Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Medical sleeper changes
Inspired by a post in the chicken soup thread. This one is pretty self explanatory.

Sleepers kinda suck. They serve their intended function well enough, keeping people in light crit somewhat stable for triage and the like, but the good points end there. You're knocked out while they're operating, completely cutting you off from interaction or at least seeing whats happening around you. If there was a real bad triage situation in medbay, I think I'd prefer to be left dying on the floor rather than stuffed into a sleeper, because at least then I can actually perceive the game. 

Sleepers seem to be more often used, though, for addiction treatment. Addiction makes you puke your guts up and get random slows, which is extremely annoying. The way you treat it is by getting taken out of the round for several minutes, typically with your addiction ending halfway through and still having to sit it out, not that you'd notice because you're not gonna be tabbed into the game anyways.

My suggestions are:
  •  The easy way: Add tickboxes or something to end the timer early if the patient rises out of crit or is cured of addiction. These cases are the two most common times you'll be sleepered, and once you're recovered you should be able to immediately get back into the game without either relying on a doctor hovering over the panel to monitor progress (which defeats the entire point of the sleeper) or getting lucky.

• The hard way: Simply keep people conscious during sleeper treatment. This is hard because it requires changing its emag effects, and probably messing 
    with how it's turned on or off as well since a timer would make less sense. This would greatly improve the experience, however.

• Reduce the time needed to treat addiction by a considerable margin. If someone is in medbay for treatment, its because they don't want to bother waiting it out. They already went out of their way to go to medbay rather than continue what they were up to, so it really should be way faster.
Im ngl, I think you might want to rename the thread, when I read sleeper changes I thought it meant sleeper agent. idk if that was just me but, Idk. It wouldnt help to make it a bit clearer that you are talking about the medical sleeper rather then the antagonist XD.

or maybe its just me, idk
No you're right, in fact I thought of that being a problem and just entirely forgot to add the clarification.
Funny thing is, spaceacillin is just better at curing food poisoning, due to not needing to go unconscious in order to use it.
sleeper's fantastic for stabilizing people, it injects charcoal, salbutonal, saline glucose and all that good shit without having to force people to sleep
Does that happen without hibernation? I've been out of the game for a while and couldn't remember, so I was looking at the code when making the original post and it seemed like it required going under, which matched with how I remembered them working. Glad to be wrong on that part, but the addiction treatment bit is definitely correct still.
Yes you don't have to sleep for the injection part.