Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Catering Announcement System?
Okay this idea is coming straight out of a conversation I had with someone.

What if catering had an announcement system? Like the chef being able to announce that dinner is ready or the bartender announcing they have special drinks?

The only con I see with this is that it's just more spam alongside QM, persay.

Thoughts?
Nope... we don't need more people to spam announcements. We got the Radio bridge , AI , Bridge and sometimes Captain quarters.

Just ask the ones that have access to do this.
(10-20-2023, 11:13 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Nope... we don't need more people to spam announcements. We got the Radio bridge , AI , Bridge and sometimes Captain quarters.

Just ask the ones that have access to do this.
I mean, the problem with this is that it's tedious to go to the radio bridge and back, AI will probably ignore since chef/bartender is a non-essential civilian, and bridge depending on the map, tedious to get to alongside needing the access permissions.
So Xtian.. let's go with "Sure let's add it"

It gets added

Now other departments want it too for their reasons like Mining, Medical and such.
Cargo has announcement though.. and sometimes engineering depending on the map. (Mostly to say: "We fucked up the engine, duck and cover")
Now imagine a round where everyone wants to do announcements... and it gets annoying.

I am just against it as the Chef/bartender DO NOT NEED IT AS CIVILIANS. And if we add another.. then OTHER DEPARTMENTS need it before it then the CIVILIAN ONES.

Tedium is part of the game with communication.... if we don't put it there.. there is no point for certain people to communicate and interact.

And some departments barely communicate as well like Botany and Science.
Gotta pay the radio host for air time if you wanna run an ad spot
sure, anything that makes players communicate more
maybe there could be something slightly smaller / less loud than command announcements for QMs and catering?
(10-20-2023, 09:30 PM)glowbold Wrote: maybe there could be something slightly smaller / less loud than command announcements for QMs and catering?

I am actually fine with that. Maybe they can have a control panel that sends stuff ONLY to PDA's.
I just don't want to see an escalation of this where 6 announcement terminals are used to make a conversation on standard.
I am fine with making more as a joke/antagonist thing..

But if we have the Radio Bridge, QM, Engineering, AI, Command and Kitchen/bar all talking over announcement as a joke.. it will just be disrruptive for everyone.
To be honest, if QM getss one, i wouldn't mind civilian hetting one. Then again, i don't think chef/bartender needs ot since they are very central and often visited.

Botany, most often being sheltered away on many stayions (cogmap for example) could need it. Then again, that department is very mischievous and i am not syre uf an announcement PC would make them play more with the station or pull off more bogus.
I like the idea of mini announcement consoles that make smaller announcements. Could also just make catering announcement consoles have a longer cooldown!
(10-22-2023, 07:48 AM)aft2001 Wrote: I like the idea of mini announcement consoles that make smaller announcements. Could also just make catering announcement consoles have a longer cooldown!
This would be pretty cool.

Mini announcements can allow players to hear what they want to hear and can open up opportunities for every department to chime in with their own announcements, at least at RP. Medbay can do their cloning announcements, Research can announce they're looking for telescience people, Engineering can announce the engine is melting down, Security can put out PSAs, etc. The mini announcements can be muted so players can hear what they want to hear, either an OOC game option or IC such as PDAs or via the Headset.
I like the idea of a mini announcement. As chef I could announce what theme of cooking. or just exactly what ill be cooking so people can see and it not be to disruptive. sounds like fun for informing crew of stuff that isnt terribly important!
(10-21-2023, 07:37 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: To be honest, if QM getss one, i wouldn't mind civilian hetting one. Then again, i don't think chef/bartender needs ot since they are very central and often visited.

Botany, most often being sheltered away on many stayions (cogmap for example) could need it. Then again, that department is very mischievous and i am not syre uf an announcement PC would make them play more with the station or pull off more bogus.

Honestly anything to make botany not become genetics V2. Very rare to see em communicating outside of their natural habitat.
There should be announcement speakers placed around the station and you have to be within range of one to hear the station announcements. (Instead of them being placed directly into your chat box).

Think Donut3's engineering ham radio thing and the wall-mounted speakers.

Dibs not doing any work on this idea.
(11-02-2023, 02:05 PM)PowerfulXtian Wrote: Honestly anything to make botany not become genetics V2. Very rare to see em communicating outside of their natural habitat.

Agreed, it would be kinda nice to give them a way to communicate better with the station.