Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 2.09 Average
Removing farts [CONTROVERSIAL AF]
I consider the spirit of the server in not taking itself too seriously. We have silly little times but try not to be too off-putting or edgy.

We could still be that without farts, imo. There's a few good reasons to move away from the Something Awful/Goon legacy we inherited and forge a new identity.

That said, it doesn't personally bother me one way or the other.
I'm not gonna stand up and rally for farts specifically, but I will echo the sentiment that it's fairly harmless (aside from noise spam) and simple to do and keeps the atmosphere from being too heavy and self-serious. I don't really care whether or not farts themselves persist, but as hooligan and frank have said, they fill the role of being a metatextual indicator that, hey, we're goofing around and having fun here. there's a lot of ss13 servers that take themselves very seriously, and I personally think a core part of goonstation's identity is that we Aren't that, and farts are, in many ways, just a convenient shorthand of that concept

it would be pretty great though if their use in engine stuff was replaced by something more interesting. the engineering team having to stop what they're doing and fart into a room together really loses its comedy after, if I'm being generous, like the first 15 seconds of doing it
(08-01-2023, 07:33 AM)Waffleloffle Wrote: it would be pretty great though if their use in engine stuff was replaced by something more interesting. the engineering team having to stop what they're doing and fart into a room together really loses its comedy after, if I'm being generous, like the first 15 seconds of doing it

probably the best thing to do for farts overall is remove this effect and perhaps make a molitz b alternative. perhaps a 'Molitz Fart' that has a similar effort/return ratio. I can see the joke getting stale incredibly quick if you're forced to hear it for 30+ seconds every shift
A few things to add what happens if we remove farts:

- Remove the cursed records full of fart sounds. (cause why not?)
- Remove the Cluwne/Cursed Horse Mask "POO" effects
- Brown note mutation
- Bible farting deaths
- Empowered Farts
- Butt Bombs

I think the problem with farts is the MODERATION.
We can also just change the F key into a CNTRL+F key emote insted so no one can hit it on accident.

Eitherway... you want to spam farts? Eat eggs and beans. Make it more effort to spam F.

Anyway.. I find it funny we are taking this semi serious :P

PS: Just like we can remove the clown honking spam by taking away their horn and tools, you can also just amputate someone's butt if they are spamming.
Yeah I think injecting a roach burger with piss and vomit then forcefeeding them to the clown you just drugged with a nerve agent is way more gross then farts, I just dont think the gross argument holds up in a game as sandbox as this, If farts in a 2d pixel space game disgust you I wish you luck going to the bathroom
I don't quite care for farts personally. I agree with most that it's part of goon identity and in a world with so many different problems and our strenuous era we live, why can I not login to my space game and fart ? It hurts no one. The argument that you're so abhorrently disgusted by it in my opinion doesn't hold water. You're not actually inhaling anything. You're playing a character in a game. Surely it isn't THAT gross as others have pointed out, there are things that are far worse in a game with violence. You've pointed it out yourself. You can put a person's head on a spike, use deadly chemicals to cause spasms, cause people's organs to explode.. the fart sounds really aren't even realistic they sound cartoonish and very much exaggerated. It's not amazing humor but it doesn't bite imo.. If anything, maybe there should be an SFX or EMOTE volume option to lower or turn them off.

Just don't take away my screams. I love running down the hall screaming like I'm about to have my toes stolen.

You could argue that it's extremely unappealing for you, which I understand, but we have to have some sorta general consensus or something. There are things we all like or dislike about the game and I think we all make some sorta small sacrifice when we play. But hey maybe I'm talking out my ass here, get it ? Its becaus- you know what nevermind ):

(08-01-2023, 02:44 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: But as soon as you enter the server as a new player it's like, here's the fart button right next to your movement buttons, wonder what the atmosphere is made of on the station? farts. you're constantly breathing everyones farts.
Farts can be obnoxious, but it's harmless otherwise.

And as mentioned before you can do much more disgusting things. Piss and Vomit are chemicals, and anything you can do with any chemical you can do with them. You can surgery a persons heart out of someone and force them to eat it. The Port-a-Puke exists.

Regulars on the server don't spam F to an obnoxious degree and anyone who stays for any notable amount of time will realize that.

There's not a lot to laugh about in life these days. Surely we can avoid taking away one of the things that I can laugh about.
(08-01-2023, 10:08 AM)MorganFreeman Wrote: Yeah I think injecting a roach burger with piss and vomit then forcefeeding them to the clown you just drugged with a nerve agent is way more gross then farts, I just dont think the gross argument holds up in a game as sandbox as this, If farts in a 2d pixel space game disgust you I wish you luck going to the bathroom

those are things you specifically have to go out of your way to do because they are gross
they don't have a specific, prominent button and two dozen different mechanics tied into them to encourage it
(08-01-2023, 10:57 AM)Technature Wrote: Regulars on the server don't spam F to an obnoxious degree and anyone who stays for any notable amount of time will realize that.

You sure? Im pretty sure at least on classic its by far the older player who spam the Fart button more.

The whole use of farts in at least classic is to use of people who are laying down. theres nothing quite as satisfying as spamming F on a stunned/disarmed person. Without that dedicated F button this would crumble. to me this is a integral part of the game. I 1000000% would not have continued to play this game if it wasnt for dumb mechanics like this, The Fart mechanic being its own bind helped me realise just how unserious this game is and how it isnt the scary mass of complex mechanics that it can seem to be!
(08-01-2023, 11:19 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: those are things you specifically have to go out of your way to do because they are gross
they don't have a specific, prominent button and two dozen different mechanics tied into them to encourage it

2 dozen mechanics and an entire AZone dedicated to it. 

Mechanics that need alternatives to this supposed problem and it's hypothetical exclusion.
without farts this is an elaborate and detailed torture simulator
How will I kill myself with a Bible now tell me
As someone who doesn't play on other Space Station servers, I really don't understand the kerfuffle going on here. Farts aren't exactly essential to the game imo, but it is a nice comic relief and takes the edge off of a game where you're running around for 60 mins trying to not get your head blown off or the life force sucked out of you. I mean we have an actual traitor item where you can stuff people into a pod and it causes them to vomit to death. I also don't ever see people refer to Goon as the "fart server" either, although it is a pretty frequently used emote there are so many other features that this server offers to separate itself from the crowd that I find it hard to believe that new players hear a fart and are instantly turned away. When I did test other servers for a brief time, such as TG or Hippie, you couldn't even walk diagonally at that point in time, and I'm not sure any others offer this still besides us. So just because we're the only server to offer this feature, we're the "diagonal movement" server, right? I find this argument to be absurd as well.
Farts are funny which is why the F button is both press F to fart and press F for funny. Everytim you press F 1 clown goes to heaven
change f to flip and make ctrl + f to fart