Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Emergency Alert Arrow Indicators
If I recall, crisis alerts provide the exact coordinates of a location.  It might be useful and possibly even educational to have the station maps to have a Latitude and Longitude system, as to help teach new and old players where some parts of the map are exactly in coordinates.  It probably would be done by etching markers at the borders of the map?  The X-coordinates are placed at the north and south edges, and the Y-coordinates are placed at the west and east edges.  Maybe the zoomable map can have these markings and display it in scale, such as 1 unit of the map corresponds to 10 units in the game.

Here is an example of what I am thinking of.

[Image: image.png?ex=65cfe7e6&is=65bd72e6&hm=8b1...fb21cbd35&]

Of course, there is already a space GPS application in the PDA that can assist on leading the person to the alert coordinates by constantly refreshing one's location.
Crisis alerts don't provide exact coordinates, if you're in space the only thing the alert says is that you're in space. Not sure how this fuzzy coordinate system would be better than just pointing players towards the area that shares the name mentioned in the alert
I personally prefered the prior system where they left coordinates, but some people thought that was too powerful. Its not like people carry gps tools around, you still have to do some of the work, and you're not getting much further away then you did before, or conversely, you do it in some obscure and unspecific poorly named place or 'space' and they're just worthless.

I think the arrow thing would be to much, but I would prefer if they went to the Coordinate system. Or hell just even saying what zlevel sometimes. maybe change the map tags so we have space: near station and space, then say 'on station level' or space 'on asteroid mining field' or space: debris field.

it'd give SOME hint. Normally space alerts is just "we say where" and then we get nothing because they suffocated and died.
I like the idea of it being something you'd have to confirm to get. That would likewise let the person who sent the alert know that it had been received, including the antagonist, which would be consistent with the noise it makes when an alert has been sent.

It's more useful information for everyone
Ooh, the "responding" message for the sender of the alert is a great addition yeah