Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Change Technical, Research and Medical Assistants from special to roun...
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[Respawning] [Balance]

About the PR
Moves `/datum/job/special/technical_assistant` to `/datum/job/engineering/engineer/assistant`
Moves `/datum/job/special/research_assistant` to `/datum/job/research/scientist/assistant`
Moves `/datum/job/special/medical_assistant` to `/datum/job/research/medical_doctor/assistant`

They mostly spawn the same, I ensured that they don't get any job-defining things (insulated gloves, gas masks), but instead spawn with pocket guides etc. that way they will have to approach a senior to obtain these things which furthers understanding of the role.

Additional changes:

`rounds_allowed_to_play` to determine max allowed of rounds on record to queue as the job.
`proc/has_rounds_needed` now checks for `rounds_allowed_to_play` as well

`jobs.dm` got new defines for pre-set variables that existed, this seemed cleaner to me:
`ROUNDS_MIN_CAPTAIN`, `ROUNDS_MIN_SECURITY`, `ROUNDS_MIN_DETECTIVE`, `ROUNDS_MIN_SECASS`
`ROUNDS_MAX_RESASS`, `ROUNDS_MAX_MEDASS`, `ROUNDS_MAX_TECHASS`

All newbee requirements have been set to 30 rounds across the board for parity, including `NEWBEE_ROUNDS`, but can still be tweaked if desired.

The new jobs have a `rounds_allowed_to_play` cap of 75.

Why's this needed?
Assistant jobs are a really good way for new players to hop into the game, they're a lot less scary with a lot less responsibility, and they typically are a good way to indicate to experienced players to try and be extra helpful when they see an assistant. Unfortunately, these jobs are relegated to special jobs, and as such aren't available at round start, and not even available every round in general, when the equivalent for Security seems to pose no such hindrance.

I think this will both make it easier for newbees to try out new jobs, and make it generally easier for people to become an assistant when they don't know that these jobs are gated behind latejoining.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Glamurio (Ryou)
(*)Technical, Research and Medical Assistants are now properly part of their respective departments.
(*)The specialized assistants can be played until you have played 75 rounds total. Staff assistants are unchanged.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I think this change makes a lot of sense, and ensures parity between the various assistant roles. Plus, anything that screams "pick me to learn about X, without much pressure" to me is a good change for newbees to learn more mechanically rigorous departments without the full pressure of being a fully committed member of those departments.

Another change I'd like to see come out of this is maybe additional access for these assistant roles, since not being able to get medicine from the NanoMed as a medical assistant feels a bit odd, but that's out of scope.  space bear
i remember when the (x) assistants were round-start jobs. anyway, sure, the latejoin special menu is getting kinda cluttered so it makes sense
This period has many new assistance who want to learn and have no idea about what doctor do pretty much. This will allow them to decide become med assistance at first instead of doctor.by the way make more role job at start is more fun.
Maybe take a look at department assistants starting kits and access ? Most of them have no access to sub-departments rooms and start with almost not tools for the job they are supposed to assist. I understand not wanting to turn assistant slots into free extra job slot but I feel they could use a bit of QoL to be on part with security assistants.
(06-10-2024, 11:52 PM)Decarcassor Wrote: Maybe take a look at department assistants starting kits and access ? Most of them have no access to sub-departments rooms and start with almost not tools for the job they are supposed to assist. I understand not wanting to turn assistant slots into free extra job slot but I feel they could use a bit of QoL to be on part with security assistants.

This is actually a good point. People have been wanting Assistants to be locked to new players. If we lock them to new players, giving them full department access wouldn't be so bad.
I support locking them to new players (doesn’t have to be a super low number, something like 50 or 75 rounds played would be fine) and giving them full / regular department access.
PR has been updated to reflect that, the new jobs now gain regular access and have a round limit of 75 as you suggested.
In support of this, especially with the round limit. Much easier to identify newer players who are wanting to learn the job.