Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[Feature] Rockbox Ore Cloud Storage Device
Implements the Rockbox ™ Ore Cloud Storage Device

Sprites by AwkwardDryad

- Ore can be loaded in by mining to sell to the station

- Crew can buy ore from any manufacturing unit by scanning their ID

- Quartermasters can add a % tax (with minimum $ amount) to the miner's prices to skim off the top

- Rockbox ™ takes a fee of 5 Credits per ore transacted unless the QM buys the Premium Service for 10000 credits

- Miner prices are divided equally among miner accounts, with un-splittable amounts going to the shipping budget

- QM taxes and fees go to the shipping budget

- Breaking the Ore Cloud Storage Device prevents ore transmission but still allows storage

prpr: UM-040
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...6/pull/196

dmi:
Can't attach for some awful reason so here's a discord link
yo this is cool as hell lol
Yeesss!!! Actual engagement between QMs and miners aside from "hey give me money ores ty"

Also a nice way to make money on the side! I like it! Will these devices be put in spots like the pod hangars, so that folks can buy stuff to make more pods?
This sounds great for miners I think, but i'm confused how it's supposed to work. Is this just selling ores at qm prices to wherever the qm sells things? Or is it selling to the crew like the gene booth does?
(12-29-2019, 01:26 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: This sounds great for miners I think, but i'm confused how it's supposed to work. Is this just selling ores at qm prices to wherever the qm sells things? Or is it selling to the crew like the gene booth does?

I'll be making a video in a few minutes, but the ore is being sold to the crew! They can order it to be delivered to them at any manufacturer (reclaimer not included) (some terms and conditions may apply)

Video uploades, see OP
This sounds amazing +1
Could it be possible to add the "Rockbox ™ Ore Cloud Storage Device" as a destination for the Mineral Accumulator or perhaps add the storage device around the same area with mining's cargo pad?
Also are you buying (only able to buy) the raw ore instead of bars when using the service from a manufacturer unit?
A reskinned version for Chemistry would be welcome too. A lot of medical chems don't get produced because its a pain to get them to where they're needed, and a lot of gimmick chems only get produced for endround shenanigans.
+1 to this and the chem idea, though idk how the latter would work really
My only concern is that something like this undercuts other systems in place when it comes to transporting materials from one place to another
I am personally not a fan of this idea as I believe it will even further remove interactions between mining and the rest of the station. With this, they just need to stuff ore into a thing and that's it.

I'm speaking as a player rather than a coder at this point, I've not looked into the technical side of this patch.
(02-21-2020, 09:19 AM)Mordent Wrote: I am personally not a fan of this idea as I believe it will even further remove interactions between mining and the rest of the station.

There is already zero interaction between mining and the rest of the crew. It is symptomatic of a larger problem, which is that it is currently overly difficult to buy/sell/trade items between crewmembers. It's hard to source materials, it's hard to find buyers, and above all, it's tedious. A centralized, convenient market with automatic pricing would be a massive boon.

The GeneBooth already exists and does exactly that for Genetics, and it has demonstrably been a positive addition.
(02-21-2020, 09:19 AM)Mordent Wrote: I am personally not a fan of this idea as I believe it will even further remove interactions between mining and the rest of the station. With this, they just need to stuff ore into a thing and that's it.

I'm speaking as a player rather than a coder at this point, I've not looked into the technical side of this patch.

Much like genetics, mining is doings its best, most effective work when they're, well, working. The most fun and dynamic experiences for mining are in the trench or otherwise off station, and given the choice between managing the incredibly annoying and, frankly, inconvenient process of sorting the piles, packaging them, and distributing their goods to the station manually vs just... not doing that... well, they choose not to, and I don't really blame them.

this is essentially the mining analogue to the genebooth. it allows mining to do their best work **and** positively contribute to the station, easily. it also solves several issues with sorting and managing the hundreds and thousands of ores they might mine over the course of a round by providing a nice, easy, menu based way to get exact amounts of ores.

it'll even split stacks you accidentally combined into single ore chunks, if that's what you need (a la erebite or miracle matter)

There's a cost for all this convenience, and it presents a dynamic where the QM has some level of control over that convenience, increasing mining-qm interactions where they negotiate prices based on the cut mining wants and what the station will actually pay for.

overall, I think that not every job **needs** to be defined by interactions with other players. in fact, I think the presence of jobs which benefit or take advantage of limited interactions help ss13 keep a wider appeal, and it makes it really hecking funny when you force an interaction with these jobs (insert picture of nuke in genetics here)
I agree that some jobs should inherently have different levels of social interaction (As well as other things like technical mechanics) and mining is a job really suited for low level interactions outside your own department and engineering.

In an ideal situation, Mining interacts and deals with QM, who in turn would interact with the departments, crewmen, and merchants that need and want the supplies and materials Mining can get.
Now the question I have is - can miners sell chem-infused ores through this?
Because that would be the real deal to go all out for creative miner stuff - selling chem-mixed ore for stationeers to craft floor-tiles with and so on!

Really sick my dude! Looking forward to see this in the game! big grin