Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GoonStation Diaries
BillyMays Wrote:If we didn't have to talk I would totally be in, but im too poor to afford a mic (aka too lazy to get one)
The USB microphone that comes with DefJam Rapstar is actually really good quality if you can get it to stand upright and that game sells for 10 bucks if you can find it.
ha, I was wondering where the thread went, I scrolled down for ages and thought that it was deleted, so hey thank ye gods for stickying this.
Pressure is on to get this done now. Haven't even got my laptop yet. cool
But I do have a fair idea on what to do, I've done video sampling before, so it shouldn't be do hard. Cropping, adding music, zoom, text on screen, video speed, etc. I've done a bit of animating with .gifs, so i'm going to try my hand at a funky intro. Something like the captain going through character profiles in the telecoms room, he brings up the DWAINE screen, i'll replace the text with the 3 characters, their 32x32 front sprite in little profiles on the screen. The Captain scrolls through each profile, bringing up what job they are playing (and if they had antagonist, i'll put a yellow ! beside the profile). I MIGHT even get a clip of your feed and put it up on the screen, depending on the difficulty. The captain saves the stuff on a disk and flys off in a miniputt. The video cuts to him being attacked and blown to shreds by drones. I'll fade in the title screen (SS13, Goonstation Diaries), amongst the gibbed debree, along with a honkytonk piano playing in the background. I'll get all that footage just playing as a generic default appearance captain, just give my disk, and main ID to the hop/hos and just play it out, fly into the wreckage field and get wrecked.
Sound good? All of my 15 minutes of thinking went into it so.. embarrasment

Anyway, My webcam has a really good mic, so i'm just gonna use that.
As far as recording the desktop goes, I haven't used that software yet, but this: http://camstudio.org/ looks good. I'd rather if everyone had the same quality (to a degree of course) of feed, one thing I can't do is fiddle with the quality of your feed. So that would be neat.
I don't have steam or skype, but i'll set up a skype account soon enough.
This sounds fun. If I get my computer fixed, and figure out that recording stuff, I'd gladly oblige you with some perspective.
This is a cool idea that I have thought about in the past, I will be waiting to see how it turns out!

Also, I reccomend OBS instead of camstudio, it was pretty buggy in my experience.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:This is a cool idea that I have thought about in the past, I will be waiting to see how it turns out!

Also, I reccomend OBS instead of camstudio, it was pretty buggy in my experience.
Yes OBS is very good but it's not something for people that are new at recording or streaming to use. It takes alittle messing around with.
Speaking of recording software, would it be ok for me to use the free version of fraps?
KikiMofo Wrote:
MyBlueCorners Wrote:This is a cool idea that I have thought about in the past, I will be waiting to see how it turns out!

Yes OBS is very good but it's not something for people that are new at recording or streaming to use. It takes alittle messing around with.
I used obs despite never having used any sort of recording software before. I looked up a YouTube tutorial that was about 5 minutes long and got it all working.

Here's that tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyDbzYI ... ata_player
*note: in the tutorial, he recommends that you use window capture. However, since ss13 has multiple windows, I recommend monitor capture instead.
Lavastage Wrote:Speaking of recording software, would it be ok for me to use the free version of fraps?
Nevermind, I just changed to OBS.

Someone mind telling me where to send my file output for my recordings to?
Lavastage Wrote:
Lavastage Wrote:Speaking of recording software, would it be ok for me to use the free version of fraps?
Nevermind, I just changed to OBS.

Someone mind telling me where to send my file output for my recordings to?
send the file output to any folder you want. It saves as a ready-2-go mp4 file. We'll probably be sending those files to sundance via dropbox after we're done.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:send the file output to any folder you want. It saves as a ready-2-go mp4 file. We'll probably be sending those files to sundance via dropbox after we're done.

See, the problem is, it wont let me choose a folder. I hit save several times and it just wont work, no idea why.
Lavastage Wrote:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:send the file output to any folder you want. It saves as a ready-2-go mp4 file. We'll probably be sending those files to sundance via dropbox after we're done.

See, the problem is, it wont let me choose a folder. I hit save several times and it just wont work, no idea why.
1) Go to Settings->Settings
2) Go to Broadcast Settings
3) Select Mode: File Output Only
4) Next to filepath, hit "Browse"
5) Navigate to the folder you want and type "[name]", then save

This will save all recordings as [name].mp4, [name](1).mp4, [name](2).mp4, etc.

Does that help?
UrsulaMejor Wrote:5) Navigate to the folder you want and type "[name]", then save

This will save all recordings as [name].mp4, [name](1).mp4, [name](2).mp4, etc.

Does that help?
Im dumb, that fixes everything.
I thought for sure I posted here last night: I recorded a few rounds from last night, Correctional Object 36 and Secret Memorial Installation 1. Anyone want the unedited recordings? I tried to record the Solarium round, but the audio was screwed up.
Wydamn Wrote:I thought for sure I posted here last night: I recorded a few rounds from last night, Correctional Object 36 and Secret Memorial Installation 1. Anyone want the unedited recordings? I tried to record the Solarium round, but the audio was screwed up.

To clarify: The idea behind this "project" is that everyone records the same round, and each episode is 20 minutes long starring 3 pov's.
Recording time altogether is about 3 rounds, that's potentially 3 hours recording time, each. So the chance to be meta when there's that much feed from that many players is pretty zilch, especially when i'll be potentially only be using 10-20 minutes (depending if I chose you to be in 2 episodes or not) of feed per player.
The beauty behind this is that it's pretty casual; you don't have to turn up for the first round to start recording, and you don't have to stay for 3 rounds either, just once you record at least 1 round from the beginning of that round. It sounds pretty complicated, but it all makes perfect logical sense in my head so that's all that matters right? embarrasment

So yeah unedited recording separate to the event isn't much use when I need 2 other feed from other players. I'm not looking for any kind of edited recordings either, just pure raw unedited data of your feed in the round, which I will edit myself to the final product.

A few obvious and not so obvious house-rules:
-->No metagaming of any sort. No intercommunication when the round starts (Pre-round is fine, again obviously), this will be pretty impossible to do anyway, seen as i'll be looking and listening to your feed when you send it to me.

-->Pre-round organisation with other recorders of an activity, such as exploring telescience, or building a room, I will consider metagaming (even though it isn't to an extent), and will not include it in the video. I want the round to flow and pan out naturally, if you know what i'm saying. That said, IN-GAME organisation, such as announcing and organizing an expedition over the telecomms/pda/p2p is totally fine and why wouldn't it be.

-->Record each round separately, and name the file-name something easy, like SUNDANCE_2 (sundance's second round feed) so I won't be shitting myself when editing.

-->Please send me a separate file, it can be a shitty little .txt file or w/e, just stating the highlights of the round, at given time. For example at 11:45, you got into a in-depth verbal argument with the clown, at 42:23, you deepfried shitty bill in grog and forcefed it to the clown, etc. Again this would make my life alot easier, and shouldn't be too hard to do on your part.

-->You may include some suggestions in the above .txt file, like [INSERT LAUGH TRACK HERE] and stuff.

-->Please consider the quality or how tolerable your voice is. Is it nasally and drone-like, sounding like there's even acne in your throat? Please consider talking less. Do you have literally no humor-bone in your body? Consider cracking less jokes.
Also consider your accent, having a video where you have a bold, irish, toilet mouth like me (every second word is a curse-word), this is something I like. Not my accent as such, but a variety of accents and humor will make for some serious side-commentary. Side commetary is what i'm looking for really. Again if you wish to narrate, consider the above, and if you tick the right boxes, then go ahead young padawan.