Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's that time of they year when we rant about security.
I think its best if tasers stun. Confusion in how it works is only going to make it not being used in favor of other stun methods.
And I'm pretty sure you can't treat being tased as a little tickle that you can walk off.

Sure, this is a continuous stream of electricity as opposed to the orbs of electricity we get in space station, but I'd argue those are future tasers and should be just as effective.
Just please don't make Cogwerks change it again.
Quote:Sure, this is a continuous stream of electricity as opposed to the orbs of electricity we get in space station, but I'd argue those are future tasers and should be just as effective.
If you want to get scientific about it, getting hit with balls of electricity is far more likely to kill someone than a short blast of 50,000v. There are alot of things in this game that should be more effective in the future, but I can point to you 1000 things in this game that isn't. Gooncode specifically is based of a 1950's-1960's futurism. That and the added futuristic comical effect, your point is virtually moot.

Really, I stand by my suggestion over the taser. I haven't tried the taser how it is right now, but I presume it's very similar to how it was prior nerf. I agree with cogs sentiment in that the taser nerf was a bad approach (no offense cogs), but I don't agree that it should be fully reverted. Somewhere in the middle, where it isn't borderline useless when you had the nerf, and not borderline OP like are originally and you have a happy medium.

...what about draining stamina? I forget how stamina works, but isn't it when your zero stamina, your panting and wheezing and run slower? Why doesn't every taser shot drain the stamina bar by 3/4 (up-close) to 1/2 (far away). This way 2 shots from far away will reduce the person to a panting wheezy loser.
I'm not sure realism should be prioritized over gameplay in a game where you're incapable of holding things when knocked down or lying down and are completely paralyzed by bright lights. Personally, I don't think a four-shot gun that requires two shots at close range to even briefly stun someone before you need to run back to sec for a recharge is worth the inventory slot it takes to carry around, especially when the detective is carting around a six-shot gun which can use stun rounds to stun someone in one hit or lethal rounds to drop someone into crit in a couple of hits, and can haul around an entire box full of instant reloads. I'm not sure why the focus in taser work seems to be to make them as terrible and useless as possible; I feel like there's some kind of middle ground between "amplified vuvuzela levels of stun" and "maybe slows people down a little bit".
The goal isn't to make tasers horrible or to make security worthless.
Here are a few scattered thoughts:
  • Gunfights are fun
  • Gunfights are more fun when a bunch of shots are flying back and forth
  • A gunfight involving tasers should be mutually tense and exciting
  • Getting hit by one taser bolt shouldn't always be effectively a killing-blow
  • Guards should still be able to stop crimedoers in a fun fight without hating taser usage
  • Getting knocked down for half a minute by a lucky shot flying from off-screen SUCKED
  • Balance tasers against revolvers/lasers for rough parity with nuke ops
  • A while-aimed taser shot should be more effective than frantic fire
  • Lasers and bullets also have varied range falloff too
  • What if I make the power of tasers adjustable, so guards can ration the energy clip like with phasers?
Cogwerks Wrote:The goal isn't to make tasers horrible or to make security worthless.
  • Gunfights are fun

yeah but when you have only 4 shots in your gun it's not a very long fight
Alright, I'll adjust the projectile cost to let them have more shots at the tradeoff of some stun power.
Definitely more shots in the taser for less stun power is a great start. Maybe 7 (or is it 6?) so it's on par with the energy rifle? So that way the only advantage the energy rifle has is the laser setting.
Cogwerks Wrote:Alright, I'll adjust the projectile cost to let them have more shots at the tradeoff of some stun power.

You could also make tasers modular, they'd start with a 7500 power cell, a shot with the current power would be at 1875 drain (power should cap at something like 3750, with minimum at 1000). Screwdriver + crowbar to get the power cell out, slap a new one in. Self-charging tasers with cerenkite cells and stuff. Also, burst mode would fire continuously until power runs out or 8 shots have been fired, whichever comes first.
Cogwerks Wrote:Alright, I'll adjust the projectile cost to let them have more shots at the tradeoff of some stun power.

aww yeah
Marquesas Wrote:

You could also make tasers modular, they'd start with a 7500 power cell, a shot with the current power would be at 1875 drain (power should cap at something like 3750, with minimum at 1000). Screwdriver + crowbar to get the power cell out, slap a new one in. Self-charging tasers with cerenkite cells and stuff. Also, burst mode would fire continuously until power runs out or 8 shots have been fired, whichever comes first.

my one prob with this is that on top of everything else sec officers have to carry batteries would be a pain.
mozi Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:

my one prob with this is that on top of everything else sec officers have to carry batteries would be a pain.

Make a security utility belt that lets them carry flashes, taser, stun baton, and cuffs. Like a real cop.
You can put any security item short of a baton and a taser on any old utility belt or even a medical belt, means you only have two things in your bag

As for tasers-with-batteries needing ammo supplies, why would it be different to now? Recharge it as usual OR carry a spare, not one or the other
Cogwerks Wrote:The goal isn't to make tasers horrible or to make security worthless.
  • Gunfights are fun
  • A gunfight involving tasers should be mutually tense and exciting
  • Getting hit by one taser bolt shouldn't always be effectively a killing-blow
  • Guards should still be able to stop crimedoers in a fun fight without hating taser usage
  • Getting knocked down for half a minute by a lucky shot flying from off-screen SUCKED
  • Balance tasers against revolvers/lasers for rough parity with nuke ops
  • A while-aimed taser shot should be more effective than frantic fire
  • Lasers and bullets also have varied range falloff too
  • What if I make the power of tasers adjustable, so guards can ration the energy clip like with phasers?
Here are my thoughts on the taser
  • Four shots means that you are given very, VERY little margin for missing, especially when it also takes multiple shots to incapacitate someone. It also means that unless your accuracy is perfect, you can only tase one person.
  • The detective's revolver is unambiguously better than the taser. I've never actually managed to hit anyone with the stun ammo, but two hits from the lethal ammo at medium range does a whole lot more than just slowing down an unarmored target, and getting pointblanked by it is pretty disastrous even with some level of armor protection
  • Getting lasered twice at mid-to-close range is SUPER painful, way worse than having your movement screwed up a bit
  • I once got my hands on a dropped energy gun, and it was super nice being able to break up a fight without walking right in between the fighters with a very obvious easily-disarmable weapon in my hands. One shot each and bam, both idiots down for a few seconds, and I still have ammo to spare in case they get into it again after I break them up. Also nice for booting unwanted intruders out of departments without drawn-out chase scenes with a melee weapon
  • Sec's ranged options are pretty much all hot steaming garbage compared to the other major ranged weapons out there. Granted, most non-sec ranged weaponry is also lethal, but pretty much everything capable of stunning is noticeably better than sec's equivalent weapon.
mozi Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:

They wouldn't have to carry batteries, I mean if this was implemented, tasers fresh out of the lockers would not change, but officers would be given the option to exchange for a bigger battery, and have the option to carry spares. I mean if you, right now, wanted to carry spares you'd pocket another taser.

Perhaps remove the necessity of tools for power cell removal, so nothing extra would have to be carried to be able to effectively reload.
Energy guns already do contain batteries inside them, actually. aIBM says the normal power cells should be thought of as being like the size of a car battery, but there are a bunch of different types of gun batteries existing as items in the code already. Advanced laser has a self-charging one, egun has a high capacity one, etc etc. You just never see them outside of the guns themselves, but admins can easily spawn a pile of gun batteries.

Wouldn't be hard to make them ejectable and swappable though.