Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cogmap 2: *** UPDATE TO BYOND 509 ASAP ***
I think any change to security should be balanced around the assumption that there are no officers, because there aren't on 90% of rounds.
It's been hard getting used to the new kitchen setup, it seems to be made for more cooks (Too many, in my opinion).

Obviously that comes with time, but if there was one change I would make to the kitchen it would be to reduce to one sink and move it so its easier to make dough from flour.
See my expertly doctored picture.
[Image: 7Vm2LAI.png]

I also find it strange that the barman and chef share a room. There's that large, mostly unused storage area above the kitchen with lots of empty space. Surely there's room to give both of them their own room if it was remodeled?
Can mining get an exclusive arc smelter once more? The nearest one is still a bit of a walk, and there's enough space near the magnet to squeeze one in without affecting the belts too much.

Also, the QM/mining pods are kind of far from mining and you have to go a long way around. There might not be a way to move that dock without affecting the belt, but a simple fix would be to have a door open to space in the nearby room so miners can jet over to it quickly from space.
Coulda swore I posted this somewhere, but I'll repost. Research really needs a larger, more fortified test area like it had on cogmap 1. People are testing their dangerous stuff in normal rooms. That test room drastically reduces the number of casualties in science.
Yeah, what happened to the off-station testing room? It seemed like a great idea, but it was never added.
This may or may not be already fixed (since I last encountered it a few days ago) but Engineers cannot access the room where firefighting equipment is kept from outside engineering, although they can from the refrigeration room. Can't access the maintenance door out of that room either.

Also what is up with the engine? Has anyone managed to get a decent output reliably? Using the old method of 66-33 O2-Plasma burn with open vents, 2 cans of plasma in cold loop and a small tank/one valve opening's worth of plasma in hot loop produces minimal power. Tweaking hot loop:cold loop pressures has yet to produce any good results.

And yes, I am 100% certain I did everything correctly assuming the Cog1 way of setting up the engine is still correct (adapted for Cog2 of course). No missed valves, nothing.
Okay so the bug is still there and more pressure tweaking (tried low hot high cold, vice versa, equal, whatever you can think of) does nothing. Sometimes the power improves slightly but then drops back to low within seconds.
Embolism Wrote:Has anyone managed to get a decent output reliably? Using the old method of 66-33 O2-Plasma burn with open vents, 2 cans of plasma in cold loop and a small tank/one valve opening's worth of plasma in hot loop produces minimal power. Tweaking hot loop:cold loop pressures has yet to produce any good results.

Yep, you just gotta experiment. As long as you keep the combustion chamber flowing you can easily attain 100GW levels and higher and have the engine be stable. Though you do need to vent EVERYWHERE around the engine.
zewaka Wrote:
Embolism Wrote:Has anyone managed to get a decent output reliably? Using the old method of 66-33 O2-Plasma burn with open vents, 2 cans of plasma in cold loop and a small tank/one valve opening's worth of plasma in hot loop produces minimal power. Tweaking hot loop:cold loop pressures has yet to produce any good results.

Yep, you just gotta experiment. As long as you keep the combustion chamber flowing you can easily attain 100GW levels and higher and have the engine be stable. Though you do need to vent EVERYWHERE around the engine.

Is this from experience with Cog2 or just past anecdotes from Cog1? Sorry, gotta ask because people keep giving me advice when it turns out they've never tried Cog2's engine.
So it appears like the key to any kind of power output on Cog2 is to use Aux ports. Doesn't seem to really matter how you use them so long as they're used (I'm sure there's a RIGHT way but so far I haven't yet gleaned the logic of it). I guess the way they instantly equalise tank and pipe pressure does something weird.

Managed to be 10 MW for a good bit this round, except it made no sense because in both hot and cold loops the pressures coming out were much greater than the pressures going in, which would imply that the both loops are running backwards.
Cog1's engine used a bug in the atmos system to function, while Cog2's engine supposedly functions as was originally intended. That's why no old methods work, however it seems that conceptual methods, which should work now, along with old non-hell burn methods, utterly fail now at making the engine work.
Except that if the bug in question was fixed, it would also have been fixed in Destiny. The problem lies entirely in the design of the combustion chamber. Adding the biodome's special gas or modifying the size and shape of said combustion chamber should bring it back to Cog1 levels of hellburn. Someone may have figured out the mods required, but I haven't yet.
Somebody mentioned it but:

[Image: 589ed59ed1.jpg]

Those two doors can't be accessed by engineers. Also, the power monitor there isn't hooked up.

Given it's size and ability to handle pressure, this engine could certainly handle fire-in-pipe setups. The problem is, naturally, co2 buildup. Adding some form of co2 scrubbing, which didn't rely on telsci, would certainly help. Even then though, as things are now, I'd imagine you'd still have to babysit the engine all round. This makes power gloves a lot less useful and means you'd have a real hard time spending your PTL gains.

I agree that the bug was pretty dumb. Especially in the old station where the heat could kill people all the way down to the escape shuttle. If the infinite heat gain was fixed then I don't really have a problem, even if I loved fiddling with it. The major problem comes from the systems that were balanced around or relied upon that bug to work. The PTL, Powergloves, Canbombs, etc.

For now I'll probably just throw two in the lower aux ports and fire up the furnaces. That still works, kinda. I've gotten anywhere from ~1mw to ~3mw doing that. It seems to yoyo a lot.
Even the CE can't access those two doors.

For intrapipe burns I've tried opening the purge valves (at the same time as injecting O2-Plasma mix) but that doesn't seem to reverse or even slow down CO2 buildup at all, even when I set purge pumps to 5. But that's all moot because the best way to gas the engine is to hook everything up to aux ports and ignore anything with pumps.
You can still get ridiculous hellburns. Even with a badly balanced engine I managed to get 500+TW thanks to a 90 minute round. I'll be honest, I'm pretty happy that it's still possible -- but I'll roll with whatever happens.

The cold loop is double-extra robust now. It can hold up a lot longer thanks to it's length and naturally lower pressure. Add in the pressure tank and freezer and it holds up for maybe too long depending on what yer doin. The hot loop is a lot more robust too. There's a yo-yo effect with the pressure tank open, but that's par for the course. One thing that kinda shocked me is the smooth transition between burn-fuel tanks; I barely lost any output. Granted, in a normal round you won't really have the chance for two tanks, but it's really nice when you do. I used to lose tons of output (over 50%), so only losing ~5% is kinda shocking.

I'd say this engine actually has the capacity to get even higher hellburns than cog1 with less nuisance to the station, given you can go around without braving a catwalk. It's just a puzzle that needs to be figured out.