Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP bomb cap kinda
GorillaMyDreams Wrote:Just popping in to chime that we don't allow sales of bombs or usage of them unless:

A. It's off the station.

B. You're a traitor, in which case go nuts.

For every sensible person we have ten idiots who can and will use bombs with little to no warning or provocation so please be responsible!
Hey since when was it against the rules to sell bombs? That use to be a scientist pasttime. I mean what else can a nontraitor scientist do with the bombs they made and don't say nontraitor scientists shouldn't make bombs. That's just dumb. If it's a branch of the job you should be allowed to use it. I mean isn't the whole point of SS13 the study of plasma and the toxins room in the first place?
I mean sure if you sell bombs you are damn well sure someone is going to be stupid enough to set one off but why should that matter? Just sell them without a detonator and if they add one on it it's their own fault and if they are nontraitor when they set it off just ban them. Don't blame the person that made it for the person that used it's stupidity.
KikiMofo Wrote:
GorillaMyDreams Wrote:Just popping in to chime that we don't allow sales of bombs or usage of them unless:

A. It's off the station.

B. You're a traitor, in which case go nuts.

For every sensible person we have ten idiots who can and will use bombs with little to no warning or provocation so please be responsible!
Hey since when was it against the rules to sell bombs? That use to be a scientist pasttime. I mean what else can a nontraitor scientist do with the bombs they made and don't say nontraitor scientists shouldn't make bombs. That's just dumb. If it's a branch of the job you should be allowed to use it. I mean isn't the whole point of SS13 the study of plasma and the toxins room in the first place?
I mean sure if you sell bombs you are damn well sure someone is going to be stupid enough to set one off but why should that matter? Just sell them without a detonator and if they add one on it it's their own fault and if they are nontraitor when they set it off just ban them. Don't blame the person that made it for the person that used it's stupidity.

Well, if you sell a bomb to someone knowing that they will inevitably set it off somewhere then it's pretty much the same as if you put a timer on it and left it somewhere.
Except now you're fitting an assistant to the bomb as a detonator instead.

A properly made TTB is pretty much a round-ender if someone uses it to put a hole in the right spot.
Since when did 'don't allow' mean against the rules? You're pretty snappy over someone saying 'hey don't sell bombs it's generally a bad idea.'
I think we have had many rounds where bombs were sold and no one got yelled at. Same with rounds where nontraitors have made traitor items in the mechanics place because someone got a hold of a syndie scanner and some traitor items. I haven't seen anyone ever get yelled at for it.

And Gorilla what do you mean me getting snappy? I love bombs and I love to make them. Of course I'm going to get defensive when someone wants to change what I can do with them and why wouldn't I think "Don't Allow" means against the rules when an admin is saying, "Just popping in to chime that we don't allow sales of bombs or usage of them unless". Why wouldn't I see that as a big flashing "DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE A TRAITOR". I don't want to fight about this I'm just saying what it looked like you said in my mind. I don't know about how others read it as.

Another thing, Selling dangerous stuff to people on SS13 has always been a time honored tradition. Who cares if you know they will do stuff with it. That is pretty metagamey, "Oh hey I know this guy and I know if I sell him this bomb he will set it off, I guess I better not sell the bomb." It's not your fault if the guy sets it off. That's the whole point of SS13 is you can't know what another person will do. It's what makes this game great is because of all these crazy things people do that you wouldn't expect.
Bombs are kind of a big deal because:

We've had people use them before in idiotic suicide bombings in a tryhard way to kill traitors/changelings/wizards (ESPECIALLY wizards) and they wind up missing often. And whether or not they actually do get the traitor this renders a good chunk of the station uninhabitable with possible friendly fire, broken shit, and alot of pissed off people because now they can't use whatever equipment the bomb affected because of the dick or they themselves were killed by the explosion.

Like other people said, an ill placed bomb can sort of bring a round to a halt.

Recreatable shit like laser guns are mitigatable compared to the permanent effect on bombs. Lasers are down to just one guy, and it can be fixed with first aid or cloning. Bombs can gib people and damages the station on a pretty significant scale.

Try and get creative with them, damn. it's not like selling them is the ONLY thing you can do with them as a non-traitor.
Well yeah you can do many things with a bomb but selling them is fun. Sometimes someone wants to be a blackmarket merchant and wants to sell bombs. You see now that you explained you didn't mean it was against the rules to sell bombs I have no real problem with what you say.
Basically it's just a thing that really doesn't need to be run into the ground. The same is true for anything like making eguns round after round to sell them or ordering guns from the QM round after round and having the station turn into the wild west. Bombs are pretty annoying by virtue of being bombs, and if there are people who keep selling them round after round and shit keeps exploding and people keep complaining then we're going to have to step in and do something about it; and we don't want to do that because we want to keep everything open to everyone. I understand this sounds VERY fucking hypocritical but years ago chemistry used to have alot more shit, but then people kept being pretty dumb idiots with running infinifoam and merculite into the ground and despite nerfs, warnings, and all sorts of other shit they finally had to wind up removing things because people JUST WOULD NOT STOP.

We really can't stop you from selling bombs but it's highly discouraged because of the significant amount of unfun chaos it can bring into the round.
Funny thing is I've never sold bombs but I have as a nontraitor made bombs and just left them sitting in toxins for anyone to walk and grab but as captain I have many times made more Eguns in mechanics and sold them. I use to do that alot and then I stopped cause I was running it into the ground. As much as I love wild west station I agree every round doesn't need to be that.
KikiMofo Wrote:I have as a nontraitor made bombs and just left them sitting in toxins for anyone to walk and grab

Yeah this is a thing that we DEFINITELY would not allow due to how irresponsible that is.
I've always wanted to run a demolition gimmick, where a crew of engineers/scientists blow up irradiated/useless/dead areas of the station in a controlled manner. Could I do this as a non-traitor?
Bombs have legitimate uses such as mining, and causing lag. You Opened a Can of Worms

In fact, when are we going to be able to put bombs on mousetrap roller cars? How about bombs that are "intelligent" and "sentient" to seek and destroy? This fracking show!
As an aside, we don't really give a shit if you use bombs off station.
So someone could start a "Construction crew" gimmick, where they blow another zlevel (like part of the void) up with bombs and then rebuild their own station on top of it, and that would be fine?

Someone could actually just build their own void museum then.

(assuming no accidental casualties)

Not really sure why you would want to blow up another zlevel and turn it into your own private fortress, but it would be certainly interesting to see people try.
Saintish Wrote:I've always wanted to run a demolition gimmick, where a crew of engineers/scientists blow up irradiated/useless/dead areas of the station in a controlled manner. Could I do this as a non-traitor?

You might've had an easier time of that with old bomb code, the damage radius seems to be all over the place with the new ones. Not saying it's entirely impossible but you can be FAR away from some kinds of explosions, behind several walls, and still get your limbs knocked off. So I'd suggest seriously holding off on that until all the bugs get hammered out.
Crumplehat Wrote:You might've had an easier time of that with old bomb code, the damage radius seems to be all over the place with the new ones. Not saying it's entirely impossible but you can be FAR away from some kinds of explosions, behind several walls, and still get your limbs knocked off. So I'd suggest seriously holding off on that until all the bugs get hammered out.
There is an extremely simple solution to this. Set a few bombs to go off at a designated time, place them around the z-lvl, get everyone off the z-lvl, and then wait for it to explode. Now you have a clean slate to work with!