Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Goonstation Statistics: Jobs/Traits/Races
Lightbulb 
Goonstation Statistics

Hello, hello! Have you ever wondered how many people play Medical, Security, or Science? Or how many have a specific trait? Well, after manually sampling 439 unique characters for a total of 642 samples, @Showerless and I have obtained results that will be presented in this forum post and a google sheet.

Method
The sampling was conducted in a relatively straightforward but labour-intensive manner. We joined active games as spectators and then proceeded to inspect every individual. Subsequently, we recorded their jobs, traits, and races using a Google Form, which automatically transferred the entries into the Google Sheet.
Sampling times were mostly random, although due to both of us living in Europe, a significant portion of samples was collected around 16:30 GMT. It's important to note that while this timeframe encompasses a large portion of the player base, Goonstation players are predominantly American* so the sampling times may have missed a portion of the player base. Silllycons were not included in this, unfortunately. All sampling was done on Roleplay 3. So these statistics are in no way conclusive for classic.

Below are graphs to visualize when sampling was done. The left one shows the days when samples were taken. The right shows the distribution of samples for each minute of the day.

[Image: pubchart?oid=981837959&format=image]              [Image: pubchart?oid=559507579&format=image]

Results

The statistics includeds jobs, traits, and, as an extension of traits, races. For a more comprehensive and user-friendly view of these results, along with the ability to filter for specific combinations, please refer to the main Google Sheet linked below.

SS13 Job/Trait Statistics

The rest of this post will contain an overview of the results and discussion/conclusions.

Traits

Below are the results for all the traits that were spotted during this study. Traits also facilitated the analysis of race percentages. The distribution of races is also presented below. 

[Image: pubchart?oid=310737819&format=image]

Here is a full diagram of all the traits, in order of how common they are.

[Image: Trait-Samples.png]

Jobs
Here is the department distribution alongside job distribution for all races. This shows what percentage of players are in what department and have a certain trait. If you want to check the statistics on other races use the main sheet and filter for it with the buttons on top.

[Image: Department-Division.png]
[Image: Job-Samples.png]

Discussion

It was unexpected that humans would comprise such a large part of the player base. While it was assumed they would make up a significant portion, the actual percentage of 78.4% is a bit surprising. Its important to know that due to our medium-sized sample of the population (642), any race beyond reptilian has such a small number of samples that it is susceptible to changes easily. For instance, Bovine only had 3 characters, which is nowhere near enough to conclude. Therefore, human, reptilian, and perhaps skeleton have the most reliable stats. When considering the traits, job-related traits have been excluded as they are better covered by job statistics. Such as medical training, or security training. 
Since these statistics were taken only from roleplay it is hard to tell how well they reflect the classic playerbase. While some aspects, like the prevalence of staff assistants, may still hold, others, such as the frequency of security officers, may differ. So future statistic gathering should be done on classic so that a comparison could be made between the two. Otherwise, I managed to piece together some interesting information presented below. If there is anything else you'd like for me to compare feel free to ask.

So here are some interesting tidbits:
  • The average amount of traits is 3.8
  • The most common trait turns out to be Survivalist, with Unionized being the second most common.
  • The dialects along with debilitating traits are the least used ones. 
  • And I am sorry to reveal the truth... but 42% of reptilians are bald.
  • Do to unionized. NT has to pay 11.92% more in wages than they would have otherwise.
  • The least frequent neutral trait (0 points) is Picky Eater. While the most frequent is mildly mutated
  • The least frequent positive trait (>0 points) is BEEst friend (excluding races). While the most frequent is survivalist.
  • The least frequent negative trait (<0 points) is Two left feet. While the most frequent is Human Torch.
  • Reptilians are 7.5% more likely to play medical.
  • The most common job was scientist, though take into account that its the only job besides RD in research. Similar with sec officer.
  • The least common job is Medical assistant. Though that was included without the knowledge of it being a gimmick job. So the least non-gimmick common job is NTSC.
  • Most common civilian job is Staff Assistant. With Rancher being the rarest.
  • Somehow Head of Personnel is the most frequent command job. Which is odd since Captain is guaranteed every shift.
As a test, I've created the most generic and least generic characters below

The most generic character possible:
Be a human
Have the traits: Survivalist, Human Torch, Unionized and Cat eyes
Be named Dan Smith (most common names in the sample)
Work as a scientist

The least generic character possible:

Be a bovine
Have the traits: Scottish, Kleptomaniac, Deaf, Picky Eater and Scared Shitless. 
Work as a NTSC

Last words

I had hoped to include data on average age and antagonist percentage, but I wanted to finish this decade so I might add them later. Doing something similar for classic could be interesting as well. The sheet is public so if you want to do some own testing you can download it yourself. Making this was a time-consuming process, so I hope you find it enjoyable and potentially useful. Special thanks go to Showerless, with a little help from Piesuu, for their contributions to this project.  Sleeping bee
Well, you could've just PRd logging for this data with API 2 and automatically recorded all of this...
(03-05-2024, 11:32 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: Well, you could've just PRd logging for this data with API 2 and automatically recorded all of this...

Oh, I didn't know that was possible. I must remember to use that if I ever do this again. Thanks
Very interesting! The data looks about to be what I would expect for some of these statistics.
everyone HATE chief engineer
None of this is surprising tbh, but neat
Cool info

Pls do one for the classic enthusiast.
We started this research to answer one question (originally);

Is Lizardbay real?

The answer is eh not really. Proud to have spent hours on this.
(03-08-2024, 08:38 AM)Showerless Wrote: We started this research to answer one question (originally);

Is Lizardbay real?

The answer is eh not really. Proud to have spent hours on this.

Well you can make it real now that you have the research. Have people choose the lizard trait and try overrunning medical jobs. Create a masterpiece of a meme.