Goonstation Forums
RIP bomb cap kinda - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: RIP bomb cap kinda (/showthread.php?tid=2381)

Pages: 1 2 3

RIP bomb cap kinda - Ali0en - 04-09-2014

Remember the 11x11 bomb cap? Well, now you can go past that kind of. Seen here is the results of my favorite mix. This mix made 5 of these in 3 minutes and 49 seconds. Anyway, here's some pics.

Standing in the epicenter of the blast. Note how it's not just a clean 11x11 hole anymore, it now is 11x11 but in several spots it goes beyond that (the sides).

[Image: ixfIUSFv2tyHC.jpg]

The left side, showing a bit of the concussion it now causes.

[Image: ibzyQ8x9o3Z1Nd.jpg]

And the right side.

[Image: iDFmTePJBkmvP.jpg]

The VR room does not simulate the station very well, but the destruction is about the same minus rwalls and some objects.

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - Sundance - 04-09-2014

Pros: Explosion shape is really nice. Walls and objects blocking off a blast is really cool. Diving behind things to minimize the damage from a blast is neat.

Cons: Nobody should ever have this amount of destructive force (5 massive bombs in ~4 minutes, enough to decimate the station) this early in the game. This was the reason the nuke was so quickly removed from the core just as fast as it was re-introduced.

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - Ali0en - 04-09-2014

I've been making bombs that quickly for a long time. Now they're just a little bit more powerful and look better.

Here's a max yield in the center of the medbay lobby.

[Image: igjHztW3qj2iB.jpg]

Here's the edges of the blast. Note how it's not clean cut anymore and looks, dare I say, realistic?

[Image: idKI7YRpQ2AXn.jpg]
[Image: ibpH4J1TXUHUhB.jpg]
[Image: ibfTMf5BLbJrls.jpg]

The bar is just one massive hole.

[Image: ibu6Y8ai3xfw5q.jpg]
[Image: iBhbSkns8phhE.jpg]

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - Weavel - 04-10-2014

Bombs are fun and this makes them more fun, good stuff

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - Sundance - 04-10-2014

Weavel Wrote:Bombs are fun and this makes them more fun, good stuff

I'm skeptical about it.

It wasn't that long ago that there was a bomb thread on the suggestion forum suggesting that bombs be nerfed in some shape or form due to the fact they are often implemented boringly and obliterate everything, which in itself can be boring. The suggestion was taken into consideration, and thus resulted in the nerf of bombs not being able to be put in back-packs, stunting the mad-bomber who wants to destroy the entire station. It was a good move, and this seems to be a bit of a roll-back.

My issue is merely the strength of the bomb blast, particularly the concussion, and the strengths of other things like microbombs. The new dynamics is really cool.

Tobba is probably reading this and thinking "welp, can't please everyone"

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - Readster - 04-10-2014

New bomb code is still very much a WiP from what I've heard, don't expect this to last forever

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - KikiMofo - 04-10-2014

I honestly have no problem with this. If I have to carry around bombs in my hand and risk being spotted with it, or get randomly disarmed or slip on something and then everyone knows I'm making bombs I think I want it to be worth it. Hell making 11x11 takes practice. About as much as a chemist needs to make things go boom. If chemists get all these crazy chems that can wreck the shit out of people why does the bombs need to be nerfed? You can only make about 6 or 7 of them per round and I doubt people are going to go get the other two tank transfers so they make the 5 in toxins. You see bomb making is a specialty traitor plan so why should it be made less fun if you are going to spend the beginning of the round cooking them?

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - Sundance - 04-10-2014

Readster Wrote:New bomb code is still very much a WiP from what I've heard, don't expect this to last forever

Pretty much. It's strange, but I finally managed to play a round today and someone let off a bomb and it honestly wasn't that bad. Maybe the test chamber isn't giving it a proper view of what the actual explosion is like, which is significantly smaller if there's a bunch of objects in the way. It certainly wasn't as big as Ali0en explosions, so maybe the objects block off more explosion now?

On an unrelated note: I had some explosive slug rounds for the shotgun. I tried to blow up a wall to escape to the shuttle, and I emptied the entire 7 slugs into it, and only managed to remove the metal plating. So yeah, oddities all round.

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - Ali0en - 04-10-2014

Sundance, I've been observing toxins for a while and it's amazing how many people overcomplicate making bombs and end up spending half a round to make a few crummy bombs. I wouldn't doubt that they got a worse mix. I'll test explosions again today.

Oh and I was thinking about making a bomb guide but I dunno. Chem was given public info so maybe.

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - KikiMofo - 04-10-2014

Ali0en Wrote:Sundance, I've been observing toxins for a while and it's amazing how many people overcomplicate making bombs and end up spending half a round to make a few crummy bombs. I wouldn't doubt that they got a worse mix. I'll test explosions again today.

Oh and I was thinking about making a bomb guide but I dunno. Chem was given public info so maybe.
I think bombs are more dangerous than the released chems. There is already a bomb making guide on the wiki that tells you the basics and the rest is just practice and learning how to make them well.

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - atomic1fire - 04-10-2014

I think the released chems + beaker + igniter + radio is much easier to make as far as destructiveness goes. You just need to have chemistry access or access to bar without the scientists or barman getting grumpy at you.

Granted the bulk of chemistry bombs I've made are all gimmick bombs

Like I've tried building a carpet bomb but didn't have carpet. (would have been the perfect clown prank though, carpet bomb a part of the station. Covering it with carpet)

Beer bomb is always good fun as a barman, provided you don't go overboard. Just throw a bunch of alcohol and stablized smoke powder together, then rig it to go off by radio. Everyone in the radius now is drunk.

You could do some other not very destructive things, like cheese bombs and chocolate bombs (that one might cause diabetes)

Pretty much any scientist or crewmen who makes space lube bombs are the worst though.

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - KikiMofo - 04-11-2014

atomic1fire Wrote:I think the released chems + beaker + igniter + radio is much easier to make as far as destructiveness goes. You just need to have chemistry access or access to bar without the scientists or barman getting grumpy at you.

Granted the bulk of chemistry bombs I've made are all gimmick bombs

Like I've tried building a carpet bomb but didn't have carpet. (would have been the perfect clown prank though, carpet bomb a part of the station. Covering it with carpet)

Beer bomb is always good fun as a barman, provided you don't go overboard. Just throw a bunch of alcohol and stablized smoke powder together, then rig it to go off by radio. Everyone in the radius now is drunk.

You could do some other not very destructive things, like cheese bombs and chocolate bombs (that one might cause diabetes)

Pretty much any scientist or crewmen who makes space lube bombs are the worst though.
Well yeah if that's already dangerous as it is why should bombs be any less so? Also the thing is bombs are blocked by walls and shit now so that damage in the VR wouldn't really translate to a real corridor with walls and doors and other stuff in the way.

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - Mxykikker - 04-12-2014

[Image: Dt44Nus.png]

So what was this about the new bomb cap being slightly above 11x11?

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - GorillaMyDreams - 04-12-2014

Just popping in to chime that we don't allow sales of bombs or usage of them unless:

A. It's off the station.

B. You're a traitor, in which case go nuts.

For every sensible person we have ten idiots who can and will use bombs with little to no warning or provocation so please be responsible!

Re: RIP bomb cap kinda - Ali0en - 04-13-2014

Yep, other night I made 5 bombs for fun. Captains comes in, grabs one, and then detonates all of medbay. It was nuke and the syndies hadn't even arrived yet.