribing has no bearing here whatsoever. If he was bribing you to buy a shotgun or something, that's a different story, and I don't know the legality of that in the meta context, but I'd err on saying it's a fucking stupid idea, especially as a sec officer.
Crumplehat Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:Most people will not tolerate bombs that can take out entire hallways being spread around the station.

Funny, that's not what I saw when people were growing exploding tomatoes every round and leaving them out in the open for anyone to grab.

If a traitor bribes you to let them go, it's generally the case that he's not capable of murdering the shit out of you at that moment. He might not be able to do it to much of anyone. So you can accept his money because he either hasn't gotten his shit yet or he's trying to be a cool dude and play up a gimmick.

There's very few gimmicks anyone ever does with bombs, if any at all. They exist, sure, whatever, but I can't remember any in all the years I've been playing apart from "blow shit up that kills/inconveniences everyone on the station in an assholish way that makes the game unplayable for the large chunk of the station that can't get internals that are actually worth a damn".

So the example of bribing has no bearing here whatsoever. If he was bribing you to buy a shotgun or something, that's a different story, and I don't know the legality of that in the meta context, but I'd err on saying it's a fucking stupid idea, especially as a sec officer.

Regardless, it's an IC issue. It shouldn't be left to an admins discretion whether or not someone can sell bombs, or any other dangerous thing as long as the person selling it isn't actually harming anyone. It's not against the listed rules, and shouldn't be against those magical rules admins make up as they go.

You are definitely allowed to trade anything via bribe. Cogwerks has encouraged it before, in fact.
Crumplehat Wrote:

Everything and anything in this game is entirely situational and open to interpretation unless it's strictly stated in the rules.
As a sec officer, I'd gladly accept a bribe from a bomb dealer who's got his shit organized and isn't selling to staff assistants.
On the other-hand I have no idea what you are talking about with the explosive tomatoes. Leaving explosive tomatoes out for anybody and anyone to grab is equally shitty if not more shitty (unless that's your point??) and the people who spam the explosions everywhere are also damn shitty.
Time to make some bombs
Oh god why did this out of all the other topics have to be revived. I thought we already got done with it and everyone had the answer. GMD said twice in the last topic that it's not bannable but there is no reason the people in game can't beat your ass down cause you are selling bombs. The thing that could be bannable is if bombs are being sold every round then the admins will step in. So far I haven't seen bombs being sold every round. Maybe like one or two rounds a day I see a bomb merchant.
What about selling the detonator to bombs hidden around the station?
Ali0en Wrote:What about selling the detonator to bombs hidden around the station?
Well honestly you already went to the work to setting up the bombs and stuff. I mean if you are selling bombs themselves you can at least wave off the fact that, "Oh maybe they won't use them for bad and will maybe go mining with them."(Although we know they most likely won't) but if you already hid the bombs and are just selling the detonators that means you are selling the detonators just for the purpose of someone using them cause it's not like they can find the bombs if you hid them.
To be honest, I'm seeing a lack of explosives/damage caused by explosives on the station. May just be me.
Whoops, back to reflooring all the station with erebite.
So yeah does anyone care about this anymore? Now that anyone at all can make stuff that is even worse than a tank transfer in the arc smelter does anyone really think selling explosives matters anymore?
KikiMofo Wrote:So yeah does anyone care about this anymore? Now that anyone at all can make stuff that is even worse than a tank transfer in the arc smelter does anyone really think selling explosives matters anymore?
"can i indirectly bomb the station yet?"
YJHGHTFH Wrote:
KikiMofo Wrote:So yeah does anyone care about this anymore? Now that anyone at all can make stuff that is even worse than a tank transfer in the arc smelter does anyone really think selling explosives matters anymore?
"can i indirectly bomb the station yet?"
Huh? What are you on about?
Last time I tried to intervene as sec when dumb non-traitors were selling bombs and guns I was mobbed and stripped.
Saying "Sec can handle it, it's no big deal" is the stupidest excuse to make bombs just to sell them.
Don't do it, it's a shitty waste of everyones time if every round lasts 20 minutes due to some nerd who has nothing better to do.
When in doubt, save them them for the end of the round, like the chemists have the decency to do.