Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
[MERGED PR] Makes security slots scale at lower population
I think there will definitely be a transition period for this where the crew will have to deal with some problems by themselves if not enough secoffs are available. Currently on 3, any department can just call for sec and expect 2-5 officers to respond almost immediately, but this will probably no longer be the case with reduced slots.

If it means the crew has to be a bit more self-reliant on some issues, I think it's not necessarily a bad thing, but something everyone will have to get used to with time.
If it's intended for the RP servers, I feel it should exclude Classic since it has a higher number of antags that are also active and loud compared to RP. I do feel like it's a step in the right direction for the RP servers since they have a lower number of antags and the sec team is a lot of times full and steamrolling. Can maybe try adding the 4th secoff slot at high medium pop, around 35-45 pop perhaps. Then the 5th slot when it starts reaching higher pop at 50-60.
I've been spectating and playing and noticed basically no negative change in rounds from security population. I think security being always occupied is a good thing if it's happening, personally -- it gives antagonists more confidence to be bold rather than cower at the presence of a highly staffed security team. Sometimes, it's the mere presence of security that affects decisions.
I've addressed the cryoing issue Jelly brought up by doing this: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/18145
I'm not a fan of separating the two servers mechanically, and I really don't think this will have too much of an impact on classic as things stand. Also overstaffed security teams are an issue on classic sometimes too.
I like the sec pop balance, feels more fair towards the antags (even tho it makes some shifts really busy) but, and i dont know if im tripping or if this makes sense, but i particularly feel weird when i NTSC a round that has not reached max secs pop as if i was taking someone else slot who would like to join as security but wont have a slot. I think this comes from my view of the NTSC being a halfway between the hos and the rest of security, a +1 to help share the leading role/team management when the shifts get crazy. Idk, that kinda makes the NTSC sounds more like an officer then anything else. I could be tripping tho

omg i worded this so poorly
Lowering the sec slots feels like a decision that makes it kind of resident evil but in space with funny clowns and crappy staffies. A character who's job it is to save the station from threats should have a difficult story arc. This is a good direction.
(03-13-2024, 01:14 PM)JanusRose Wrote: Lowering the sec slots feels like a decision that makes it kind of resident evil but in space with funny clowns and crappy staffies. A character who's job it is to save the station from threats should have a difficult story arc. This is a good direction.

The funnest security rounds are the ones where you're outgunned and outnumbered, hanging on by a thread.