Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
YOUR OPINION PLEASE! about discord channels
(11-15-2020, 04:27 AM)GORE Wrote: @Scaltra ---> #imwiki

imwiki is for discussing wiki updates and such, not really about asking questions about game mechanics
I'd like a channel to talk about and organize pokemon stuff, trading, battlin', w/e. I've been getting back into pokemon lately and would like a place to organize trades.  rules  would mostly be about not lying about trades or whatever
I like both of these ideas, even as a Mentor I tend to get lost on certain subjects quite frequently and having a place to ask about it is a great idea. Along with that, I quite enjoy playing pokemon so having a place to talk about games like that would be a lot of fun.

Also, am I supposed to comment on how much I like these ideas or is it more of a "State what's necessary and stop yapping" sort of deal?
Just an update to tell everyone we went and made two new channels for now. #imquestion in the Dream Seekers category and #chess-club in the gimmick channel category. We're discussing adding some of the other channels that have been talked about here.
Probably a dumb idea, but maybe a channel for announcing when we are streaming movies, games, etc? Could come in handy for avoiding derailling conversation in general or such or to avoid the announcements getting lost in the chat?
My dream would be to not be reliant on Discord which is an unethical mass surveillance tool. It will eventually go down or censor Goonstation "server". I would love to instead use IRC/Matrix/Mumble. Goonstation is already hosted so why can't that group/person host a group chat also?
Today, we've made another channel based on these discussions for, quote, " philosophy, ancient history, and mathematics" (also other sciences and studies) somewhat blandly called "the-academics-channel", under the General category for now. As said before, we're still discussing adding other channels proposed here, so just because we've added that, it doesn't mean we won't add any other channels suggested in this thread!
#screenshots channel when

i also want #block_game (minecraft) but there's basically no chance
We were talking in the RP channel about how nifty a #Highlights channel would be. A dedicated place to post in-game screenshots, gifs, clips, stories. A lot of cool stuff gets posted in chat when it's currently relevant. A place to cross-post for posterity, brimming with juicy gameplay moments, would be amazing.
(11-22-2020, 08:06 AM)Permanoob_OG Wrote: We were talking in the RP channel about how nifty a #Highlights channel would be. A dedicated place to post in-game screenshots, gifs, clips, stories. A lot of cool stuff gets posted in chat when it's currently relevant. A place to cross-post for posterity, brimming with juicy gameplay moments, would be amazing.

I think this is one situation where the forums just do it better. on discord, you can't save your place, so all stories will eventually get lost in a backscroll that's too long for anyone to want to bother looking through.

meanwhile, by contributing to these threads, you are making a lasting record that can be perused by peeps for years to come

quotes: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=1217&page=106

stories: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=8&pid=23

pictures: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=4440
Tips and tricks: A very non serious advice, lifehacks, and DIY board
I would like to add a channel for discussing ideas and suggestions to be later added to the forum:

#think-tank

It would be solely for the purpose of discussing ideas to see if they're worth discussing in the forums, as real time communication is much faster than waiting for people to check it on the forums. Ideally ideas wouldn't just be left there unless they're ditched as they'd later be posted to the forum if the discussion narrows down the kinks in the plan.

I suggest this because I see myself and others discuss ideas in an inappropriate place as the natural flow of discussion leads us to talking about ideas for the game.
I like that #dink-dank idea, lot of times someone's got a neato idea, but it ends up being discussed in the middle of any of half a dozen channels where it's less likely to be noticed. Like sometimes an idea'll show up in #imcodder where only the dopest of nerds'll ever see it, or it'll show up in #spessmess-recess where it could be lost in whatever's being talked about. Would be nice to have channel for that!
Maybe it should just be in the computer games thing.
But maybe a JackBox or even a general easy to join multiplayer game channel?
I'd absolutely use the crap out of a JackBox channel