Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Nucular Fishin' Engine
(06-15-2022, 10:37 PM)Sbmhawk Wrote: > The setup I'm showing in that image is steel heat exchangers, steel gas channels, and neutronium fuel rods.

In the image it seems thats only making 1 KW?
Is there some other part that im missing?

yeah so basically ignore the numbers right now, things are still being balanced, but also it takes a minute to get warm, and heat the gas, and start the turbine spinning - you'll notice in that image it'd only *just* started producing power.
Oh also I changed how radiation works

[Image: 175828520-1e9640bc-19a9-472f-ba31-cc5edff27ee2.png]

Here's a rough design doc for it:
Radiation Redesign

Short summary: All radiation sources are now visually identifiable - all the time. Radiation affects things on nearby tiles (ie, it radiates). Things can become temporarily radioactive. Radiation dose builds up in people. Over a certain level it starts making you sick. Radiation immunity is no longer a thing, but you can get nearly immune with good gear.
(06-26-2022, 10:39 AM)amylizzle Wrote: Oh also I changed how radiation works

[Image: 175828520-1e9640bc-19a9-472f-ba31-cc5edff27ee2.png]

Here's a rough design doc for it:
Radiation Redesign

Short summary: All radiation sources are now visually identifiable - all the time. Radiation affects things on nearby tiles (ie, it radiates). Things can become temporarily radioactive. Radiation dose builds up in people. Over a certain level it starts making you sick. Radiation immunity is no longer a thing, but you can get nearly immune with good gear.

Wait what? Do mutations count? Does being a roach count? or is it the same radiation that can penetrate even those like those radiation pulses?
I actually haven't changed the values of the radres gene or roach. The end result is just calculated differently. As it stands right now, what was previously radiation immunity (100 rad resistance) now comes to 99% resistance. Which is to say, incoming radiation doses are reduced by 99% before being absorbed. Wearing a full suit of radiation gear (hood and suit) gives another 100 rad resistance, and will result in 99.5% reduction.

So basically, if you were immune before, you're *nearly* immune now. Just don't hold a nuclear fuel rod in your hands for 20 minutes or you might get sick.
How does this affect the rate at which someone mutates? Are there still different radiation levels or does it all fall under one umbrella?
There are still different radiation levels, and at the lowest levels you won't mutate, with mutation chance climbing as your radiation dose does.

The actual math is prob(min(floor(dose/0.4)-(2+hasTrait("stablegenes")),0)**2) though this is of course subject to further balancing if needed.
Holy crap, this would be amazing
Hey so this is basically finished now, barring code review and some QoL features.
Just for the sake of avoiding cases of frustrating futility, it could be worth adding a cap to radiation dosage, either being instantly lethal or just no longer increasing at that point.

I think the preexisting system has a limit, and getting treated by a doctor in medbay stabilized on medical cocktails for an entire round to no avail sounds boring.
Maybe an upgraded version of potasion iodide is needed to avoid this issue. So when advanced radiation sickness happens you can use the advanced chem to fix the issue quickly, with other some drawbacks like calomel. Other than that this engine looks great
(07-21-2022, 10:51 AM)According_tome Wrote: Maybe an upgraded version of potasion iodide is needed to avoid this issue. So when advanced radiation sickness happens you can use the advanced chem to fix the issue quickly, with other some drawbacks like calomel. Other than that this engine looks great

A chem like Pentetic Acid?
(07-21-2022, 01:32 PM)Maegor Wrote:
(07-21-2022, 10:51 AM)According_tome Wrote: Maybe an upgraded version of potasion iodide is needed to avoid this issue. So when advanced radiation sickness happens you can use the advanced chem to fix the issue quickly, with other some drawbacks like calomel. Other than that this engine looks great

A chem like Pentetic Acid?

Yeah I forgot that.  Dr. Acula Putting a stock of it right next to the engine might ease the radiation problem.
Here's a simple question... how much size does this engine need and wich station that exists in the goon rotation can use this engine?
(06-26-2022, 02:11 PM)amylizzle Wrote: I actually haven't changed the values of the radres gene or roach. The end result is just calculated differently. As it stands right now, what was previously radiation immunity (100 rad resistance) now comes to 99% resistance. Which is to say, incoming radiation doses are reduced by 99% before being absorbed. Wearing a full suit of radiation gear (hood and suit) gives another 100 rad resistance, and will result in 99.5% reduction.

So basically, if you were immune before, you're *nearly* immune now. Just don't hold a nuclear fuel rod in your hands for 20 minutes or you might get sick.
I'm not really a fan of this because it messes with mining a bit. If you're doing some advanced stuff, you're going to be carry radioactive materials for extended periods of time especially when fabricating things like cerenkite spears, floors, and walls.

Maybe it's just me, but I like my radioactive space houses, I want to be able to continue making them.
(07-21-2022, 07:34 PM)Washbasin Wrote: I'm not really a fan of this because it messes with mining a bit. If you're doing some advanced stuff, you're going to be carry radioactive materials for extended periods of time especially when fabricating things like cerenkite spears, floors, and walls.

Maybe it's just me, but I like my radioactive space houses, I want to be able to continue making them.

Honneslty I'm fine with this. The state of radiations in mining currently is abyssmal.

If you stumble upon rads before you get an indus suit, you instantly take a dose of rads that might be enough to severly incapacitate you. Rad ores are easy to avoid once you learn them, but random rad rock hazards are not. Also this mean that if you randomly pull a rock full of radioactive ores early on, you kinda have to throw it away. And then once you get your indus suit or choose to play as a roach you get to completely ignore radiations.

Hopefully with the new system, short exposure to low rads should be less of a pain, but it would also remain something you have to think about while handling very radioactive materials. The numbers can be fine tuned if any obvious issues arise from the change.

Side note: Most mining department have a bottle potassium iodide pills somehwere, but not all of them. Might want to update that along with the new radiation rules.