Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Auto-surgery tool for traitor cybernetics
After spending a round installing the new internal organs, and having the Doctoring page up as a reference, I started browsing through the wiki to look at what other internal organs exist. I was reminded that polarized cybereyes are a thing.

Maybe traitor-specific cybernetics could come with their own implanter-style item that automagically does the surgery on you without the need for a table? This way, more people might be inclined to pick up the polarized eyes, and it opens up the possibilities for other traitor organs!

A few quick examples off the top of my head:
  • Cyberlungs that give you a breath ability that applies a chem on adjacent people! Like a sleepypen, but a lot more obvious when you use it as the downside to always having it available.
  • Bangcreas. Eat sugary snacks, get low-grade explosives.
Such an automatic surgery tool would be a good tell that there's an antagonist about without totally giving things away, like if you see a microbomb implanter in a maintenance hallway. Let's give antagonists some new tools and revitalise old ones!
I like this idea. It doesn't even necessarily have to be a traitor item even. Oshan has sechud eyes in a box for sec officers and they rarely see use, adding this to that box could make them better.
I'm thinking like a single or capped use tool that you place an organ in, then use it on yourself and it replaces your current organ with that one. Maybe it could involve more screaming and mechanical whirring noises.
(09-26-2019, 12:50 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: I like this idea. It doesn't even necessarily have to be a traitor item even. Oshan has sechud eyes in a box for sec officers and they rarely see use, adding this to that box could make them better.
I'm thinking like a single or capped use tool that you place an organ in, then use it on yourself and it replaces your current organ with that one. Maybe it could involve more screaming and mechanical whirring noises.

Sounds perfect for a handheld artifact. Comes pre-loaded with some random, possibly alien organ (or cybernetic if robot origin) and can be reloaded once activated.
If it's a limited-use tool, maybe robotics fabricators could make them? That way it'd be a lot easier for roboticists to set up shop in the marketplace, newbies could do surgery faster at the cost of resources, and you could scatter a few around some workplaces like the aforementioned HUD eyes.
An auto-surgeon would be handy-dandy, and I'd love to see one implemented.

There's definitely some things that need to be fleshed out though:

1. Materials cost
  2. Capabilities/Limitations
  3. Amount of uses
  4. How it's actually used
So, here's my current ideas to answer the above:

1. It should cost some materials that are near impossible to obtain without Mining's help (Though there should be a few pre-existing ones in Medbay)
    Perhaps Viscerite and Claretine to make new Auto-Surgeons?
  2. Perhaps they should be limited to organs - so, incapable of removing and replacing limbs.
  3. A set amount of uses would probably be a good idea, instead of a random amount.
    Additionally, Medical Borgs should have unlimited uses of their Auto-Surgeon (though it should eat up a not-insignificant amount of charge)Perhaps different kinds of surgeries eat up more uses? For example, heart replacements would eat up, say, 3 uses out of the 5 that an Auto-Surgeon has (arbitrary numbers), though removing shrapnel and bullets from your chest would cost 1 use to remove ALL of the shrapnel.
  4. When you use the Auto-Surgeon in your hand, it should open a menu which prompts you to choose a body part (Head, Chest, Left Arm, etc.). Upon selecting a body part, you should be able to select the type of surgery you'd like to perform. The Auto-Surgeon can then load an organ into it to replace the targeted organ, or if there is no organ within the Auto-Surgeon, then it'll simply remove the organ. Additionally, you should be able to click on an organ (say, a heart lying on a table or an eye in a box) to load it into the Auto-Surgeon - particularly handy for Cyborgs.

Auto-Surgeons should be instant when used on yourself, but should take time when you use it on someone else - so it doesn't make intentional medical malpractice via vivisection any easier.
i disagree with allowing robots to use an item like that, also if i was to create the item i'd make them all single use and hard to create like aft2001 said. perhaps an emagged version of an autosurgeon can replace brains/hearts/etc. with silly items like tomatoes and wrenches.
I suggest that this comes with an immobile, power consuming, Mechanics duplicatable auto surgeon in Robotics. Could install organs the same way as the portable units, and with an ID scan from the Roboticist, can debrain someone slowly and loudly. Emagging would make it much faster and much messier, gibbing some organs in exchange for removing all of them when activated.