Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Motives on classic (mostly hunger)
I'm making this thread to guage how popular the idea of intents on classic is currently, cause I was thinking of making a PR directly but some discussion is probably a good idea.

I'm advocating for at least hunger. I've seen it be the more popular one when the topic of adding them to classic has popped up before. I think the added need to feed would push people into maybe trying food laid out by the chef more often, despite worries of poisoning. Chef might be a little more popular, and I think food is pretty underrated mechanically in general. Hunger is the easiest and quickest to fill, as well.

Thirst would be the obvious next one to think about. I'm a bit biased about it cause I've found it annoying to fill in the past, and bartenders seem to get it slightly better than chefs, but I wouldn't be entirely opposed.

Hygeine doesn't affect things more than visual stink lines. I can see this one being very popular or very disliked.
I don't want this (specifically hygiene, don't care as much about the other two)
sure but we need the motives meter to be much smaller or somen
not a fan, adds needless tedium without adding much
would be fine with it even being a cosmetic thing, it would encourage people to eat regardless and interact with the chef/bar just to make Red go Green
cosmetic sounds fun to at least try.
I do really like the idea of testing it with hunger/thirst, but part of the reason I play a lot more on classic is to avoid the hygiene gimmick because I find it more frustrating to play janitor with it (if you mop blood under your tile you lose hygiene) and even outside of that I just find the hygiene gimmick needless tedium that doesn't encourage any specific interaction or gameplay other than "you have to drop what you're doing and find a shower every half hour or so" just feels like tedium for the sake of tedium with no other systems tied to it
Agreed with Joeled here, Hygiene is a punishment mechanic for touching gross shit and isn't really a good fit for Classic.

Also, you might want to change the title of the thread; "intents" is often used for help, harm, disarm, etc. and is confusing... "motives" would be clearer
(01-12-2024, 10:19 PM)mintyphresh Wrote: Also, you might want to change the title of the thread; "intents" is often used for help, harm, disarm, etc. and is confusing... "motives" would be clearer

Yeah I realised this after posting haha.

The way I see it after feedback, adding nerfed or wholly visual hunger and thirst with a testmerge would be a good idea. I'll have a look into it today though I'm not sure if server based things can only be changed by devs? I'll find out once I look at the code.
(01-12-2024, 09:58 AM)unfunnyperson Wrote: not a fan, adds needless tedium without adding much

Yeah, motives could be severely more punishing/beneficial and affected by certain chems. It would be funny to see someone smoking ipecac to make everyone around weakened because of hunger. This could make them interesting for classic as well.

Currently, even on RP many people simply forget about them if they are not about to fight (me included)
imo, I feel like adding thirst for barkeep should happen if hunger is added for chef, no reason not to give demand to either job in customers and feels like its there for both sides of the coin. Hygiene I'm indifferent on
I pr-ed hunger on classic two years ago. My motivation was to drive players to the cafeteria at 1/2 fixed points in the round, enforcing brief interaction at lunch/dinner time and giving the chef a specific meal to prepare for.

it didn't get the support it needed to be merged and was closed pending a larger rework of chef/cooking. But I still think it's a good idea!
The catering announcement system idea that was discussed here would pair well with this change imo: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=21916

Chef being able to confirm "hey, we do have food ready, come grab something" at those points in time would help
If we were to add this, I think that hygene should not be a factor, only food, (and possibly drink). i really do think there needs to be more incentive to interact with the chef. all the food buffs the chef can make can just be gotten from a vender. one idea would be to make food buffs from vendors weaker, and add a generic "Well Fed" buff after eating specifically chef food, that has some sort of small buff that lasts a long time, like 15 minutes

also we need more non-ahcoholic drinks, all the bartender has is like 3 kinds of lemonade and juice
Opposed. Classic people would probably just get all of their drinks and foods from vending machines. Motives would either be needlessly tedious and/or add very little to the game.

but could be testmerged