Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make Escape Pods Safer
Escape Pods should remain death traps when there isn't a shuttle, but it's practically not worth taking one to the escape shuttle after it takes off because you're probably gonna just gonna be thrown back the second you get out anyways.

And this is coming from someone who is ready to chuck items to propel themselves to the shuttle when they get out.

Maybe make it stop near the door and prop invisible walls behind it for a second so that you're not immediately flung to your death when you get out?
While I don't think I want the invisible walls thing, I'd at least like escape pods to impart you with a bit of momentum after exiting a pod that's failed or ejecting out of one that's about to. Getting out only to be stuck in space is really frustrating. I know how to navigate in space, but it really doesn't make sense given that you can still move after exiting out of any other space pod.
the point is it's supposed to suck and be dingy and dangerous. no
I think the point originally was to dunk on people who don't know they're not safe, given that they used to never work.

I support making them reliably shove you into the channel. I also think they should veer violently into the shuttle and explode against it, giving you a chance to grab onto the shuttle and crawl inside. (make it hurt the rider, but not the peeps inside the shuttle, when this happens).

The fun in escape pods is the fight with other players to get inside one when there is a limited number. if they don't work reliably, they're not worth fighting over. I think the RNG hell has overstayed its welcome.
Remove RNG

Add $$$ for increase chance of success. More $ = more success. I'd go so far to say that if someone has a shit ton of money, the escape pod doesnt even eject the player, but instead rides along beside the shuttle and docks safely at centcom. (Although, it should ride along in tandem to a window in case some jerk wants to shoot at it)

See my ancient thread idea for more
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=1533
(11-27-2019, 08:57 AM)OMJ Wrote: the point is it's supposed to suck and be dingy and dangerous. no

This made sense when all they did was drive around in circles and explode, but if it's going to drive you to the shuttle only for you to fall too far behind it anyways, it just seems like the coders want to give people a massive middle finger.

I mean, it was a massive middle finger anyway but at least it wasn't behind a mile long tunnel with several signs insisting "Good things down this tunnel".  Just behind a curtain with a sign saying free cupcake.

As Ursula mentioned:

Quote:I think the point originally was to dunk on people who don't know they're not safe, given that they used to never work.
(11-27-2019, 10:12 AM)Technature Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 08:57 AM)OMJ Wrote: the point is it's supposed to suck and be dingy and dangerous. no

This made sense when all they did was drive around in circles and explode, but if it's going to drive you to the shuttle only for you to fall too far behind it anyways, it just seems like the coders want to give people a massive middle finger.

I mean, it was a massive middle finger anyway but at least it wasn't behind a mile long tunnel with several signs insisting "Good things down this tunnel".  Just behind a curtain with a sign saying free cupcake.

As Ursula mentioned:

Quote:I think the point originally was to dunk on people who don't know they're not safe, given that they used to never work.

Ah, totally misconstrued this post- you’re right
I dunno, I always find it incredibly amusing when I get launched into space instead of safety
(11-27-2019, 10:12 AM)Technature Wrote:

As Ursula mentioned:

When I joined 6+ months ago though it seemed like escape pods actually had an ok chance of working. It still required prep and it was always a desperate move since even reaching the hyperspace z-level was a gamble. But if you made it and were prepared to space walk you could do it. There was definitely a period where you could make it work.

Nowadays though you have one chance of success: You have to spawn on the right side of the shuttle in hyperspace such that when you're thrown out you are thrown into the shuttle. I don't get the rationale of this. As you said, if it's supposed to be a total noob trap why make it so appealing? And I don't see this change in the changelog when it's definitely the kind of thing that *should* be in the changelog. It does just seem like the coders creating a garden that leads down to a middle finger.
I've wanted them to ALWAYS make it to the shuttle when its in transit but you still have to eject yourself and then throw shit to reach the shuttle afterwards. Some of my most fun moments were doing that. Its very fun/tense.
(11-27-2019, 01:05 PM)phyvo Wrote: When I joined 6+ months ago though it seemed like escape pods actually had an ok chance of working. It still required prep and it was always a desperate move since even reaching the hyperspace z-level was a gamble. But if you made it and were prepared to space walk you could do it. There was definitely a period where you could make it work.

Nowadays though you have one chance of success: You have to spawn on the right side of the shuttle in hyperspace such that when you're thrown out you are thrown into the shuttle. I don't get the rationale of this. As you said, if it's supposed to be a total noob trap why make it so appealing? And I don't see this change in the changelog when it's definitely the kind of thing that *should* be in the changelog. It does just seem like the coders creating a garden that leads down to a middle finger.

i'm the one who originally made escape pods transport you to the shuttle instead of always failing
this whole situation is weird because I don't think anyone has touched pods at all since I last coded them. Its possible some unrelated systems change or optimization or something has caused them to be a lot more unsafe.
its far more likely that its not in the changelog because it was an accident, not because of some spite

it would also help to have a picture or video example, the way i've always used the pods is to wait until they fly me in front of the shuttle and then unboard so I slam the windshield. are they throwing you diagonally when you exit the pod or something??
No, they just go forward without stopping. You leave one and you get pushed back and to the left.

Which means if you're on the left side of the ship you're probably screwed anyway, even if you're throwing shit from the get go.
I've noticed too that something changed with the escape pods recently, a while back there was a good chance that you didn't even get flung away when you ejected from the pod and just stood still where you ejected, now it basically instantly throws you away with enough speed that you can't possibly stop the momentum anymore.

I don't have any idea about coding or such things, but I really suspect it's some optimization thing that causes the hyperspace fling to grab on faster and more frequently. Before you also could sometimes just go out the door from the shuttle and go along the walls quite easily without getting flung around at all, but that was made much harder at some point as the hyperspace fling grabs on much more reliably the instant you go outside the door now so I'm betting it's got something to do with the fix to that.
Oh. Yeah when I use to do that when you ejected in hyperspace you just stood there and could throw stuff to get to the shuttle. if as soon as you leave the pod you get flung off into hyperspace thats no fun.
I like the fact that the pods don't always get you to the shuttle - they shouldn't be the preferred meta of safely getting aboard the while avoiding an early hellmix or canbomb.

However, I've also noticed of late that it fails much more than it used to, and as others have already said when it arrives at the shuttle you'll probably be flung out and insta-killed. I reckon a balance should be kept between pods exploding or not arriving at the shuttle and it actually working - but if it makes it to the shuttle, you should be able to eject without any chance of being hurled away. Or the idea about it crashing into the shuttle - that'd be neat as well.