Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's that time of they year when we rant about security.
Tbh, I never feel like I have a target on my back as sec. Most of the time my dealings with hostile antags start with me responding to the radio. Rarely does someone try to get the drop on me. I don't know if they just expect I'm going to be extra cautious or they just want to go after the people believed to be softer targets, but I hardly get attacked head on
ive been thinking a little bit, and please hear me out.

a lot of the antags are working on powerlevels that are carryovers from the old days when a bonk on the noggin with an oxy tank could knock you out, fully blacked out, for like half a minute, during which you would be rapidly stripped down and hurled out an airlock. and they needed their high power level due to that. today's spacemen are just inherently a little wimpier. they need to land several successive blows to get a wizard knocked down, rather than pray for luck, and said wiz can sometimes keep casting from the floor.

personally, id prefer juicier improvised weapons options than nerfing antags, tho
Yeah I only really die as a security officer if someone ambushes me or they have better movement then me.

(05-07-2017, 11:45 PM)misto Wrote: personally, id prefer juicier improvised weapons options than nerfing antags, tho

Finally someone gets it.
preferably improvised weapons that dont have a base 1/10 chance of blowing your arm off and knocking you out, thus serving you up on a platter for the antags (zipgun)

preferably improvised weapons that can be carried in your backpack so you dont get every securitron and robuddy arresting your ass and thus serving you up on a platter for the antags (flamethrower)
(05-07-2017, 11:45 PM)misto Wrote: personally, id prefer juicier improvised weapons options than nerfing antags, tho
shivs, spears, clubs, 2x4s, 2x4s full of nails. there's endless possibilities for improv weaponry, but the only problem I see is balancing them. it'll be hard to find a balance for how hard they are to make and any downsides, with their damage/stam damage as well, compared to traitor items. If a stick full of nails is about as damaging as a syndicate dagger, the syndicate dagger will seem shit suddenly.

more new gametypes will fix this as well though
(05-08-2017, 01:30 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote: more new gametypes will fix this as well though

HA!
Improvised weapons can be balanced by a number of things, such as flair (looks cool but not actually that much better than a plasma shard), functionality (not great damage, but you can hide it up your sleeve, has far reach, etc), time to produce (if going down the material route), cost (if going down the the buy/sell route) or relialibity (falls apart after frequent use)

It's actually really not that hard to balance, the trick would be to make desirable. A staff assistant may want to craft/buy it, but it would pale in comparison to a traitor weapon.
is there anywhere to snatch plasma shards on cog1? i know there are plasma glass windows in medbay lobby on cog2
There's one in the debris field, but most plasmaglass in the actual station is necessary to stop terrible things from happening. If you're brave, you can break the windows into the test chamber that are plasmaglass.
(05-08-2017, 02:21 AM)misto Wrote: is there anywhere to snatch plasma shards on cog1? i know there are plasma glass windows in medbay lobby on cog2

Reason #451 why I don't play on LLJK #2 as much...

There are also some massively mixed opinions in this thread; some people want to add improvised weapons to create some sort of ad hoc lynch mob (and make the average spaceman more robust), but also complain that being ambushed by someone with an effective weapon is one of the most common ways they die...

I don't get you people.
Honestly, I say keep makeshift weapons to mostly melee-only, but give security more lethal options for fighting off nukeops or other major crises that may ensue.
Ah, Mordent. Usually I'd say that if you're the only sane man in the room, then the opposite is likely to be true -
but, this is goonstation. You may very well be the only sane man in the room. Of course, that in itself questions your sanity.

One of us.
I think that it should be a lot easier to quiet someone, but a lot harder to actually take them down, so that we actually get good fights not interrupted by someone screaming for help and the entire station descending on one dude.
(05-08-2017, 03:51 PM)awfulworldkid Wrote: I think that it should be a lot easier to quiet someone, but a lot harder to actually take them down, so that we actually get good fights not interrupted by someone screaming for help and the entire station descending on one dude.

Radio Jammers work wonders, let me tell you.
(05-07-2017, 10:15 PM)The_Rain Wrote: That honestly depends. An antag can murder fiesta through low pop fast enough before folks can catch on.

Only tangentially related to the topic, but I've been wondering if toxins might be a bit too accessible nowadays. Of the last three or four rounds I've played, almost all of them have ended up with TTVs/canbombs wiping out three-quarters of the station (followed by half the crew going 'fuck it, I'm out'). It's all well and good to go 'git gud nerd' when dealing with rampagers, but less so when it's a mad bomber.