Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Goonstation Monthly Contest: November Edition!
Star 
Hi all! Welcome back to your regular programming of monthly contests. Hopefully you've had a nice October and are looking forward to November. Make sure to stay warm in these colder winter months (if you're in the northern hemisphere) and also to get plenty of sunlight! queen greater domestic space-bee

For this month's contest, we'll be having a sprite drive! There are three categories, and you can submit as many sprites to as many categories as you'd like. 

Radio record sleeves: Space winter is coming, and the records at the radio station are getting a little chilly. Sprite them some cozy sleeves to live in! The records themselves are already pretty big, and the sleeves are 24x25 (hxw). Make sure to decorate them with your own space art! 

NSS Artemis assets: UrsulaMejor is working on some super cool exploration features, and she needs a lot of different assets for all the exploring you'll be able to do! This includes sprites of planets, derelicts, asteroid fields, ships, gas clouds, and more. For additional information, visit the official thread

Gang mode assets: Kyle is reworking gang mode and he has a very long wishlist of sprites. They're mostly weapons or gimmicky outfits, and you should probably check out the official thread for specifics. 

Prizes this month will be a little different. There will be no voting. As long as you submit a good faith 'n effort sprite, you'll be added to a pool of contestants. At the end of the month, we'll randomly select five people from that pool for stickers + the exclusive winner medal. Submitting lots of sprites or to more than one category is highly encouraged, but will not impact your chances. If you do want to influence them, along with making a submission, you can post (make a separate post!) in this thread complimenting someone else's sprite(s) or offering constructive feedback and essentially double your luck (your name will be added twice to the pool) Dr. Acula

Shoutout to Studenterhue for coming up with this contest idea and suggesting sprites for record sleeves! Sleeping bee If you have any ideas or suggestions for future contests, let me know! 

I hope you'll have lots of fun being creative and artistic. As always, thanks for being part of the Goonstation community! Boogiebot
(11-02-2019, 10:27 PM)Flourish Wrote: Radio record sleeves: Space winter is coming, and the records at the radio station are getting a little chilly. Sprite them some cozy sleeves to live in! The records themselves are already pretty big, so a good size for the sleeves would probably be 30-32 pixels. Make sure to decorate them with your own space art! 

Mind posting a reference image, pretty please smile
Oh that reminds me.

Records are 22x22 and look like this:
[Image: 6REg2ge.png]

The current record sleeve sprite is 24x25 (that's height x width) and looks like this:
[Image: 0wJmOOo.png]
Better version posted below. Ignore this post.
What even is a shelter bee?
[Image: gmKNLta.png]

Coming to your local spacestation this summer: THUNDERSCORE!!!
[Image: Q7XjfF4.png]

Pentacles are a timeless classic, aren't they?
[Image: TmrmuJI.png] [Image: lK6Q2cH.png]

A record (and now also a sleeve) for all the LGBT+ friends here:
[Image: fzHcQz8.png] [Image: GzdSmPQ.png]

Might as well make a trans pride record, right?
[Image: aBcqdZq.png] [Image: YDHd3in.png]

And non-binary
[Image: sFwuzw0.png] [Image: nW9HpYG.png]

There's a limit of 10 images per post and I'm too lazy to put everything into a zip so I'm just gonna link the last one - AI sleeve and AI record

I wanted to do the rest of the LGBTQ+ sleeves and records but didn't quite have the time, sorry. : (
[Image: WYPe05r.png] Captain Beefheart: Trout Mask Replica.
[Image: KgoGVQ5.png]
[Image: 1lp3z3r.png]
Dang, this record's nuclear.
Who wants fruit cake?
[Image: BqgXvMT.png]
[Image: NPKtKY6.png]
[Image: bmW41i7.png]

Side Note:
Hey Tewf, I'd recommend using dark greys instead of black, makes it look more realistic since pure black is near impossible irl, otherwise I think it looks great big grin
[Image: 220px-Money_1973.jpg]
Thanks for the feedback Wise, I made some changes, and really like the end result with the darker grey instead of black.
[Image: S36CdN1.png]
(11-06-2019, 06:24 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: Oh that reminds me.

Records are 22x22 and look like this:
[Image: 6REg2ge.png]

The current record sleeve sprite is 24x25 (that's height x width) and looks like this:
[Image: 0wJmOOo.png]

Thanks so much for the reference icons Studenterhue! spider I'll correct my post with the appropriate dimensions.

Everyone's art looks really cool and fun! And this won't be part of the contest, but if you have any royalty free/public domain music you'd like to see (hear) ingame, let me know on Discord! I'm sure a lot of us are getting tired of the radio station's limited repertoire, and expanding its collection would be nice.
[Image: UG6aPPG.png] Based off an Album I enjoy in real life
[Image: EHNSMTw.png] Because a bit of Skull art should always be ready
[Image: nLp6cUM.png] Because eye think this last one looked interesting enough
I hope as many of these as possible get into the game, they're looking great!

Nice edit Tewf, looks perfect big grin
Those all look amazing @pali. The only thing I would change is the middle of the record on the pentagram looks a little too small compared to the others. But that might just be the size of the records and that particular design. Regardless the rest are 10/10
NOTE: NOT MY FINAL ENTRY, JUST POSTING HERE
Thought I might post some of the records I've been doing for the monthly here.
[Image: a70623fca01cef859b9b73a9e8e85a1e.png]
You get a prize if you can guess each one.

Pali's records and sleeves look really nice, and Val's disk sleeve is pretty damn cool too.

quick note from future schwick: if im an idiot and forget to post any more sprites for the monthly before the deadline is up feel free to count this as my entire submission
Record sleeves are a magical thing.

[Image: X9J5g3M.png]
[Image: 5Dg1ah2.png]
[Image: DSIALZ8.png]
[Image: Ruq4kZi.png]
[Image: Cxfn9Hm.png]
[Image: sMUn3Nj.png]
[Image: 7K1h6l5.png]
[Image: juY3pjX.png]
[Image: j8rvQzz.png]
[Image: x5NJHv1.png]

Another post, because I can only cram 10 images in one.

This should allow for easier viewing of the sleeves I posted above.

[Image: uvIaw5q.png]

Also, I saw on the gang document that a revolver of the Yeehaw Age was in demand, so I made this.
[Image: gYBjZaP.png][Image: N9bkfR3.png]
Available in left and right facing directions, so you can't yell at me for making the gun face the wrong way (as if such consistency existed.)