Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Goonstation Monthly Contest: November Edition!
(11-29-2019, 05:02 PM)saccharineChampion Wrote: Re:Huh? vs ???, I figured the tradeoff of making Huh? fit in exchange for simplicity of the ??? wasn't my jam.
This is kinda what meant when I said putting ??? instead of Huh? was "interesting". It's good to fit the Huh? in, but the ??? has its own appeal, you know?

(11-29-2019, 05:02 PM)saccharineChampion Wrote: The text was by far the hardest bit of Cat (I figure it's hard to distinguish unless you know what you're looking for or stare at it awhile, but I replaced the ram with a cat, using a greyscale version of the ingame sprite as a model.), I blame the sides for taking up so much of the composition!

Heh, I didn't notice it was a cat until after I made my post, when I realized the tail seemed a little too long for a sheep. I find it kinda hilarious, imagining someone treating a cat like a farm animal.

And the thing about the sides is true. If you completely axe the sides--which I wouldn't recommend, because they're beautiful and help it stand out against the other entries--you'd have enough space for a fairly squished "RAM". If you were going with just "CAT", you'd have to chop off less.

Also, I didn't comment on this before, and it has nothing to do with the contest, but I've noticed you have some interesting image links for your entries. My favorite is the one with "Sweet Fart Sweet Light".

Time for my own entries.

[Image: Hl7G0Fr.png]
For all those tracks to drift through space to. Very happy with how this turned out; if I had to submit only one thing for the contest, I'd pick this one. Useless fact: the sleeve uses a rejected design I made for the figurine bag suggestion thread.

[Image: RJJsg55.png]
And for all those honky, farty, and generally clown-y tracks too. I'm kinda happy with the musical staff background, but for some reason, I've never been quite satisfied with the colors of the note and border. Still, latter's in clown suit colors, so there's that.

[Image: mq4LEPU.png]
Here's an album some coder at /tg/station seems to really like: The Protomen (2005) by, well, the Protomen, a rock opera about a robot who fights for hope. I'm happy with how the CRT scanlines, shining light, and cityscape turned out, even though the last one took a few tries. The album art has a cool logo for the band, which I distilled into a P and an m flanking a t shaped like a glittering star of hope.

[Image: 5pNYxa2.png]
From one of my favorite bands, the Megas, this time going under the name The Belmonts for their Castlevania-themed The Belmonts EP. The art has a cool magenta-cyan-yellow outline effect on the creature, neither of which I could quite replicate (notice the poses are different, and mine is only in one color), so here's some red winged figure who looks like they should be on the Hanged Man tarot card. On the other hand, I'm happy with the text work.

[Image: cWSyaL5.png]
Another EP from the Megas/the Belmonts. This time it's Skulls, whose Vampire Killer track I've quoted probably way too many times in-game.  Another case of artistic license on my part too; note how there's no cool calligraphy or lighting effects, the wing looks different, the blood drip on the winged vampire girl is much cleaner, said vampire girl is holding the skull mask instead of levitating it, and said skull mask isn't cast this cool shadow effect thing on said girl. Speaking of which, I used/resized a few SS13 sprites for this entry, which was weirdly fun.

[Image: DL736tW.png]
Finally, here's a picture of what they might look like in-game, using Manta's Communications Office because I don't have a good picture of the debris field radio ship yet. Perhaps too bright, but maybe the lighting will soften things a little. 

For the curious, some WIP images, all in one image because of the 10 image limit. 
[Image: apkZv7X.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goonstation Monthly Contest: November Edition! - by Studenterhue - 11-30-2019, 02:06 PM