Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Medical Assistant kind of sucks for learning Medical
Medical Assistant in my opinion is the worst of the three (Engineering, Science and Medical Assistants - Security Assistants I consider seperate from those three due to having a more established 'place' as a job and not just a Learners) Department Assistant/Learning roles. It doesn't have medical equipment access. They don't start with menders, defibs or a belt - meaning they take the less common of medbays resources as well. They're at the mercy of needing a doctor to give them stuff and while that usually happens they won't always be avaliable. It just... doesn't have the tools it needs to figure out the job. Technical Assistant or whatever it's called can't do the Engine but at least they can actually mess around with construction, Research Assistant can do Chemistry and Toxins just fine, only missing out on Artifact Lab.

I think Medical Assistant should get Medical Equipment access so they can use the vending machines and medkit lockers, maybe they won't have full menders sure but at least then they could print them or use patches and chemicals without having to rely on others. I imagine the intention is to make them seek out someone to teach them but if they aren't going to or are too shy too, no mechanic will convince them to do so - only other players, and they might not exist, might not realise or just won't bother (as annoying as it is to see it happen, it happens).
This something i have never really thought about before but, I also don't think i have ever played as medical assistant. I don't think anyone on Goon 1 Would even pick that job unless they are bored, I definitely agree though. Especially for The RP servers this seems strange. +1
I have a PR up to make the Assistant jobs mainstay for newbees by limiting them to people who have not played a lot yet, which I think is a good change as it makes newbees more recognizable ingame and avoids veterans picking assistant jobs when the real jobs are filled and then just play it as if they weren't assistants.

Admins seem favorable to giving them more access if they are limited to new players.

Thread:
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=22810

PR:
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/19165