Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Emergency Alert Arrow Indicators
Often times, some departments like engineering or security receive emergency alerts that they have to rush to. When I was a new player it took me three times as long to learn a map than it did a role, and if I got a medical alert in "Crew Quarters B" I would have no idea where that is. I propose that when these alerts go off, an arrow indicator like that of a pinpointer (security weapon pinpointer, auth disk pinpointer, etc.) would appear pointing the player towards where the last alert came from. This would help new players learn maps as a whole and where generally unused areas of the station are.

These would of course be toggleable, because older players already know most of the maps by heart and don't need them. They would probably be toggled on and off directly through the PDA, under the emergency alert tab in the file browser. Maybe make it a game command, I don't know. The arrow would also disappear after you arrive.
This is a good QoL update.
Maybe instead/additionally the alert could provide a link that runs the GPS verb for that area (ie, the one that draws a path between you and the destination)
Could pair well with the concept in PR #15358
That feels really powerful for PDA on its own alone, not only because it makes crises alerts more visible (making traitoring/murder harder since half a dozen people would get an arrow pointing them right to where it was sent from). Also would somewhat negate the AI's usefulness in being the one to direct people to crises alerts.

I can see that being a function of a Sec PDA, lore wise, while wearing SecHUDs because that's the purpose of a Heads Up Display, painting helpful images into your FoV. But it could be too powerful *because* it's sec, I dunno.

If it was something on standard PDAs or dept specific ones, I think what makes the most sense would be to show a flashing arrow on the PDA screen for a few seconds after a crisis alert like old GPS's used to only do (but still do in addition to the hud element)
Emergency alerts are quite strong already. This should not be something that should be avaible roundstart, but rather being locked somehow, like cargo or debris field loot.
For janitor alerts and Engineering alerts. I don't see why not?
They are low level alerts ment to be used for cleaning and repair.

For Security and Health, SURE! We cannot have that from a gameplay standpoint.

Lore wise... the reverse is more true due to their glasses being able to tell them where to go.
But.. doing so makes the two things that makes antagging fun, less fun.

An antag doesn't mind if an engineer or janitor shows up doing their job. That's almost a free victim.

An antag does mind if a doctor or security officer shows up. As they heal your victims or revive them and security will mean you gotta flee or fight.

I dont mind the idea of it being locked and I didn't consider the AI usefulness factor yet.

Personally maybe the AI can send directions to a PDA?
I can see the balance concerns if this happens automatically, but if that type of direction is opt-in once you notice the alert and respond to it, I don't see how there would be a problem. I don't think they were suggesting the pinpoint lead to the exact coordinates of the crime, either-- emergency alerts only post the general location as they are currently. That's why I suggested integrating #15358-- it makes it opt-in and lets your coworkers know you're responding.

I really don't understand the point about AI usefulness, either... Unless it's in like space or something, it's far faster to just... know where the Chapel is and check the whole area, compared to radioing the AI and asking "hey where's that crime scene?" And having to look around the area anyways.

That's what this proposal is addressing-- lack of map knowledge isn't part of sec vs antag balance or even doctor vs antag balance, it's just a disadvantage that players have when they go to new maps. Punishing players for not having map layout memorized doesn't really seem like it has any positive effects on gameplay to me.

What if you had to be holding the PDA to get the arrow, like how the elevator pinpointers work on Oshan and Nadir? It'd make you more vulnerable to being floored and losing your PDA (and likely ID too)
(02-01-2024, 05:23 AM)mintyphresh Wrote: What if you had to be holding the PDA to get the arrow, like how the elevator pinpointers work on Oshan and Nadir? It'd make you more vulnerable to being floored and losing your PDA (and likely ID too)

I will mostly focus on this part of the post, but I do agree that this is more newbie friendly, rather then OP.

Eitherway just making it so you have to hold your PDA is a fair trade off.
I feel like an important distinction to make is if this is pointing to:
- The Area
- The Officer
If it's pointing to the Area, I'm all for it. Officer? Not so much, we removed Coordinates from health alerts for a similar reason, I think?
(02-01-2024, 06:30 AM)444explorer Wrote: I feel like an important distinction to make is if this is pointing to:
- The Area
- The Officer
If it's pointing to the Area, I'm all for it. Officer? Not so much, we removed Coordinates from health alerts for a similar reason, I think?

I think they ment to area. Like pinpointers do.

So an arrow pointing in the general direction. Not the route.

So if someone says janitor alert, and someone accepts it. It shows an arrow pointing in wich direction it is, but not the route to it.
Pinpointers point to the exact location. Not general area. Even if it's not the route, pointing to the exact source of the alert is something I take issue with. Alerts giving a general area is good but ultimately there should be some unknowns like where exactly they are.
As stated in the original idea, it would point out the area that the alert originated from, not the exact source. If it came from "South Main Hallway" then the arrow will point to the center of the South Main Hallway.

I'll also agree that holding the PDA may be a better idea in order to see the alert.
the only thing that makes alerts not good right now is getting an alert from "engineering storage area B". Where the fuck is that??

perhaps GPS units could do this instead of alerts?
(02-01-2024, 09:52 AM)Cal Wrote: the only thing that makes alerts not good right now is getting an alert from "engineering storage area B". Where the fuck is that??

perhaps GPS units could do this instead of alerts?

Exactly, for example:
"East Main hallway"

What ya mean east main? This is cog2.. there is no east hallway.. just northeast and southeast.
There are a lot of vague location named places like this.