Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
[CLOSED PR] Breath masks can be attached to clown masks
(06-10-2023, 11:34 PM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: At the end of the Day, Saying the clown takes punishment is stupid, since they can quite literally bypass any issues presented by just putting a breath mask on. all this PR adds is the ability for the clowns to keep their dignity. Which 99% of clowns would opt out of doing in favour of living.

That is the point. As a Clown, you either pick your dignity or you pick your life. If there's not much problem with using the breath mask, then use it. If you think nobody is gonna judge you for doing that, even better.

But I do agree with the balloon idea, though. It sounds extremely silly, and I love that.
(06-11-2023, 05:02 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(06-10-2023, 11:34 PM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: Also I like how people want this for the clown and NOT the mime.. who has the same problem if not even bigger.

The thing with the mime is that for the mime, it doesn’t matter as much whether or not the mime is out of oxygen since the mime can’t talk anyways. Whereas with the clown, one of the issues with asphyxiation is that the clown can no longer tell jokes, regardless of if the clown will die or not.

Imo the clown should have some easy way to breathe without having to dedicate more than probably two minutes on fixing the issue since most people probably won’t enjoy spending more than that on the issue. The thing about this pr is that the clown still can go down telling jokes if that is what the clown chooses to do, but there is the option of not having to choke, whereas the admins’ complaints are painting a picture of the clown being immediately immune to all asphyxiation, even though they have to choose to put on the mask in the first place.
Ok I’ll actually add my opinion to this. I think it is really silly that the devs keep refusing these PRs and people keep getting uppity about this despite it just being a relatively minor QOL change. All this PR would allow the clown to do is survive depressurized parts of the station (which tends to happen a lot in an atmos sim game) while keeping their preferred cosmetics on (that being the clown mask). The main reason why these never get accepted is because the devs have this sorta sentiment that the clown suffering is very funny, and the merging of this PR would make the clown less funny due to them suffering less. While I agree I do like seeing the clown dying in this most extraordinary ways from time to time, it’s not the main appeal of the clown as there are way funnier things a clown can do while they are alive. Another argument I hear is that the clown can easily just swap to a breath mask if they want to live, and that it doesn’t really matter if they use it or not. But if it doesn’t matter if they take off their clown mask to swap to a breath mask, then why should it matter if the clown gets a breath mask under their clown mask if it is already so easy? Other people claim that the clown mask should be worn with dignity and they should be shamed if they take it off to survive. This argument however tends to come from people who don’t play clown often, as every clown main I have seen would rather just take their clown mask off to live. This is a highly desired feature wanted by many players and clown mains, and people are not going to stop suggest/making these PRs until the heat death of the universe unless…
A) The devs cave in and add it
B) A compromise feature is agreed upon and added (like what Cal and Kotlol)
C) Administrative action is taken and the idea is banned from being suggested
At the end of the day, this such a silly argument over what is really just a minor QOL change. If this gets added, nothing major about the game is going to change, and people would stop caring about it like a day after it is added. If this is not added.. well, see ya in a month when it is suggested again.
Clown has always been the Hard Mode crewmate when they stopped being a punishment.

If you need oxygen, chances are you need a suit. If you need a suit, no one can see your clown mask, so store it for later.

This just seems silly at this point.
Something I don't usually see mentioned in discussions about this explicitly is that there's an aesthetic component to clown gear; the items aren't necessarily ideal, optimal or even 'useful' to wear, which aesthetically is in line with what clowns *are*. You're an entertainer, so you wear these impractical things precisely *because* they're not the best thing you could be wearing. Because woefully incompetent clowns on a high tech research station is pretty funny!

I think personally it's understandable to me to *want* to be able to use internals and wear the clothing you want, and I can get why multiple people would want something like that and see it as a clear cut convenience change, but I don't think that necessarily makes it a good change. Using balloons or other Goofy means to breathe is a much better solution that fits the role better imo, It's silly, it's funny, it's impractical! Much more in-line with the tone of the job.
Also let's be real.. if the clown mask gets internals.. a lot of people will start asking:
- Why does mask X and Y not have internals since Clown Mask has it?

A lot of people will ask QoL stuff for their fashion.

Why does my "Swim trousers" not warm me? If I put wool in it ,it can soften bullets but not the cold of space? I don't wanna be seen in a space suit!
Or "Why does my coat not stop space like a space suit?"
Why does this helmet not do the space helmet stuff?
I can keep going... but depressurisation also comes with temprature drops and then people will complain about that. Especially Boxers in their shorts.

While a "Simple QoL" it has implications beyond it's initial change.
And some of these examples have been "sorta" asked before.

I'd say be more creative... and if anyone says:
"But people won't ask that.. that's silly"
...You are debating that a silly clown mask can have 02 functionality...

The only mask that has 02 fuctionality is the plague doctor mask..just fyi. And that item is rare or available on certain stations.

Anyway i wanted to added this point. While the clown is suppose to look silly... a clown not weaering it's mask is also silly.
Work with it... or make something that fits the clown's silly logics.
IIRC someone floated the idea of combining the two with tape and it only works for like, 5 minutes tops. I think it would be funnier to see a clown haphazardly taping a breath mask to the clown mask using way too much tape
Air isn't funny
doesn't the traitor clown mask have internals anyway? and thats the only one I could see needing it.
Okay someone linked the old thread and I accidentally made a post on that one not realizing it was the old post. Here is the post I meant to post:

(06-10-2023, 11:34 PM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: This is just a no brainer. At the end of the day, the clown is gonna pick Breathing over Having a clown mask on. Your not preventing anything from happening here. Nobody really cares if the clown uses internals to live over wearing a clown mask. It would just be preferable that the Clown gets the ability to gain internals with their mask.
At the end of the Day, Saying the clown takes punishment is stupid, since they can quite literally bypass any issues presented by just putting a breath mask on. all this PR adds is the ability for the clowns to keep their dignity. Which 99% of clowns would opt out of doing in favour of living.
Idk It just seems stupid seeing all these people saying "IT needs punishment" where there is no punishment being handed out, The clown lives just the same as everyone else without this PR. Its more about the aesthetic.

I Also really need to fix my brain, I swear in all my replies I just say the same thing twice but rephrased.

Clown main here, I absolutely choose having the mask over breathing.

Edit: That said a clown themed item that allows (shitty) breathing might make sense. I recommend a fishbowl, worn in the helmet slot. Don't get hit.
While I personally also think that clowns should have the ability to breathe with their mask on, I think having O2 balloons on round start and the ability to fill up more with some, as well as the ability to breathe those slowly over time is entirely sufficient.
who cares at this point, just let em have it
I will let them have air masks but only if they suffocate without it
There are borders a PR should not cross. That is one of them. For the clowns life is to suffer, so the station can enjoy their early end.