Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Collecting ideas for Chemical Sales Machine
Hello.

I would like to make a machine similar to the Rockbox for chemistry to use.

Current concept:

1) Chemists load a Big Bathtub Thing with the chemicals they want to sell
2) Chemicals show up on the Public Nanomed
3) Customer selects the chem they want to buy and selects Ampoule, Pill, Patch, or, for whitelisted chems, Autoinjector
4) Big Bathtub Thing crunches some shit up and makes the Ampoule, Pill, Patch, or Autoinjector
5) Purchased chemicals are teleported to the customer for their convenience

Notes:
1) Chemicals are sold in even 5u batches
2) Chemists set the price per 5u of chem
3) There are fixed credit costs per Ampoule, Pill, Patch, or Autoinjector taken by the Service Provider, with Autoinjectors being much more expensive

Thoughts:
1) Maybe allow the chemists to make Ampoules, Pills, Patches, and Autoinjectors with the Big Bathtub Thing directly for the fees
2) Maybe have Autoinjectors require materials like glass and wire?

This thread is for feeling out how much people like the idea, for collecting feedback for the idea, and to receive suggestions for different directions this thing could take.

Thank you.
My initial concern with this idea was how distributing it would work, but the idea of being able to select which things you want and in what size/form is pretty nice. It seems good for both the community and for the actual chemists themselves in order to make things far less tedious for them.

Sometimes you just don't want to juggle 20 fuckin beakers with your required chems and I think this would help fix that.

EDIT: Plus, to be honest, creating pills/etc. is a little bit archaic and a way to mass produce them in a bit more convenient of a way would be nice.
I actually hadn't thought about the user setting the unit amount... that might actually be better if it was credits per 1u with a flat fee for the applicator production. It pays to buy in bulk!
(01-16-2020, 07:06 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I actually hadn't thought about the user setting the unit amount... that might actually be better if it was credits per 1u with a flat fee for the applicator production. It pays to buy in bulk!

This also promotes the importance of small vs large amounts of currency, so a little bit of money is still nice to have as are many little bits.
Perhaps make it a vending machine version of the thing the genetics has for selling mutations. Keeping it in Medbay seems pretty balanced to me that way.

Chemists would only have to walk round to MedBay, swipe their card, supply whatever chems they have, set a price and then click apply.

Perhaps adding a slightly less extensive medical fabricator to the research sector would also be useful.
Whitelist the autoinjector chemicals to stop the inevitable cases of "Prions autoinjector lolololol". Or whitelist the tub in general.
No whitelisting. Give chemists free reign, this falls under the barman's drink / floorpills category. It is not the same as meds. Although, there should be a record of who actually uploaded the chems, that way some detective work could be done if Mr White has mixed his meth with phlog. This should encourage shenanigans. If too difficult to create a log, there should at least be some sort of interaction with the "tub" as to create fingerprints.

That said, like the rockbox patch, I wholeheartedly (to the extreme, as this is something i've been touting for a while) support this as there needs to be streamlined economics system. More things to sell, more things to buy, but done systematically.

Other than that, no real suggestions other than making it similar to a vending machine as outlined by Carbadox.
I'd say to have the autoinjectors be a bit *different* so that dorks cant just sell themselves a bunch of poison injectors and skip having to buy a sleepypen. Sure you risk getting caught, so just take off your ID and wear a gasmask. Or just have an extended whitelist for what goes in an autoinjector.

Reason its okay for the mutationstations to sell bad things is that, for the most part, you gotta willingly choose to give yourself Bubs' Disease.
as I said in my op, I'm putting a white list on auto injectors. This is because they can be applied to other people instantly. I'm not budging on that one.
W o o p s
The autoinjectors bit went right over my head.

Yes, in that instance, there should be whitelists for the autoinjectors - BUT, it probably shouldn't be a C&P of the hypospray list, throw in a few fun things there for the crew to pump themselves with, rather than each other.
Should Botany be included as well? They have a similar problem of having great products to distribute and no good way to do it.

Another suggestion: an Advertisement PDA message feed. “Omnizine has been added to the Public NanoMed”, “Stabilized X—Ray has been added to the Gene Booth” and so on.
I feel like there should be some kind of physical way the chems get from one place to another

Maybe a tap line that runs under the floor? You could use that to also hook up chemistry, the bar, medbay, and botany to share materials across station

And then when those lines break, intentionally or not, fluid and flood mechanics can come into place as it leaks out through the breakage.
(01-21-2020, 08:43 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I feel like there should be some kind of physical way the chems get from one place to another

Maybe a tap line that runs under the floor? You could use that to also hook up chemistry, the bar, medbay, and botany to share materials across station

And then when those lines break, intentionally or not, fluid and flood mechanics can come into place as it leaks out through the breakage.

I think, as with the rockbox, I would actually like to see if the system even gets used at all for buying chems before forcing a merger to spend hours laying hundreds of tiles of chem fluid pipe on multiple maps. Unless we can be assured that people will actually use the system, such a thing would lock the project into extended dev hell.

nothing stopping us from making it a more robust and less teleport-y system later
Just adding my opinion to this - a chem dispenser would be really great and I think that chems should not be whitelisted except for perhaps autoinjectors.

The unit size per pill should not be limited to five units as stated by the original poster. Sometimes five units is just simply not enough to trigger what you wanna achieve.

I hope we'll see some sort of implementation of this sooner than later. It would be really cool. Placing one near science would be sensible and I would also argue for one to be placed in the bar for customer entertainment.

If just one is placed at science it should at least be scannable by mechanics so a new one can be placed down in the bar.
Why have 2 separate machines with the same function for separate jobs when you could have 1 machine that multiple jobs can use? Maybe give the machine a tabs setting similar to a browser so you can switch between the functions at will or make the machine malleable enough for all jobs to not need separate pieces per job. I don't know what a rockbox is so take this with a nice big fresh bag of salt.