Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.22 Average
Overheard On The Station (And Elsewhere)
Quote:(8:57 PM) <&drsingh> "I HEARD SOME THINGS, SINGH." beeps I-BUDDY-M. "THINGS THAT MAKE ME UNHAPPY."
(8:58 PM) <@hukhukhuk> drsingh screams.
(8:58 PM) <@hukhukhuk> no one can hear you scream in the hell-space.
(8:58 PM) <@hukhukhuk> GAME OVER
(8:58 PM) <@Spacebee> [LLJK EU 4] is starting a new round!
Quote:[23:53:46] <MaRcUstheDAWG> I have a lore about a NT-ified version of MLP because of that whole avatar debacle
[23:54:06] <MaRcUstheDAWG> It's called My Little Buddy, for some reason, I felt it was a good idea, because lore.
[23:54:13] <drsingh> thats not a good idea
[23:54:15] <drsingh> that's the greatest idea
[23:54:36] <drsingh> lets make a my little buddy fanfic forum
[23:54:38] <MaRcUstheDAWG> really?
[23:54:45] <Kayle7> lmao
[23:54:55] <drsingh> and unironically post our OC bees and buddies
[23:55:08] <Kayle7> this is Bumbling Twinkler, my OC bee
ErikHanson Wrote:
Quote:[23:53:46] <MaRcUstheDAWG> I have a lore about a NT-ified version of MLP because of that whole avatar debacle
[23:54:06] <MaRcUstheDAWG> It's called My Little Buddy, for some reason, I felt it was a good idea, because lore.
Is marcus back to his weird buddy crap? Ew.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:
ErikHanson Wrote:
Is marcus back to his weird buddy crap? Ew.
been this way for a week or two, guy has been hanging around in #sol a lot bugging people with silly ideas for buddy things.. oh sigh
ErikHanson Wrote:
ErikHanson Wrote:
been this way for a week or two, guy has been hanging around in #sol a lot bugging people with silly ideas for buddy things.. oh sigh

actually i am praised by this and the weird pony avatars gave me an idea for a parody so here we go.
the admins actually praised me for this

MaRcuSTheDAWG Wrote:
ErikHanson Wrote:Frogsiren ponyquote Frogsiren

actually i am praised by this and the weird pony avatars gave me an idea for a parody so here we go.
the admins actually praised me for this

Overheard in the Overheard On The Station thread. How meta. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!
Marcus, sometimes people use sarcasm to mock other people's ideas. Please stop being weird for the love of God.
Hufflaw Wrote:Marcus, sometimes people use sarcasm to mock other people's ideas. Please stop being weird for the love of God.

drsingh didn't even use sarcasm, he literally said my idea was amazing

but he is a weirdo too
MaRcuSTheDAWG Wrote:but he is a weirdo too
You're the weirdo here, replacing MLP characters with buddies? Talking about buddies the entire time on IRC? wtf wtf
ErikHanson Wrote:
MaRcuSTheDAWG Wrote:but he is a weirdo too
You're the weirdo here, replacing MLP characters with buddies? Talking about buddies the entire time on IRC? wtf wtf

and i was ponder why i did it wtf wtf wtf wtf
I used to be a shitlark, and through lots of painful and embarrassing experiences online learned how to act within online communities, and online in general.

The best methodology I learned for online is twofold: Formality and restraint. Marcus, you don't really have either.

Formality is best because people take you more seriously, and, in general, being more formal allows you to better convey your arguments. In short, use good syntax (Structure), decent diction (Words), and for gods sake don't forget punctuation.

Restraint keeps people's views of you as positive. If you say nothing, then people have nothing of you to base off of to dislike you with. Of course, you still want to say something, so the ultimate goal is to say nothing that will rub people the wrong way, and you would only act against this principal if you think what you want to say must be said. (And I mean, must be said.) Think when you want to say something, do people really want it to be heard? Generally, exercising extreme restraint upon entering a new community is preferred, until you learn what is and isn't acceptable in said community. Lack of restraint is the reason people get into spats with you, Marcus, so try showing more, and you'd be surprised in the change with how people treat you online.

A third, slightly weaker aspect is the nature of funny. Funny is like a muscle, it's something that needs to be exercised, and it's use practiced. While formality can go out the window for funny things, restraint is absolutely critical, or you risk a joke going horribly sour. Funny takes a long term to learn, and generally should be foregone until you better know the community you choose to enter.

Finally, Keep in mind that the fundamental point of internet forums is discussion. While you can occasionally just leave comments, to have a good comment, you need to have something that people can talk about. Leading into more discussion is a very good thing.

...and that's all for internet discussion 101 today. Classes will resume sometime before the next century.
Okay that's enough about that topic, let's go back to quotes from the game and IRC now.
OOC: Sartorius7: Of course not, this is space station 13, where the lag is so bad I end up becoming a terrorist
Mageziya Wrote:OOC: Sartorius7: Of course not, this is space station 13, where the lag is so bad I end up becoming a terrorist
Sounds like an intro to Who's Line.
Heard on IRC

Quote:atomic1fire: Headsurgeon how many bears could you fight

@HeadSurgeon: bears are not going anywhere pretty