Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Make mining actually relevant again.
It has come to my attention on the discord that everything that doesn't require telecrystal can now be crafted using resources found on the station at roundstart, making mining completely irrelevant. Anything that requires a power source can be done with ectoplasm, and anything that requires a high-energy conductor can be done with any conductor. This means the few things that previously required cooperation with mining to make (advanced borg upgrades, self-charging small power cells, and the best pod parts) now can be made at roundstart, making miners a completely useless job. As such, I suggest we simply revert these misguided buffs, making ectoplasm no longer count as a power source and making high energy conductors require claretine or electrum again.

Of course, reversing this would just be the first step, as even then things that would need help from mining to make are few and far between, so I will be suggesting some BRAND NEW items that can only be made with mining's help.

I am gonna try to give every fabricator type at least one new item that requires parts from mining to make. Actual material numbers are just me throwing out numbers based on the wiki page for mining items, so feel free to suggest more reasonable amounts.

General
  • Laser welder: 10 crystal, 15 any metal, 7 high energy conductor. Uses a small power cell (already craftable at nanofabs) instead of welding fuel. Doesn't cause eye damage when used without a mask.
  • Omnitool: 10 sturdy metal, 10 crystal, 1 power source, 10 conductor. Exactly the same as the ones borgs get, now usable by humans.
Pod Components
Just making high energy conductors and power sources need mining to obtain again would already do a lot for pods, but just in case I will include something here
  • Mk.2 Scout Laser: requires hacking the manufacturer, 15 sturdy metal, 15 high energy conductor, 15 crystal. Same as the ones in the armory, except now you can get them without an emag when there isn't a HoS.
Medical
  • Auto-defibrilator: 5 power source, 10 conductor, 15 crystal, 15 any material. Can either be used on someone directly by standing next to them and holding still like an automender, or can go into the outer suit slot to work automatically. When active, uses ultra-low-power electrical shocks constantly to maintain the patients heart rhythm, preventing them from going into cardiac arrest as well as fixing cardiac arrest if it has already occurred, regardless of how injured the patient is, and doesn't cause burn damage like normal defibs. Can work for ~1 minute before running out of power, and recharges passively when not active. If it is emagged, uses constant high-power electrical shocks to knock the victim out and burn them continuously, but burns through it's power supply in only 10 seconds, and fries the self-charging mechanism, forcing you to use rechargers instead.
  • Surgical laser: 1 power source, 5 crystal, 5 any material, 5 high energy conductor. Can be used inhand to toggle between low-power mode where it acts like a scalpel and high-power mode where it acts like a circular saw. Does much less damage to the patient during surgery than normal tools, and automatically cauterizes bleeding.
  • Paramedic space armor: 10 dense metal, 5 insulative material, 7 high energy conductor, 3 high density matter. Mostly a medbay-themed version of the industrial space armor, sharing it's radiation resistance, lack of slowdown, and decent armor, but trades out the explosive resistance for disease immunity.
Robotics
Like pod components, robotics used to have a bunch of stuff that needed mining to obtain before ectoplasm was made a power source and all conductors were made high energy conductors, but I have a few ideas for new items so I am gonna suggest away.
  • Magtractor upgrade: 5 power source, 15 high energy conductor, 5 high density matter. Gives the upgraded borg, regardless of module, a magtractor like the ones ghostdrones have. Lacks most of the restrictions that ghostdrone magtractors have, but still can't fire guns.
  • Advanced cyborg components: 30 dense metal, 25 high energy conductor, 5 power source for full set. Looks cool as heck, black and bright blue. More importantly, it has the same speed as light components while having only slightly lower health than heavy components, and the head has a built-in emergency eject module that will shoot out the brain in the event of the borg taking fatal damage. When the limbs are attached to a human, advanced arms can break handcuffs instantly like standard borg arms, but also can pry open unpowered airlocks without a crowbar and make it harder for people to break out of your grabs; advanced legs likewise instantly break shackles, move at the same speed as a human with treads, and negates confused movement from flashbangs.
Mining
  • Handheld plasma cutter: 10 power source, 15 high energy conductor, 15 sturdy metal. Acts exactly like the pod plasma cutters, firing a projectile that instantly breaks any rocks it passes though and deals low damage but sets people on fire. Can fire 8 shots before needing recharge.
Yeah I am not sure if all of these items are balanced, but hopefully this will give people an actual reason to want help from miners instead of them just being a glorified space explorer job. See ya later.
I'm honestly not sure what materials you're thinking of here. I can't recall anything on the station that works as Dense Metal, High Energy Conductor, Reflective Material, or High-Density Crystalline Matter.
I'd also recommend having a sort of "ore bank" that persists between rounds, where miners put mats in and most of it'll be available next shift. That way, people can enjoy all the fun stuff miners dig up for more than the couple of minutes remaining in the round when they finally get it. And also so that the massive pile of guff the miners dig up wont necessarily go to waste, since there's only so many minutes in a round.

And it wouldnt be so much of an infinite source of high-end materials available at round-start, cus that fancy stuff would run out, and, maybe something like a cap to how much of each material it can hold?
(12-09-2019, 06:10 AM)Mouse Wrote: I'm honestly not sure what materials you're thinking of here. I can't recall anything on the station that works as Dense Metal, High Energy Conductor, Reflective Material, or High-Density Crystalline Matter.

Agreed. And this doesn't appear to be the case of having at roundstart as the only time robotics tends to get materials for the borg upgrades is either when a borg goes mining or miners send us things?
doesnt molitz count as high density matter lmao
It does not count as high density crystalline matter if that's what you're thinking of. Only uqill and t3 gems count there. (Plus, presumably, starstone but I ain't testing that) If you're thinking of the power hammer then the listed requirements aren't the actual requirements.
rcd refill carts accept molitz dont thry
(12-10-2019, 05:12 PM)Adhara In Space Wrote: rcd refill carts accept molitz dont thry

They do
Molitz is High Density Crystalline Matter; I've tested it across multiple manufacturers. Power Hammers do list the correct requirements. (The only manufacturer recipe that I'm aware of that doesn't exists in the robotics fab.) There are other HD crystals in addition to molitz; the only tier that only uqill and clear quartz (and probably starstone; it's hard to get data on that) cover is Extremely High Density Crystalline Matter.

Notably, molitz is the only common material that counts as HD crystal without also covering a higher tier of crystal. The only other materials that are HD are ectofibre (insanely rare) and inferior quartz (basically drops as commonly as uqill). There are two tiers above HD crystal that're pretty much only covered by the other two quartz types, starstone, and uqill.

I don't really have anything else to say on the topic except that having all these tiers is kind of dumb when uqill is the only reasonably available material that works.

e: miraclium also exists I guess but it's randomly assigned a crystal tier so it's not reliable!!!!!
Very High Density Crystalline Matter is what I was thinking of. Somehow I never noticed that the two had different names. (also there's an Extraordinarily High Density Crystalline Matter used in the Ship Component fab. As far as I know it accepts everything Industrial Armor (the very high density one) accepts.

That said I'm still not sure what on the station works as Dense Metal or High Energy Conductor. (And, technically, Reflective Material but IIRC that's only used in a recipe in the hacked Personnel Manufacturer. Possibly in some of the cybereyes? I haven't hacked a robotics fab in ages.)
The manufacturers need to show what materials count as what requirements tbqh. It's something I've looked into but I don't recall why I put it on hold.