Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cogmap 2: *** UPDATE TO BYOND 509 ASAP ***
KikiMofo Wrote:
QP Evergrande Wrote:It looks like you placed the cloner in the hardest place to bomb, given genetics' current position. I don't know if that specifically was your intention, but I applaud it.

Na man. You see, to us experienced bombers you can see a very large and easy way to bomb the cloner. I'll give you a hint. It's green and possibly leafy.

I never said it was difficult to bomb, just that it was in the most difficult place to bomb. And there's an even easier way to destroy it than hiding in the bushes. Use the morgue chute in the hallway. About 10 units of erebite should do it.
More work on the medsci area:

http://i.imgur.com/smQnWjE.png
Finally a public access point to chemistry.
Cogwerks Wrote:More work on the medsci area:

Wouldn't it be better if pathology and genetics both shared the monkey pen? In the event that pathology ever returns, every shift will and should lead to a fight over monkeys. It looks like you could change its place with the cryos and cram it up against the pen without sacrificing much of the MD's office and bedroom.
as a geneticist I barely use the monkeys. Granted I'm rarely a geneticist.

I'll use 2 or three at the most.

I can't see there being some big fight over the monkey pen, especially if they put in a monkey vendor. 10-20 monkeys should be more then enough to handle an hour round, especially if all the geneticist has to do is scan the monkeys with their pda and then leave one in the genetics scanner for research and dna modifying.

I really can't see Pathology using that many monkeys either, but pathology is still being worked on and there's not really any clear info on that yet.
Monkeys are a big deal if you're a geneticist. You scan them all and initiate research on all their latent mutations. The more the better. It gets you powers and fun tech faster. You really don't want someone stealing the monkeys, and you especially wouldn't like it if some clown gave them all diseases that meant you couldn't handle them any more, cause those monkeys might have had something cool.

Old pathology needed one or two monkeys at most, but that could be enough to sustain a healthy grudge between medbay departments.
No let them share monkeys. We need more fights between workplaces. I say somehow make toxins and engineering share toxin canisters. >smile
Just a few little suggestions. The door into the robotics storage room might be better placed on the south side, so that it opens into that nice unused space instead of between the charging stations and that supply table.

The RD's office got an upgrade, it seems. The current one is 3x4. If you shrunk it down to that size, you could have a through corridor to the monkey pen, in case pathologists actually needed to grab one. The current route between pathology and monkeys is a little circuitous.

What's that space in the front of medbay going to be used for? If there's no plans for it, you could move the cryos up there, and expand pathology into some of the space they currently occupy. The pathology lab on the current station is significantly larger than that one.
One of my concerns at the moment is figuring out ways to keep fights interesting inside enclosed areas. Cryo could probably go up there - I'm torn between having it visible for more use or having in in a quiet corner that's good for hiding. I've been reshaping a bunch of departments to try and have access doors placed in a way that still encourages fighting and chases.
Well then, how about something like this?

[Image: NLRuo7w.png]

In this design, medbay has a back exit flanked by bushes. A quick-footed traitor could open that door, then hide in a bush. If a pursuer is too slow to see you hide, they'll likely spot the door as it closes, and assume you've left. Then, in the brief moment where they have to wait for the door to open again, you nail them with a sleepypen, or what have you.
Cogwerks Wrote:More work on the medsci area:

Aw, You hate me. You removed the bush. I love bushes cause they are the best place to plant bombs.
QP Evergrande Wrote:Well then, how about something like this?

[Image: NLRuo7w.png]

In this design, medbay has a back exit flanked by bushes. A quick-footed traitor could open that door, then hide in a bush. If a pursuer is too slow to see you hide, they'll likely spot the door as it closes, and assume you've left. Then, in the brief moment where they have to wait for the door to open again, you nail them with a sleepypen, or what have you.
That's a mean choke-point leading to the monkey pens.
I think pathology's slowly creeping up on cogblap.

I walked in as a Med Director today and noticed one of the machines actually does something, and proceeded to accidentally cover everything with a beaker of blood trying to get it to work to save the crew from that cold virus going around. yay accidental contamination and corporate lawsuits!

Medical director's job is to keep everyone on their toes, probably.

Also I think if QP Evergrande's wall of text suggestion to combine elements of pathology, genetics, and botany by sharing the same system with different effects was ever implemented, that might give the Geneticist and Doctors ample reason to play nice and share monkeys and work. Although that was suggested probably way after path was being revamped. but the botanist might get the short end of the research straw unless they send pda messages and mail chute papers.

Anyway in terms of fights, I think the fact that the station is now an enormous square race track (bar is obviously the start and finish line) means segway chases are a lot more interesting.

Look at each of the main hallways and air bridges and don't tell me cogwerks didn't intend for security to chase the clown car on segway.

Also I noticed at goonhub that there's a few more "seedy" areas that should look a lot more fun, especially as ling. Ambush and find the closest space door to hide the bodies.
DyssalC Wrote:That's a mean choke-point leading to the monkey pens.

Not really. Genetics is accessed through the front, and only the pathologists will need to get to the monkeys from that way. Anyway trying to kill them would be better off attacking from the maintenance corridor. There shouldn't be too much traffic in that area.
Pathology was meant to return on cogmap1. I wrote up a huge proposal for it and sprited a bunch of new machines and put a placeholder area in for it. Marquesas coded up a framework for it in the public 4407 release, it turned out to be a gigantic amount of code and everyone on the active coding team got overwhelmed trying to port it over so it stayed in limbo for way too long.

Marq is an official coder now, so pathology is back on! It's way the fuck easier to have the person who actually wrote all of it deal with porting it into current code.

QP: That is a very elegant looking solution, I like that. Your design skills are improving a lot!